Skip to content

Change font size

Canadian RV insurance for non resident Canadians?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Canadian RV insurance for non resident Canadians?

Unread postby cometboy on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:22 am

We have recently retired and our home for the last 30 plus years has been in Australia. We would like to purchase an small RV (in Alberta because many of our relatives live there…) to drive across Canada for 3 or 4 months this summer but in checking around it seem next to impossible to get insurance for an RV if you are not a Canadian resident with a local driving history. The RV we are look at is an older Dodge Ram OKANAGAN Conversion but in excellent condition with a known history. Can anyone recommend an insurer that might entertain covering people in this situation? What do others do in such a situation?

Regards

Bruce
cometboy

Re: Canadian RV insurance for non resident Canadians?

Unread postby Little Kopit on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:43 am

The answer could well be use one of those relatives.

However, I know, pretty much from the forum at the big neighbors Israelis, retired who rv. in N. America for 6 months of the year. They do have offspring living on this continent. Still, I have an email address.

So, pm me with an email address. I shall forward that to Danny with your question. Or. if you are a member of ORF/rv.net, I will give you a member name.

The 5er usually spends the winter on private property in the place where they plan to start next year's traveling.

8-)
LK
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Canadian RV insurance for non resident Canadians?

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:26 am

I'm not certain about other provinces, but in Alberta insurance is provided by private companies and not through government insurance plans like BC, Saskatchewan or Manitoba, thus they are pretty much free to set whatever policies and charge whatever they like. People who have lived abroad or have not actually owned a vehicle for a period of months or years, even if they have held a valid drivers license, have had issues in obtaining affordable insurance. The insurance providers claim that there is no driving history available that they can use to set rates. As a result, they are considered to be new drivers, thus higher risk. I don't agree with this at all, but since I've had a driving history in Alberta for 23 years, its never been an issue for me. There might be a possibility of getting insurance in a different province, but there may be certain residential requirements. Try checking these links:
British Columbia http://www.icbc.com/
Saskatchewanhttp://www.sgi.sk.ca/
Manitobahttp://www.mpi.mb.ca/English/english.html
I've lived my entire life in Western Canada, so I can't comment on points east of Manitoba. Best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy yourself while you're here.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Return to General RV Discussion