Skip to content

Change font size

Where do you store your RV?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Where do you store your RV?

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:42 pm

I'm not so lucky as to have a driveway or piece of property big enough to store our TT, so I have it stored a few miles from home behind a private residence that does RV storage. It works out well, but this is the first spring that I've had it there, and given how long winter is dragging on I'm not starting to get worried about being able to get it out for our intended early start to the season. It's still a big soggy mess and with a foot of snow all around it's going to take a while to melt, much less dry out.

Just wondering where everyone else keeps their RV's when not in use.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where do you store your TT?

Unread postby mikhen on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:05 pm

In our driveway. If we didn't have room, we wouldn't have an RV. We actually considered renting out more space for RV storage, but we weren't sure on the legality of it.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Re: Where do you store your TT?

Unread postby BAJA X on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:27 pm

We have to have ours at a r.v. storage place, we rent a town home so theres no room there. The good thing is where we have it they have very good security with cameras and fenced in and blacktopped so no gravel. Also its really cheap to store there and only 2 miles from our house.
2008 F-350 V-10 Crew Cab Lariat S/Duty 4X4
2008 XT30SB CrossRoads CrossForce
2004 DS650 Baja x
2004 Outlander 400XT
1989 H.D. Springer Softail
BAJA X

Re: Where do you store your RV?

Unread postby kilbrider on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:01 pm

I'm fortunate enough to have an oversized lot and access to my backyard. Storage is right where I can keep an eye on it. Only problem with that is it breaks my heart to look at it covered in snow everyday!!
Leah & Cliff ( just us)
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280WS
2015 Ford F250 XLT, 4X4
kilbrider

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:02 pm

We're lucky enough to have ours about 6 feet from our house. Easy access to electrical and sewer clean out if we need it. Security is pretty good but one of our neighbors DID have a propane bottle stolen off of his pop up a year or so ago. I suppose my "slip on covers" must have confounded them so they left mine alone. Doesn't take a lot of "genius juice" to cook meth I guess. LOL
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Benny on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:04 pm

In the summer I can keep ours in our laneway. Lots of room and had a 30 amp outlet installed in the garage (keep it plugged in all summer). Neighbours say they don't mind the sight of it.
In the winter, I keep it at a friends farm. Couldn't get it in the barn this year but hopefully next year it will be inside.
2005 Glendale Titanium 28E33B
2005 Chev Duramax 2500 CC
Benny

Unread postby Rough2000 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:31 pm

Our HOA will only let us park our at our home for a max of 72 hours at a time, so we keep our in an enclosed storage unit. It gets a little expensive but the trailer keeps clean and away from the elements. A friend of mine had his Sunnybrook Bunk House trailer stolen from an open storage lot last year. He quickly moved his boat to the same location where I have my trailer stored.
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:40 pm

Mine is at a storage facility about 4 mi from house. Its covered, paved, fenced and lighted and has 24hr access with code. Its not cheap but has worked out nicely.
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby Cobra909 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:47 pm

Luckily, our home is on two acres. The 5er is currently outside in front of my 30x50 workshop(not enough height). Plan for this year is to start on a 20x40 side addition for the 5er to sleep in. When I do this, I will also add a sewer connection so that we will have full hookup. If I ever have to leave CG without dumping, I'll be able to safely do this when I get home.
Julie & Lynn Hanks
Bailey (Cocker Spaniel)
2007 Dodge 3500 CTD QC 4x4 Laramie
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
Cobra909

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:25 pm

In the driveway. But here in LA we don't really have lots (At least not in my price range). Fortunately I have a porkchop driveway and I can park it in the middle so I can fit the van on one side and she can fit her little car on the other side. Upside is, the sewer clean-out in right at the back of the middle of the driveway.
Last edited by LA_Bolt_Fan on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:41 pm

Right in my backyard.... And as Chairman of my town's Zoning Board of Appeals, no one is going to BS me about some fabricated "regulation" forbidding it! Our town law limits someone to two trailers (boat, camper, horse, or utility) per property in a residential neighborhood, and prohibits front-yard storage of any trailer. Rear and side yards are fine, as long as you only have two.
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:50 pm

The only time I was ever able to store my TT at home was when we only had our 21', and even that was a tight fit with the bumper against the garage door and the tongue just clearing the sidewalk. I sure wish we could store our current TT at home, but that's just not the case.

Our municipality is actually starting to crackdown on at-home RV storage to the point where they're talking about introducing new bylaws this summer. The person that is currently providing my storage actually got a letter from the municipality recently more or less stating that they weren't cool with the situation, although there doesn't seem to be any bylaws behind the threat, so I think it's mostly hot air at this point.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby milzat on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:25 am

We live on a two acre lot and store the TT in our back yard under a 12' X 33' metal cover behind my workshop.
When it's stored under the RV cover, it's connected to shore power(30amp), city water, sewer, and cable tv. The fridge is always on and stocked with our favorite refreshing beverages. :D

I also have an extra FHU w/cable behind the RV cover for visitors. :)

Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby Cobra909 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:10 am

Hey Milzat, looks like we have almost the same type setup. Only the RV shed will be on the side of my shop, and uh, my shop's gable is on that end, and uh, mine is quite a bit farther from the house...OK, maybe not the same setup. LOL :lol:
Julie & Lynn Hanks
Bailey (Cocker Spaniel)
2007 Dodge 3500 CTD QC 4x4 Laramie
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
Cobra909

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:18 am

Looks great, Milzat..wish we could do the same. Unfortunately urban living doesn't afford the size of property needed for that sort of thing around here. ;)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Terry on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:51 am

Mine is in the backyard. It is a lot of fun to put there. Have to back out of the road, Back thru the front yard, between trees, the house, and flower gardens, Down the side yard, Into the back yard, backing thru a gate at an angle to get it beside the building. Have found. the bigger the TV, The harded it is to do. Couldn't do it without DW telling me what I am fixin to hit.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:33 am

I have almost 2 acres so It sits in the back yard I would like to put up a barn but that isnt in the budget for a few years.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby milzat on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:30 am

Here's a shot of the RV cover from a different angle.
This was taken before I added more metal sheeting to the side wall.

Here's a couple with sheeting added to the north side. If you look good, you can see where I extended the roof of my shop to tie into the RV cover. This gives the cover more stability and keeps the rain out of that side. Plans are to close in the rear of the cover(west side).
DSCF2464.JPG

RV Cover11.JPG

Below is the extra FHU.
FullHookUp01.JPG
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby JBandMJ on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:05 am

It took a little bit of negotiating (begging) with the finance committee (wife and banker) to get my man cave built, now I have a place to sleep when I get in trouble. :mrgreen:
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Unread postby milzat on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:03 am

Very nice man-cave. :D 8-)

Looks like that size cave will hold lots of toys. ;)
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby mountainman on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Milzat: What's that space rent for? Mighty fine looking setup!
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby milzat on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:56 pm

mountainman wrote:Milzat: What's that space rent for? Mighty fine looking setup!

If you'e ever down this way, the site is rent-free for a week. After that, I'll have to charge you for the electricity and HBO. LOL.... :mrgreen:
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby Rough2000 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:15 pm

JBandMJ wrote:It took a little bit of negotiating (begging) with the finance committee (wife and banker) to get my man cave built, now I have a place to sleep when I get in trouble. :mrgreen:

Why would you ever leave a setup like that to go in the house. Gee, tools, toys, tv, and a refridge...what more could a man ask for?? :lol:
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:37 pm

I am lucky enough to have a 5 acre lot. I have horses and they are free on about 3 acres of it. The trailer is just outsied the fenced area around the house - about 50ft from the house. Very handy! I do have a barn, but the doors are too small to get the 5er through, so I keep the boat and the hay trailer in there - along with a lot of hay!! :lol:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JBandMJ on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:43 am

Rough2000 wrote:
JBandMJ wrote:It took a little bit of negotiating (begging) with the finance committee (wife and banker) to get my man cave built, now I have a place to sleep when I get in trouble. :mrgreen:

Why would you ever leave a setup like that to go in the house. Gee, tools, toys, tv, and a refridge...what more could a man ask for?? :lol:

The answer to your question is…..Dinner :mrgreen:
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Unread postby ParTimCmpr on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:52 am

Mine has been on the driveway for the the last 9 months. I would like to build some type of cover and like the metal ones seen in some of the posts. I am trying to decide whether I will keep it on my existing driveway, or cut a new driveway on the other side of my house.

The DW has made it clear if we ever move the top requirement will be a suitable place for the trailer to live. She has no desire to park it somewhere else!

Later,
ParTimCmpr
ParTimCmpr
Fayetteville, Georgia
2006 Sunline T2553
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
ParTimCmpr

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:42 pm

I moved mine from back yard to driveway today I wanted to get it out before the mud season. :D
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby graywolf67 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:59 pm

We store ours at a RV storage place a coulpe of miles from the house, it is covered and is pull through, its also on the way home from work so I can check on it from time to time and has good security including video. I am jealous of some of the members set-ups but maybe in my future. :D
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:18 pm

graywolf67 wrote:I am jealous of some of the members set-ups but maybe in my future. :D

I'm jealous of just about ALL the setups posted here...covered bays, garages...wow.

Mine is parked in what is effectively someones back yard. A rather soft backyard right now, as mentioned. If getting it out this spring proves problematic I think I'm going to move somewhere else though..it'll surely cost more, but in the end sometimes the convenience of actually being able to get your rig in and out when you need to outweighs price.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JQSpree on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:09 pm

Wow, I am envious of all of you with land to park at home, and especially with sheds for protection. As a suburb city slicker, we don't have that luxury. Our lot is too close to have side yard parking room, which can be done in our city. My neighbor has one and I sure wish it was mine. Since it is a rental, it usually doesn't have anything parked there.

I use a large rv outside yard about 10 miles away, which has tall barbwire topped fence and at least two dogs. The mgr and family live on property so I hope its going to work out. There are a few storage yards closer but they are combined storage facilities with lots of people coming and going all the time. The inside storage here is $200 or so a month and we have no friends or family close enough with room to park for free. So we make do. Which is why I think we will buy a cover for all the benefits and problems as something to help with sun impacts.

John

(sig block with photo coming soon, I hope)
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:50 am

We wanted to keep ours at home but could not build just a shed to cover it due to covenant restrictions. We found a place about a mile from our house that is not an awful price that is covered and has electric hookups. It has worked out for now but I am hearingg rumblings of a big price increase (almost double) that could mean rethinking things.
Carolina Cruiser

Unread postby ReedMan on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:44 pm

I park mine beside my house. Last year I moved my AC unit from the side to the back of the house. I used the old 30A wire and installed a 30A RV outlet. I tried to upload a photo but can't seem to get under the 512kb restriction without distortion.

The kids have sleep overs out in the camper all summer long.

Bones
ReedMan, Wife, 3 Kids
TT - 2002 Flagstaff 25LB (Triple Bunks!)
TV - 2001 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/3.73 Stepside
ReedMan

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:47 pm

We have a 1.5 acre lot, but our subdivision does not allow RV's, boats or anything like that to be parked in driveway or yard over 48hrs. It stinks because I was so excited to be able to have a yard big enough that I can park the TT in. I guess I will make sure of that kind of thing next time.
Anyway, we store ours at an RV storage facility about 2 miles down the road from our subdivision. Once I can afford to build a garage large enough to store it in we will have it at the house.

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:06 am

Right now in a storage yard, but I hope to get some trees cleared and make a spot at home. Use to keep our old TT at home but it was a 17' and it fit in just fine. I have 3/4 acre but an 85' driveway to back down and make jog to get it into it's spot, with a 30' rig that isn't so easy! Someday....
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby explorer378 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:13 pm

We store ours at the end of the house.

2008 Skyline Mountain View 2911MV
2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z-71 4X4
Equal-i-zer

photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/expl ... blicAlbums
explorer378

Unread postby rwings12000 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:14 am

We used to store ours at a local storage place( large gravel parking lot) for $600. What a waste of money so we now "store" in a seasonal site. We still come and go as we like and it $1500 and allows us to camp every weekend. Image
2005 TF38TS Crossroads Crossterrain
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins 5.9
1994 Harley Softtail
1998 Harley Road King
And the camping Min PIN
rwings12000

Unread postby csham on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:21 am

We are forunate to be able to store ours at home in the driveway. No complaints from the neighbors or the homeowner's association in 13 years.

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
csham

Unread postby campinfan on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:08 pm

Can't store it at home but we have a pretty good solution. We store it at the dealer where we got it. It shares a property line with the Jellystone we go to in Fremont, IN. We have three young children so it is a great place to go. Now I tow it one mile, not 100 miles---saves some gas that way. Bad part...I miss my trailer
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CT32SB
2008 F 250 Super Crew FX4, V10 4.10 Tow Command Package
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 311412.jpg
campinfan

Unread postby markbet on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:17 pm

Hey milzat, where did you get the cover for your camper? I am looking for something like that to park my camper under. There seems to be a lot of different brands out there, what is the brand of cover that you have? Any info would be great.
2007 HitchHiker II LS 29.5 FKTG
2006 Dodge Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins 4X4
2006 SeaDoo GTX 215hp Jet Ski
markbet

Return to General RV Discussion