Skip to content

Change font size

Hey Limey...caravaning?

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Hey Limey...caravaning?

Unread postby LoudRam on Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:10 pm

I was watching Top Gear on BBC America and they refereed to camping as caravaning? At first I though they were talking about something similar to camping but I was wrong. It is camping...LOL. This was the first time I heard it called that. I thought I'd share that with you. You might get a kick out of it.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy) (IC2/E-5 Military Police)
2008 Forest River Salem LE 29FLSS
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 w/360 (not stock)

LoudRam

Re: Hey Limey...caravaning?

Unread postby pwall on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:00 pm

In Europe (not sure if this means all the countries....who knows), a trailer would be called a caravan. Hence caravaning would be what we call camping.

Martyn ?
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Yes - in Britain it is called Caravaning. We have the Caravan Club, which is akin to Good Sam over here. My grandparents started caravaning back in the 1930's and I grew up caravaning with them and/or my parents from 1949 up until about 1970 - we had a 25ft Davan Caravan - built in southern England. Loved that old trailer - it even had leaded windows in the front. No toilet, shower or anything like that - just a gas cooker and a gas fire. We had gas lighting too, and a chemical toilet in a small tent!

I switched to tent canping around 1974 and bought my 1st 'Caravan' in the States - a JayFlight 28RLS - a TT to you chaps!! I now have a fifth wheel, which I much prefer to the caravans.

BTW - did anyone see the recent Top Gear on BBC America (one of my favourite programmes, by the way) when they attached a small caravan to the bottom of an airship? As the Top Gear crew think that Caravans clog the British roads up too much, they came up with this hare-brained scheme to eliminate them from the roads - it was a total disaster, but very amusing.

British caravans are much smaller and lighter than the ones you find in North America, and hence you will find that most are towed by family cars or small SUVs. This often has RVers over here up in arms about towing overweight, but they don't understand that most cars built for the European market are built differently - a lot more towing capacity and often with diesel engines.

(However, I won't go into the crazy details of how I used to tow a small trailer with a 7 berth frame tent and all the gear in it, behind a Mini, back in 1974. Not only that, we crammed 3 adults and 4 kids in it, as well as a small boat on the roof rack! Camped for several summers like that, all over England. I know better now, and I look back and marvel that we weren't all killed, and at the crazy things we do when we are younger and think ourselves to be indestrucable! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

The two pictures below were taken in 1964 in Devon, England. In the family group I am on the left. In both of them you can see some of the caravans at the site. :)
HUNTGRP1.JPG
Martyn and family - 1964, in our boat!

ME3.JPG
Martyn at campsite - 1964
Last edited by Limey on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby LoudRam on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:47 pm

That was the episode of Top Gear I saw. It was a crazy idea but funny.
Todd

LoudRam

Unread postby pwall on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:09 pm

One of the funniest towing videos i've seen......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJJkjT7VB8k
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby LoudRam on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:29 pm

That's a classic.
Todd

LoudRam

Return to General RV Discussion