Skip to content

Change font size

Dehumidifier?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Dehumidifier?

Unread postby Big Dave on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:20 am

Does anyone run a dehumidifier in their RV? I'm sitting here typing trying to look outside and the windows are just covered in moisture and can't see a darned thing. It's cold outside and we have the heat going so the condensation is building up. Will a dehumidifier cure my problem or is their another solution?
2008 Wildcat 27RLSE Fifth Wheel.
2004 Chevy 2500 HD with 6.0 gasser.
Big Dave

Re: Dehumidifier?

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:48 am

The easy way is to simply crack open a window ever so slightly and add ventilation. If your cooking make sure you run the exhaust fan as that can add alot of extra moisture to the air.

Unfortunately this results in heat loss, which requires the furnace to run more often, which costs money.

A dehumidifier would be entirely workable so long as you have the space and power - most draw a surprisingly decent amount of electricity as after-all, they are really a moderately sized Air Conditioner working in reverse.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:55 am

When camping in cold weather my windows get pretty wet and difficult to see thorough. I purchased a squeegee from walmart that is just like the ones used in service stations for window washing and use the rubber end to clean off condensation from the windows. It only takes a minute and usually lasts for an hour or so. If you're getting condensation on walls or ceilings then that would be a more serious issue though.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:57 am

Dehmidifier will work but will also freeze i would try cracking a skylite like PP said.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Dave on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:59 am

Thanks guys. I was just going to mention that I'm also getting it on the walls especially up at the front by the bed. I don't think there is hardly any insulation in that area and it gets pretty wet. I think I can spare the room just need to take a tape measure with me when I go shopping for one.
Big Dave

Unread postby Big Dave on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Zinger wrote:Dehmidifier will work but will also freeze i would try cracking a skylite like PP said.

The dehumidifier would only be on when we are camping and keeping it heated. Otherwise it will not be operational. I plan on a direct line to the outside so I don't have to drain it or at least send it to the grey tank.
Big Dave

Unread postby rumrunner on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Fortunately, I am able to store my Sandpiper behind my house, next to my outbuilding where I ran a 30 amp RV outlet. Last fall, I noticed condensation on my cabinet doors. I put out 4 tubs of DryEz and they didn't faze the moisture. So I made a trip to Lowes. Bought a 50 pint dehumidifier for $188 and plugged it in. This model works down to 38 degrees, and if the forecast was for lower temps I just emptied the tank and turned it off. I haven't had any mold or mildew problems, it doesn't draw that much current and I slept a lot better at night knowing unwanted things weren't growing in my trailer. It takes up about the same amount of storage space as a couple of rolled up sleeping bags, and I feel it was worth every penny it cost me.
When all else fails, read instructions.

2002 Forest River Sandpiper 30FKSS
2000 Silverado 2500 6.0L/3.73
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
rumrunner

Unread postby Big Dave on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:17 pm

I hadn't thought about the mold issue but it's a good point. Makes me want to get one all that much quicker.
Big Dave

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:30 pm

I have one of the "Dri-Air" pellet based dehumidifiers in our TT over the winter months and have only noticed any appreciable amount of moisture in the cup in the last few weeks since the temperatures started to warm up and bring the interior of the trailer up to much warmer temps through the day, while still cooling off at night.

Through the winter months I barely saw any amount of liquid in the cup.

That said, I find that most TT's aren't air-tight enough to have major moisture issues unless you are actually occupying them during the winter months with heating/cooking, etc.. It sounds like rumrunner has a spectacularly airtight trailer.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby rumrunner on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:35 pm

I don't know about the "spectacularly airtight" part, but we do have a lot of humidity in my area. And I go in it a couple times a week and several times a weekend, so the door is opened quite a bit. I don't go in for any special reason, usually. I just like to be in it. And I like it to be dry when I'm there.
When all else fails, read instructions.

2002 Forest River Sandpiper 30FKSS
2000 Silverado 2500 6.0L/3.73
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
rumrunner

Unread postby Big Dave on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:35 pm

Bought one tonight and just got done starting it up. Shows the humidity in the RV was at 70%. Way too high so I think I had the right idea.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Big Dave

Return to General RV Discussion