Skip to content

Change font size

How many manufacturers

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

How many manufacturers

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:28 pm

I know this will start some discussions but

How many RV manufacturers are there in buisness in US
How many have gone under?
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: How many manufacturers

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:58 pm

Hmm.. That's a tough question.

I do know that the economy has taken a toll in many of the smaller manufacturers, though. For example, I just posted a bit of history about the company that makes our trailer - Award. It's a classic case of the changing economies that eventually caused the company to pack up shop.

I don't know much about the industry in the USA (Where the majority of RV's are manufactured now I'm pretty sure) but I'm sure that there's a few of the less mainstream manufacturers that are feeling the pinch already (due to the economy) and probably will continue to feel it as fuel prices rise.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:00 am

I am sure there are many other examples, but a glaring one that comes to mind in the US that recently closed up shop is Sunline. I have never even seen one of their units in person, but everything I read on the forums suggests they made an excellent product, they just made poor management decisions. I have yet to read a negative report from a Sunline owner. It is unfortunate really because many of these mass produced trailers that are everywhere have such shoddy construction. I can look at most any Fleetwood, Skyline, Forest River, etc. trailer and find at least one thing about that trailer that I find sub par. The two trailers I have owned(Skyline and Forest River) have each had a few flaws that I had to work out. Nothing major, but I can tell that some areas could use improvement. It is a shame that a company like Sunline can't stay afloat to give buyers a better quality option, even if it costs more.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:03 am

Here's one good place to look RV Manufacturers
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:52 pm

the trailer I traded in in Feb. was an 2006 sunline very well made not the right floor plan for us If they were still in buisness we would have bought another.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Rough2000 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:44 pm

As time goes on it looks like those that don't go under will go South of the border. As that happens I would guess that quality will get worse. The small ones may even come from China. They are starting to make a few already.
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:47 am

That is a shame but we have something to do with that. Buying them or beating the dealer up on price makes it hard for them to stay in buisness. We all want a deal but want great service and great products. this goes for everything not just trailers.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:49 am

There's a lot to be said for that idea. On "that other forum" there were a number of posts by owners who had a problem with their Sunline which was actually out of warranty by a couple of years and after fussing with the company they went ahead and fixed it on the companies dime. I'm sure it MAY have made for a loyal customer out of that particular person but all the OTHER customers had to actually PAY for that kind of service. From the way things turned out though, they MAY have forgotten that part and failed to pass costs along to customers and went belly up instead. It's kind of the same situation GM, Ford and Dodge are discovering. You have to SELL your product for more than it COSTS to build it. Pretty hard to make it in any business selling at a loss no mater HOW many units you sell.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:09 pm

Here is a good place to figure this one out. http://www.rvnetlinx.com/wpmanufact.php What I have noticed is many different brands under on umbrella
Carolina Cruiser

Return to General RV Discussion