Skip to content

Change font size

What KIND of camper are you?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

What KIND of camper are you?

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:04 pm

There are a lot of different KIND of RVr/campers out there. Some stay only at RV Parks with full hook ups, some like boondocking with no amenities at all. Some folks camp on weekends several times during the summer months and others are out there almost every weekend. Some camp primarily as part of their travels and others spend all of their time at seasonal sites and rarely move the RV except possibly at the beginning and end of the season.

We are a little bit of several of these types. We travel a LOT with the trailer, taking three or four trips each year ranging from a few weeks to a few months and from 500 miles to 15,000 miles each. We ALSO take several trips to local lakes and campgrounds of a few days to a week or two.

As to WHERE we camp, our preference is in some remote location on a river bank in the mountains. Since that's not an option in Kansas we ALSO camp in lots of public type campgrounds from state parks, COE or BLM or NFS campgrounds are always good and as a LAST resort we pull into the "Last Resort' or other resort type campgrounds. Usually only for an overnight while traveling. We DO spend some time in a resort campground while on our annual winter trip to South Texas however.

I guess it's kind of hard to fit our style into a single category other than that we DO enjoy RVing.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: What KIND of camper are you?

Unread postby Benny on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:14 pm

We camp mostly in our Provincial Parks. We like the idea of being in the "woods" and having a little privacy. I must say that we've never camped in a private park yet. The ones that I have seen just haven't appealed to us (I don't like the idea of camping in a field with a bunch of other trailers just feet from my doorstep), although I'm sure there are lots of private campgrounds that are just as nice as a Provincial or State Park.
We also tend to travel around to different parks during the summer. This summer we are planning on traveling to the east coast for a couple of weeks.
2005 Glendale Titanium 28E33B
2005 Chev Duramax 2500 CC
Benny

Unread postby Rough2000 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:24 pm

Like you Skip, we take a couple of longer trips a year and next week we will be going to Port Aransas, TX for the month of April (to avoid the yellow season in Arkansas...pine pollen). We will stay in a private campground there, not much else to choose from. We a blessed with the state and federal parks here in Arkansas and normally stay at them several times during the summer, normally for a week at a time. Gee...it's nice to be retired, I can be any kind of a camper I want to be. :lol:
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:51 pm

Since we just stared with the TT last year, we are primarily "tourist". Mostly FHU at a nice campground, but do enjoy State Parks if available in the area. Like to get out and see the sites but do need to spend more time around the campground. Back in the late 60's I used to run the desert around San Diego and Baja. Did a lot of primitive camping then but now we are more of a RVer then camper.
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:17 pm

I really wish we had the vacation time to take long trips, but we don't. Four days tops in the trailer, but a really FUN four days. Usually we put on the backpacks and take off on a trail, set up camp then wake up and hike to find another fun spot for Saturday night, set up camp then leave for home in the morning. Other times we put the saddlebags on the bikes and hit two state beaches for a weekend. If you are hiking or biking you NEVER need a reservation. This is a great way to camp on summer holiday and/or weekends where otherwise you will never get a spot for the trailer anywhere in California in a state beach. As far as the TT goes, we still haven't been to a place with full hookups (Newbies), but we have reservations for the 4th of July in San Diego and we can't wait!! I hope I can actually hook-up without looking looking like the new guy that I am :D .
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:36 pm

We do at least one full-week trip per year. Sometimes to state parks (typically no hook-ups) or to places with full hookups. Every other year, we try to make ths trip to Asseteague Island State Park, then we alternate the off year with anywhere else. We've been to the Maine coast, Lancaster Co., PA, Mystic, CT, Richmond, VA, Washington, DC, and other assorted placed on the off-year. Additionally we do weekend, and long weekends at other places that interest us. So far this year we have long weekends scheuled (and reservations) in Arlington, VT and just outside of Boston, MA. Typivcally, the CG's that we go to on long weekends are full-or partial hook-ups (at leats water & electric). Finally, for the last two years, we've camped at at-least one NA$CAR race. Two years ago it was July in NH, and last September in Dover, DE. We already have our CG reserved for Dover again this Fall!

We typically try to do some sightseeing, using the CG as our base. Last year, in the Washington DC arae, we really spent very little time in the CG, but when we go to Aasseteague, that's much different, as there is plenty to do right there! We are switching from an HTT to a TT this year, so that we can take more distant trips, without a buch of set-up for a quick overnight. That should expand our range, provided that the gasoline companies cooperate!
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

I will admit that I do often gravitate toward full hookup parks simply for the fact that with 4 of us in the trailer (and two kids who are only moderately good at water conservation) it's easier to have all the amenities right at the site.

We have done the WalMart/parking lot routine before if we're just looking for a quiet place to sleep for the night with an early morning departure, so it's not foreign to us, but if we're travelling we generally have a destination campground in mind.

I'd absolutely LOVE to do some hard core boondocking, but unfortunately the mix between city and wild here doesn't offer many realistic locations where you can simply just wander off down a dirt road somewhere and setup camp - it's either on-road, or *waaay* offroad in Ontario. I hear lots about people in the desert areas simply heading off into the sun and finding solitude, but that's just not doable in this neck of the woods.

That aside, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one of the 4 of us in the family that would appreciate real boondocking as opposed to a destination with some campground amenities, and local entertainment/sightseeing.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:38 am

We are primarily weekenders at a campground with full hookups this summer we have 11 weekends reserved we also have a piece of property that we stay on occasionally no hookups but have a kipor 3000w generator the water, clean and dirty is somewhat of an issue I am thinking og putting my own little septic system. Then i will only have to carry clear water.

Its all fun.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Dave on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:55 am

I bought my 5th Wheel primarily for work. We are starting to get jobs that are far enough away from home that commuting is out of the queston plus trying to add in motel and food puts the price out of my customers reach. Ever since buying the 5th at the end of February we've been work camping for a total of 22 days and love it. We are now at Eureka Springs Arkansas for two days of fun camping before heading home. Since I've gotten the fever for camping now we plan on camping at full hookup parks 99% of the time. We do have some Army Corps campgrounds and plan on using those too. I plan on going at least once a month, hopefully more if I can keep from working.
2008 Wildcat 27RLSE Fifth Wheel.
2004 Chevy 2500 HD with 6.0 gasser.
Big Dave

Unread postby kilbrider on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:40 am

Last summer was our first year with the trailer. We spent three weeks exploring Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and our own Provincial Parks here in Newfoundland. Then we spent the rest of the season weekending at a different park each week. We haven't been camping in almost 25 years so it was a lot of fun to "rediscover" some of these parks. We also did a couple of weekends at Terra Nova National Park last year and plan to start off this year there as well. Most Newfoundland Provincial parks are still unserviced, but usually have water and dump facilities available somewhere in the park. This has been changing a little over the past several years however. We did find a couple of PP's that did have water and electric on site, and I must say they spoiled me a little. It is kind of nice to not have to worry about the batteries and water levels when you are off for a weekend.
Leah & Cliff ( just us)
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280WS
2015 Ford F250 XLT, 4X4
kilbrider

Unread postby Rough2000 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:12 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:I will admit that I do often gravitate toward full hookup parks simply for the fact that with 4 of us in the trailer (and two kids who are only moderately good at water conservation) it's easier to have all the amenities right at the site.

We have done the WalMart/parking lot routine before if we're just looking for a quiet place to sleep for the night with an early morning departure, so it's not foreign to us, but if we're travelling we generally have a destination campground in mind.

I'd absolutely LOVE to do some hard core boondocking, but unfortunately the mix between city and wild here doesn't offer many realistic locations where you can simply just wander off down a dirt road somewhere and setup camp - it's either on-road, or *waaay* offroad in Ontario. I hear lots about people in the desert areas simply heading off into the sun and finding solitude, but that's just not doable in this neck of the woods.

That aside, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one of the 4 of us in the family that would appreciate real boondocking as opposed to a destination with some campground amenities, and local entertainment/sightseeing.

I'd love to be a mouse in the corner when you tell (ask) Mrs "I'd rather be in a 5 star hotel" about this boondocking idea. Me thinks you may want to get some of your buddies interested in this idea. LOL

Bill
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby jp rver on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:36 pm

We rarely leave the state of Missouri, and since there are so many state parks within the borders of this state we can always find a new one to visit and still be fairly close to home. With the price of fuel, (I know, beating a dead horse) we likely won't be leaving our home state this year either.

We stay primarily at state and Army COE parks. We also have some land with a small pond we sometimes stay at, but even there we have some electric available. We have only camped without electric a couple times, but would do it again if the need arose. We just like to get away for a weekend a month, and a week or two during the summer.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:00 pm

Like jp river, we do a lot of camping fairly close to home. We have a provincial park that's only a 1/2 hour drive from our front door that we go to quite frequently, but PP's don't provide hookups. We do a ton of weekend camping and we try to make it out on every long weekend. We've done full serve RV parks that are great (Old MacDonald's Farm near Stettler, AB if any of you are out this way is an awesome family campground) and a few that I wouldn't return to. I like to have some hook ups, but we've learned to cope very well without them. The Boy Scouts have a large camp that's fairly close to the city and they have 31 RV sites with power. They also provide a lot of activities for the kids and we've gone out there a few times too. Every year we plan one two or three week trip to somewhere. Last year was southern BC, this year its going to be a trip to Colorado to see DW's sister and her hubby. So I guess I'm saying that when it comes to camping, I'm game for just about anything.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:36 pm

We generally will go out one to two times a month, all year round. (Sorry on of the advantages of living in the Deep South) These are Friday Saturday nights. How ever we will spend four night out at Thanksgiving, and another four to five for New years. We will camp mainly in sate parks as most here have the full hook ups. We also have become found of our new Jellystone Park Most of our camping is within a 100 mile radius of the house. We will be doing a real trip this summer, I guess we are kind of mixed
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby graywolf67 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:49 pm

We are primarely weekend campers, going to state parks close to houston. We love the TX state park system, some offer full hook ups which we prefer, but others especially in the hill country are only water and electric, but I have a 35 gl tote and use that to dump gray water once a day. We also plan a couple of week long trips through the year, and one of those we will be heading out to far west TX big bend country and davis mtns. So see y'all along the trail. :D
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:06 pm

You're very lucky to have a lot of great state parks down there. We love the hill country and spend about half of our time on our winter trips there. One of our favorites is Canyon Lake and Potter Creek campground. DW just loves hand feeding the deer.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Terry on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:17 am

Lazy Camper. Like quiet, cool, mountain CGs. Put up with Myrtle Beach CGs cause that is just about all the beach CGs we jhave around here.
When i camp. there had better be a mountain under me, or a beach in front of me.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby mikhen on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:42 am

A weekender with a few longer trips. Hopefully being able to do all longer trips in the future.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby JQSpree on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:45 am

This is a great thread. We're trying to figure out that very question right now. We just bought out TT in end of Dec, and have been out once each month since for 2 or 3 nights. As tent campers when we were young with kids with mostly state parks and nat'l parks, we just aren't used to rv parks. The full hookups are nice but the high prices and closeness of rv's next to you is not what we like. We have stayed at a big foothills rv park, ocean area med rv park and just got back from foothill (1,200') lake with hookups, no hookups, open area camping. We have probably averaged $40 per night so far which is higher than expected and makes long trips something to plan for.

For this latest trip, we had a full hookup, lake front/view site where you back in at angle and have someone in front and behind you. The view and open land down to lake were very nice and we like this type. We also drove down to the open area and it looked kind of exciting too. People just pulled their rv down near the lake edge and set up camp. Several seemed to have boats or friends who did. Many seemed to have generators, and it looked like they were running their grey water out to open land with a garden hose hookup. I never did ask at the office if this was legal.

So we have seen many types in our 3 trips and are going to state park at Lake Tahoe over Memorial Day, if they will let us in. Hard to decipher the size limits and haven't been there in many years.

Since I am retiring next week and my wife will at end of year, we hope to do more and longer trips. For now, it will be mostly long weekends or maybe a week trip.

John
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:24 pm

JQSpree wrote: Several seemed to have boats or friends who did. Many seemed to have generators, and it looked like they were running their grey water out to open land with a garden hose hookup. I never did ask at the office if this was legal.
John

Most campgrounds do not allow gray water dumping but it is campground specific. Some use a system of filtering gray water through a bunch of gravel buried in the ground but do not allow dumping on the ground. Very FEW would allow dumping within a prescribed distance of a body of water however. Even in disbursed camping areas of national forests or on BLM lands they almost always do not allow gray water dumping close to a water source, be it lake or stream. Unfortunately dumping gray water is one of the most often violated campground rules. If it's dumped on the ground then if OBVIOUSLY is not an environmental hazard of any kind but it CAN present a smell issue for neighbors or following campers. Some of it would depend on just how a particular RV is set up. My gray tank is never anything except shower and bathroom sink water which would present neither bio hazard or smell issues but if the galley was also drained into the gray tank then food particles, grease etc. would be included and it COULD be stinky. I'd follow local rules for dumping gray water regardless.
Happy camping / Skip

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:06 pm

We had always tent camped until last year we bought the TT. We camp mostly weekends. We do take four day trips at Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving( if football allows), and sometimes New Years depending on the day it falls on. We take one 10 day trip per year vacation. The teenagers are getting older and soon it will be just me, the wife and dogs. Part of me hates that and part of me cannot wait. We usuall camp in state parks, COE campgrounds and sometimes fullhookups. Of course now with gas prices you can sometimes justify the cost of full hookups. We have to slow down a bit from the last week of July to March or the weekend trips due to the High schools sports thing. We are really blessed where we live to have so many really nice campground within two hours of our home. we managed a little over 40 nights last year and are on track for 50 or so this year.
Carolina Cruiser

Unread postby JQSpree on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:09 pm

Skip, that was my thinking on grey tanks. I saw one next to us and then later driving around, saw several more with a garden hose hooked up rather that a sewer type hose. I will have to call and ask them.

John
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:56 pm

Until I can retire it's 4 or 5 day trips for us. I get 20 days of vacation and I would much rather take a bunch of shorter trips for now, who knows what will happen down the road.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby crazyaboutcampin on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:33 am

I am retired and camp a LOT during the warmer months. Mostly boondockin, close to home with maybe one or two longer trips per year with my young bride who is still unfortunate to have to work. We are fortunate to live in the middle of all kinds of camping opportunities, terrain and activities. I am gearing up this year for some winter camping/quad riding out in the desert next winter. I have stayed in full hook up campgrounds which were close to good fishing spots. These were mostly good experiences with only a couple spoiled by the usual load mouth/music drunks.
S&S on a Dodge dually 4X4
crazyaboutcampin

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:25 pm

I manage to get in about 30 nights a year, mostly State Parks. NFS sites
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby BAJA X on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:57 pm

We try to get out every other weekend, and take the granddaughter for a couple trips a summer she likes riding her Barbie atv through the campgrounds with PA-PA as you can see see never gos to far without her gold fish and juice. And times we don't go atving its nice to go for a weekend and just relax. Most of our camping is in campgrounds where we can ride our atv's right from our site.
Attachments
Twin_Lakes_and_Lily_020_Small_.jpg
2008 F-350 V-10 Crew Cab Lariat S/Duty 4X4
2008 XT30SB CrossRoads CrossForce
2004 DS650 Baja x
2004 Outlander 400XT
1989 H.D. Springer Softail
BAJA X

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:32 pm

We are primarily weekend campers as I own a business. We normally do at least 1 full week in the camper at a beach resort type campground with full hook ups. Last year we did 3 full weeks out (3 separate weeks). The kids loved that.
Other then that we camp at least 1 long weekend a month at a state park or army corps park. The kids love the state parks because they are able to play army, fish, and really get the feel of what camping is. I love just being able to share a passion of mine with my kids and hoping that they pass this down to thier children.

Joe
South Carolina
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:42 pm

I'm sure they will. We used to DRAG our kids to the campground, kicking and screaming and they'd be mad at us for making them go (for about a half hour) then they had a ball the rest of the time. They're all grown now and tell me those are some of the best childhood memories they have LOL.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:17 pm

My oldest sings songs about going camping for a week or so before we get to go. Sometimes we won't even mention that we are going until the week of. Otherwise we hear about it until we get there. It is great!

Joe
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:50 pm

ponyboy1995 wrote:My oldest sings songs about going camping for a week or so before we get to go. Sometimes we won't even mention that we are going until the week of. Otherwise we hear about it until we get there. It is great!

Joe

Looks like your driving puts them to sleep, too! :B
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby CanadianRVers on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:45 pm

We have a small regional park in the valley only 20 minutes awy & we stay there about 1 month every year. Also enjoy the country music festival in Saskatchewan every july. This year we will be about six weeks camping for Work ;) doing crop inspections though southern Saskatchewan & Alberta. As for hook ups matters not to us we have a solar panel on roof & gen if needed.

CanadianRVers
Doug & Cindy Walsh
CanadianRVers
Doug & Cindy Walsh
08Kingston33SK
04 Silverado D/A
ImageImage
CanadianRVers

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Limey,

I have been blessed with kids that love to sleep in the car. Its great on long trips!

Joe
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby campinfan on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:29 pm

We do a lot of long weekends and then a couple of week long trips. This year we have a month long trip to Alabama but it is primarily for medical reasons for my son. I like going for at least 4-5 days at a time so it doesn't seem like I am just setting up and then tearing down. This weekend is just a 2 nighter but thats ok.
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CT32SB
2008 F 250 Super Crew FX4, V10 4.10 Tow Command Package
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 311412.jpg
campinfan

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:01 pm

CanadianRVers wrote:We have a small regional park in the valley only 20 minutes awy & we stay there about 1 month every year. Also enjoy the country music festival in Saskatchewan every july. This year we will be about six weeks camping for Work ;) doing crop inspections though southern Saskatchewan & Alberta. As for hook ups matters not to us we have a solar panel on roof & gen if needed.

Hey, I grew up in Southern Manitoba and we used to do "crop inspections" too. But ours were mainly done at night as a large group, usually with beer.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:12 am

Mike in Calgary wrote:
CanadianRVers wrote:We have a small regional park in the valley only 20 minutes awy & we stay there about 1 month every year. Also enjoy the country music festival in Saskatchewan every july. This year we will be about six weeks camping for Work ;) doing crop inspections though southern Saskatchewan & Alberta. As for hook ups matters not to us we have a solar panel on roof & gen if needed.

Hey, I grew up in Southern Manitoba and we used to do "crop inspections" too. But ours were mainly done at night as a large group, usually with beer.

:mrgreen: When I was a kid we used to have a group that did a lot of country cemetery inspectors that also used the same method.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby csham on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:32 am

We are mostly weekend campers. Our weekends, when we can get out, are normally spent in PA state parks. One weekend is usually a Girl Scout weekend. The wife is co-leader and the oldest daughter is a scout. They sleep in tents, I sleep in the TT :D and take care of the campfire and the cooking.
We also use our TT as a hotel room. We have plans to go to one of the Halloween weekends at Hershey Park in October. We stay at the local campground and go to the park all day. Not really camping, but the girls enjoy sleeping in the trailer whenever they can and I like the cheaper accomodations.
Like others, we try to get out for a week at least once over the summer. Already have a trip planned to Michigan and Indiana in August this year.

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
csham

Unread postby 1tonmegacab on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:03 pm

unless i cant get a reservation which usually dont happen( i have been booked for memorial day and 4th of july for a couple months now) i usually always stay in state campsites because he in tx they are great parks and i like the have the feel of being camping i dont like the big clubhouse and pool thing at all

in the state parks here they are usually always on a lake or even the gulf of mexico( my fav park is in rockport at goose island state park) they have lost of woods/trails for riding bike/walking even horse riding trails the yhave lots of events for the kids to participate in

with the state pass you get in cheaper and everybody in your car is free you can use the pas for day use to go fishing or picnic or even hang out at the beach to go swimming and you can add a 2nd pass with all the same privileges for not to much more

here is a link to the texas parks website if any of you guys ever come to texas please consider it i have been is state parks from new york to california and back and i have never found a state yet that has parks any better( maybe as nice) texas

link to the site itself
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/

link to activities and campsite facilitys
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/parkinfo/

thought i would edit this real quick to say when i say texas has some of the best parks i am not talking just like in sights because lets face colorado/new york/vermont places like that have some amazing site as does the parks on the border of texas and new mexico

what i mean is the way they are set up and ran and kept up is just amazing
Last edited by 1tonmegacab on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1tonmegacab

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:05 pm

We've stayed at Goose Island several times and It's one of our favorites. Nice to have a choice of camping on the bay or the woods and both are nice.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby 1tonmegacab on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:10 pm

skipnchar wrote:We've stayed at Goose Island several times and It's one of our favorites. Nice to have a choice of camping on the bay or the woods and both are nice.

i always camp on the bay sites when i go because i like to fish and can leave my poles out all night plus i like the water

also tyler state park is wonderful and ray robets is really close for us as i live on lake lewsiville
1tonmegacab

Unread postby 1tonmegacab on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:15 pm

this is my next park to explore as i grew i up new york and love the leaf change

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/find ... st_maples/

1tonmegacab

Unread postby cwit on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:40 pm

WE like full hook ups and usually spend a week at a time in a campsite. We do this about 6 times durring summer and fall . Being retired during the winter months we head south from January to april. You mite say we camp yeay around when home we live on lake champlain in NY.ON the border between NY and Vermont. Life is good. :mrgreen: :lol: :D
cwit

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:16 pm

when home we live on lake champlain in NY.ON the border between NY and Vermont. Life is good.

We spent a month or so in your part of the country last fall. We enjoyed it very much and life sure SEEMED to be good there.

i live on lake lewsiville

Hummm...wasn't that where the big Rock Concert was in 68? We camped on Lake Lewisville then in a pup tent along with about 100,000 other folks (if I'm remembering right). We have also stopped at Tyler State Park on our way South for the winter in recent years, as we have a couple of friends in Tyler. They were fixing up one whole loop of the park the last time we were there but have heard they're finished now and it's really nice.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby lynlou14760 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi, all. New member here, just read about this site while visiting one of my regular forums. My wife and I are the type that like our conveniences, so we stay mostly at KOA's, and get full hookups.

Due to the high cost of diesel fuel now, we are going to be seasonal campers at Triple R campground in Franklinville, NY.
(That's about 45 miles south of Buffalo, N.Y. on NY Rt16.) It's a small, out of the way place that we've week-ended at for the past two seasons. We really like the folks we've met so far - well, all but one :evil: - and the owners are super nice folks.

We will be taking at least one trip to Williamsburg and Gettysburg next fall, then Florida next February or March, though.
The 5er's deffinatley going to Pa and Va, but we'll wait and see how the fuel prices are for Florida.
Lynn & Louie McClure
2003 Chevy Duramax Crew Cab; 2008 Sierra 335QBQ
2 Golden Retrievers (who culdn't retrieve thier own food dish!)
lynlou14760

Unread postby 1tonmegacab on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:27 pm

cwit wrote:WE like full hook ups and usually spend a week at a time in a campsite. We do this about 6 times durring summer and fall . Being retired during the winter months we head south from January to april. You mite say we camp yeay around when home we live on lake champlain in NY.ON the border between NY and Vermont. Life is good. :mrgreen: :lol: :D

i was born in malone raised in st regis falls ( not to far from lake placid/paul smiths area) in the adirondacks but i spent the last 12 years before moving to texas in plattsburgh where my mom and sister still live and my brother in champlain also my dad in harrisville which is near watertown/fort drum area

i know what its like to be off in the winter i worked construction and my dad been building roads for the state of new york for 45 years
1tonmegacab

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:09 pm

Before buying our TTin 2006 we kept aboat in a ocean marina about 60 miles away.Das bote got 1MPG & slip fees doubled in 3 years so we sold & bought the TT.The DW has a year to work so we just do weekends.We have tried the public stuff & w/11 grandkids we need piece & quite so we split our time between marinas where we launch our boat & "cruise" & a couple beach front sites [no hookups]FYI-we don't set up at the marinas,we carry our chairs down to watch the funny boaters.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby waflhtirider on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:40 pm

We are recreation campers for now. Would love the full time lifestyle but for now it just won't fit.

We are able to boondock (fully self contained w/ built in gen set) , stay at very nice parks or anything in between.

To us its about getting away, preferably with friends for a good time and wonderful sights along the way.
Ryan(W7SFO), Beth & Alyssa. Pierce County WA State
Nights Camping in 2009 24
http://www.myspace.com/waflhtirider
2008 Dodge RAM 3500 Long Box 4WD Quad Cab 6.7L CTD 6 Speed Auto
2006 Carriage Cameo LXI 35KS3 5th Wheel
waflhtirider

Unread postby catmom on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:05 pm

We're sort of all types too. Before DH retired, we were primarily weekend campers, usually in state parks in IL & WI, with one or two camping trips a year lasting a week or two. Last year we decided to start camping midweek, as the SPs are much quieter then, and it's easier to find a good site. Did that locally a few times, and then took a long trip of about 3 weeks to the northeast. All told, spent 50 nights camping last year, which was double the usual annual number previously. When we're on the road, we'll use KOAs or other private CGs, sometimes with reservations and sometimes not. At destinations, we'll often use private CGs for the full hookups if we're staying several days, but if there's a really great state park or COE CG with electric, we'll do that instead. No boondocking - between a slideout, power tongue jack, and liking to have lots of lights to read by in the evening, we need that juice! We're still pretty tied to home, despite retirement - I'm still working parttime, and we still have 2 cats at home (and can't afford the catwatcher to be here fulltime!! :o ) So - we're a work in progress, I guess.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby cwit on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:41 pm

Take your cats with you, they may not like the ride but they will like the camper. I have to cats and they are now camper cats. They don't like to ride but cats will go to sleep after awhile. Our cats love the camper. :)
cwit

Unread postby catmom on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:40 pm

Our trips being somewhat longer now, I agree with you, cwit. With our new TT we may start some training this year. Depends on how our old guy does.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:55 pm

When we are on the road we usually stay at private campgrounds. When we take our small travel trailer out we usually go to the mountains. We leave our Fifth-wheel at a lake in storage about 150mi from our home. When we go to the lake (Elephant Butte Lake) we dry camp. Here is a picture of the lake.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby va_jay55 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:29 pm

We do rallys and weekenders. As my PTO amount grows, so shall the longer weekenders. 8-)
Jay, Gay & the Kid Cyd . . Pics. . Gettysburg Rally 5/15-18/08 . . Elk Neck Rally 9/26-28/08
Ford E350 XLT SD . . Prodigy . . Equal-i-zer WDH . . 07 Rockwood Roo 233
va_jay55

Return to General RV Discussion