Skip to content

Change font size

Importing to Ontario

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Importing to Ontario

Unread postby KenM on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:23 pm

I am about to purchase a new PUMU and import it to Ontario. The dealer says they are approved for sales to Canada and everything seems great.
Does anyone know if there are duites? (other than GST and PST)

Thank you for the help.

Ken
2005 Yukon XL
2010 PUMA 30DBSS - Quad Bunks
19xx Wife :-)
3 Kids
Bullmastiff
KenM

Re: Importing to Ontario

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:16 am

Yes, GST and maybe Pst. If you're entering CA in ON, PST for sure. If ON is now HST, then both for sure.

I imported in 2004 and came across in ON and just paid GST. My residence was NL.

If your import is on wheels, you will need to get things in place with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles: http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx. Mine was a TC, so I didn't need that.

Canadian Tire does the CSA inspection.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby KenM on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:24 am

Thanks Little Kopit,
I'll call the RIV on Monday.
I know I'll have to pay GST at the border and PST when I register (death & taxes :-))
My concern was being caught with a big "duty" invoice. I have been told there's no duty bu have to confirm.

The dealer confirmed that all trailers are ok'd for export to Canada.

Also - anyone have issues with insurance coverage to bring one back?

Thanks again.........Ken
2005 Yukon XL
3 Kids
Bullmastiff
KenM

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:36 pm

GST, etc. I forgot to say that you can get a certain allowance or 'value of goods free of GST' for the length of time you are in the States. ie. the last I knew about it was 48 hours = $50.00 up to 7 days with $750.00 GST free.

I had no duty nor do I think there is duty these days under Free Trade Act.

But watch the exchange rate. Here's Bank of Canada prime rate. http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/exchange.html Prime, the more $ you have to exchange the better the rate. Forecasts are for a rising CA$ because we have resources, natural resources, especially oil. In this case be happy if you're paying more at the pump.

I was able to get RV insurance in place for bringing the TC back. All checking I"ve done or reading indicates that there are things covered in rv insurance that are not covered if you were to get an extension on your auto policy.

Keep us posted.

:)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Little Kopit sorry to get off topic here, but your link to the Outpost, is that your business???????
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:01 pm

No, RVing Outpost is an RV supply store run by the Miks, especially Julie Mik, aka Mrs. Mik on the forums where she goes.

She has a series of articles on rving information. & she asked me to to something on RVing Canada. & yes, it needs the links all updated. I keep starting that and having stuff happen (later this winter....). Even so, I'm proud to say, commercial site host or no, I asked Admin @ rv.net if I could post it in my signature, because I think it's information. It had to go upstairs at Affinity, but it got approved.

Julie also, does Dutch Oven instruction by times. & there is a forum to go with the site.

LK

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:14 pm

it's a neat site I got reading some of the info, will finish up later.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Now, really off, off topic. You have mentioned getting a TC to extend the rving thing to the next generation. Well, Julie's oldest is 18 and just did Army Basic Training. He's taking the do army for help with paying for college direction.

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:45 am

My son is in the army cadsets now for 4 years, he is planning on going to the RMC college in Kingston so I will be off the hook for extended education costs, yeehaw. Got the truck camper last week and been outfitting it. My plan is for him to finish high school and then when he is around 18 send him west with the truck and camper for six months and see a little bit of his country. He has some extended family out that way.

I am building a little campsite at the rear of the trucking yard for the winter as we are full timers. I should get a thread going on that. Three fifth wheels and a truck camper.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:16 am

Hey, BRG, I've seen questions on other sites about winter camping in CA. & guess whom I've said does it? with url, natch.

I am building a little campsite at the rear of the trucking yard for the winter as we are full timers. I should get a thread going on that. Three fifth wheels and a truck camper.

Yes, by all means.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:26 am

I've been at it some 13 years now. Last winter and this winter, boondocking, trucking our own water, and genny's for hydro. With some prepwork one can successfully muster through the coldness. Takes me about a hour a day to make sure everything is serviced and working well.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:18 pm

Hey, you know, it might be a good idea to start a new thread a few posts back and get PWall to move them.

& can we talk terminology? One of my big, big, big pet peeves is folks who talk about urban parking as being in the boonies, like way out of town. To call setting up your rig on pavement out in the boonies is beyond inaccurate. I sure hope it can get corrected and people will quit using the term boondocking for everything not in a campground. It just ain't like being off a logging road. & believe me people have mislead me by this term.

Winter seasonal private site, maybe.

Right at this momemnt, I don't remember what you do to keep the base of your rig warm. Do you put some kind of a skirt around the rig? Canvas, plastic??

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:43 pm

I think parking in a truck yard, gravel, without hookups is boondocking lol. You still have to provide your own power and water and waste management. Boondocking in the forest just gives you a better view. lol
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:04 pm

What you are doing is urban. I have had a person I've known for a number years who says he boondocks all the time. I found out this year, he means mostly paved surface parking in urban areas.

You see I finally asked him for suggestions in an area. I need a place where my dogs can be outside, but tied to the camper. You can't do that even for 5 minutes in an urban setting.

& Boondocks is rural, I'm pretty sure it came from the Philippines during World War II. Do you remember the song "Down in the Boondocks, 1965. Here's a youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAflV-RImLE It's always been clear to me that the boy in the song lives outside municipal services, across the railroad tracks. Am I too old?

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby KenM on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:27 pm

Well I got my unit home from Iowa last Sunday. The total border time was no more than 20 minutes. :mrgreen:
Certificate of origin - bill of sale - no recall letter.
Filled out RIV paperwork and paid it on-line from home.
GST was paid at the border.
No duty!
All in all it was great. A buddy came with me and it was "Road Trip"!!

Now I can hardly wait for spring. Just looking for some storage

Ken

Little Kopit wrote:GST, etc. I forgot to say that you can get a certain allowance or 'value of goods free of GST' for the length of time you are in the States. ie. the last I knew about it was 48 hours = $50.00 up to 7 days with $750.00 GST free.

I had no duty nor do I think there is duty these days under Free Trade Act.

But watch the exchange rate. Here's Bank of Canada prime rate. http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/exchange.html Prime, the more $ you have to exchange the better the rate. Forecasts are for a rising CA$ because we have resources, natural resources, especially oil. In this case be happy if you're paying more at the pump.

I was able to get RV insurance in place for bringing the TC back. All checking I"ve done or reading indicates that there are things covered in rv insurance that are not covered if you were to get an extension on your auto policy.

Keep us posted.

2005 Yukon XL
3 Kids
Bullmastiff
KenM

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:05 am

I assumed people knew 'no duty', but you know I think a lot of people confuse GST with duty.

Re. the exchange rate, don't get your hopes as a consumer up.

1) All the manufacturers want the CA$ to stay below $0.95.

2) The Head of the Bank of Canada goes along with that and says CA won't have economic recovery unless the manufacturing sector perks up. That includes Frank Stronic's Magma Opel automotive purchase in Germany, that those cars won't be made in CA if the $ is above $0.95.

- said Director of the Bank of Canada has already taken steps to keep our $ lower.

3) Last time the $ was up and we in forums bitched and complained and reasoned, and pointed to many levels of unfairness it took over a year for the big ticket items to come down, especially those called vehicles. & that includes rvs.

But yes, you sure to get a better rate of exchange the more $ you have to exchange. Enjoy it when it happens your way. Me, when I have $ to exchange, the deal is always in favour of the way opposite to what I'm doing at the time.

;)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to General RV Discussion