Skip to content

Change font size

Your Camping lineage

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Your Camping lineage

Unread postby Zinger on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:50 pm

How did you start camping and what type of rv's have you had ?

I tented and camped in leantos as a kid in 2004 my wife and I bought a fleetwood graphite popup nice but wife wanted

bathroom and picking up after rain wasnt so fun,next year we had a 2006 sunline 2384 we really liked the travel trailer but

setup wasnt what we wanted didnt like folding down dinette to sleep ,the past two seasons we have had a 2008 Zinger

26bh and love it ,camping in my mind is some of the best time a family can spend .
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Your Camping lineage

Unread postby Limey on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:36 pm

Started camping in a TT in 1949 - the year I was born! My granparents had a Davan Caravan on a site in South Devon in England, and I spent 6 weeks every year through 1965 having the time of my life. Later, in the mid 70's I started tent camping in England. I had a 6 berth frame tent which I pulled behind my 1970 Mini 1000 with a homemade trailer. Loved that thing! Stopped camping when I moved to the States in 1988, but, on remarrying, my new wife and I found a shared love of camping so we bought a Jayflight 28RLS TT in 2004 and then traded that in for our current 5er in late 2006.

That's my story!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Well, I can't rival Limey.

Except that I lived on a farm at 2.3 years to 5.667 years. and again later. Living in the country tends to discourage going out camping at that time and encourage it in later life.

When I went off to school, I met this chap who liked exploring around the eastern seaboard PEI to Florida. We boondocked. tented and downhill skied too.

Then to McGill Outing Club in very early 70s. Tent camping At which point having joined the workforce, owning a large high stationwagon and being vertically challenged, I lived out of it on camping trips. From there I moved to using a cap on the truck. & finally in 2004 to a Truck Camper.

I am also now residing in very rural space again, but I have the TC, which means longer trips.........

8-)
Last edited by Little Kopit on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby catmom on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:28 pm

The closest my family came to camping when I was growing up was staying in housekeeping cabins at a lakeside resort, and the screenless, glassless cabins I stayed in at my summer camp (they must have sprayed for mosquitos because I don't recall them being a big problem). My husband's family tent camped and later owned an old used Shasta trailer, and they mostly boondocked in the Utah and Idaho mountains. After we married, camping sounded like fun, so we started with a rented tent from the Navy base rec office, and bought our own sleeping bags and cooler (figuring we could use those anyway). Despite dashing out from the tent to turn the steaks on our grill during a rainstorm, I found I rather liked camping, so we bought an 8x10 canvas tent. That was in 1971. Tent camped for a few years - not all that frequently - then went this route:

8-year-old small Class C (Chinook 18+) for 5 years
new Starcraft popup (pretty basic - no fridge, furnace, shower or battery, but we did add a portapotti) for 16+ years
new Starcraft HTT with slideout - 3 years
traded that 2 years ago for our current 34' TT

Needless to say, tow vehicles have been upgraded periodically too!
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby Frank Henn on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:37 am

Started camping in 1954 with my parents, dad bought a state of the art camper, an umbrella tent. this would sleep five. Later we added a dinning fly, and when little brother came along I was able to get my own room, a surplus jungle hammock. Later I joined the boy scouts, and had a lot of tent camping. In 1965 my friends and XXX sent me greetings which took two years out of my life and sent me to an exotic location. I came home and swore I would never camp out again. Boy was I wrong in 1973 the lord blessed me with a neat and understanding lady. In 1985 I decided that what the family needed was a motor home. After searching for the perfect unit I found a 1966 Mini Winnie 18 foot long no AC no power steering power by a ford 300. Trust me this was a night mare, Robin Willams had it easy . This thin broke down every 100 or so miles. Got back, and DW said she was never going in that THING again. She did not even to help clean it out after I sold it. Later our son became a Boy Scout, and you guessed it I became a scout master, oh boy sleeping on the ground, in the rain in the snow. Painful memories, but would not trade the memories for any thing. In January of 2001 the lord called DW home. There became a dark spot in my life. Dog and I bought an surplus u-haul trailer, I put a cot in it a small kitchen, and window AC, and went camping a lot. I am sure that a lot of people rolled their eyes when we pulled in to a camp site and set up. But we recovered, went back to working 6 days a week from 6:00AM till 10:00pm. Then out of nowhere the lord place another lady in my path. Four years ago I knew that retirement was around the corner. I drag DW out to look at Tear drop Trailers, with every intention of buying one. She put her little foot down and said that if we were going for a camper we needed one with a john. Bought a 24 foot Zinger for less money than the Tear drop. It was a real nice unit tho no slide. It did become cramped when we brought a long guest and it rained. But I was happy, no sleeping on ground AC heat an john in the unit(this comes in to good play as I age more during the night). We took the little Zinger in for a little PM. This was the down fall, there sitting on the Lot was a new CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL 36 feet long, not one but three slides, had its own private bunk room great kitchen, rear living room, and john that had lots of room. Oh yes it was a fifth wheel. I was scared of this seeing how everything I had ever pulled was a bumper pull. Went home, had a adult beverage or two, went back to the dealer and ended up buying this unit. Since the purchase of this unit, We have taken sever friends out with us, no crowding. A year ago the daughter presented us with a grand child looking forward to the day when she is potty trained, and we can take her with us. No regrets, is life not grand :mrgreen: :D
Last edited by Frank Henn on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:22 am

Started camping as a child with my parents who had a homemade canvas roof tent-trailer, almost exclusively at Thirteenth Lake, in the Adirondack Park. Got away from camping after I got married, but started again in 1986, after my sons were born. We borrowed my parents PUP the first two years, then purchased a used Palomino PUP in 1988 or '89. New Jayco PUP in 1998, traded in for a Jayco hybrid in 2007, traded in for the current Rockwood TT in early 2008.
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby mikhen on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:45 pm

My wife camped with her family when she was a kid. My parents had a small summer bungalow with no water, so it was kind of like camping. My now wife and I always wanted to get a camper, but where we used to live we would have had to store it elsewhere. We didn't want to do that. When we moved, the interest turned to remodeling our house and faded from getting a camper. 1 year I took her to Twin Grove Campground for supper at their restaurant. We took a drive through the campground, and less than 1 month later, we got our 1st TT. It was in rough shape so I gutted it and fixed it up. A year later, we traded that in on a 2006 leftover Terry TT. Used that for 2 years, and decided it was time for a motor home. Now we have a class C. We have a 6 year old daughter who loves camping. And, as a aside note, although my now wife and I have been together for over 10 years, we just got married last September at...Twin Grove Campground. The place that started our RVing life together.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby Limey on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:10 pm

mikhen wrote: And, as a aside note, although my now wife and I have been together for over 10 years, we just got married last September at...Twin Grove Campground. The place that started our RVing life together.

Cool - I like the 'getting married in unusual places' thing. My wife and I were married in the Stanley Hotel at Estes Park, Colorado. It was where Steven King stayed and got the inspiration for The Shining. In fact the TV remake was filmed at the Stanley just before we stayed there. We stayed the night in the Stephen King Suite :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:30 pm

tanks for shring some pretty neat stories!!
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:25 pm

My dad bought a brand new Coachmen 18 foot travel trailer in around 1970, that was my first look into the rv lifestyle. was pretty good too, he sent me and my two brothers and mom up to a seasonal campsite for the summer while he stayed home and worked. He would come up on the weekends, and I remember this well, as my mom would say, wait till your dad comes here this weekend. lol.

I got away from camping from my early teens to about 35 or so. One day it popped into my head, why not live in a rv. It was the best single thing I have done so far. Worked my way up to a luxury fifth wheel and have no plans to ever go into a stick house.

So for me its not really camping but a full time way of life. Some people can do it and some can't, but for me it works.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:08 pm

Big Rig Guy wrote:My dad bought a brand new Coachmen 18 foot travel trailer in around 1970, that was my first look into the rv lifestyle. was pretty good too, he sent me and my two brothers and mom up to a seasonal campsite for the summer while he stayed home and worked. He would come up on the weekends, and I remember this well, as my mom would say, wait till your dad comes here this weekend. lol.

I got away from camping from my early teens to about 35 or so. One day it popped into my head, why not live in a rv. It was the best single thing I have done so far. Worked my way up to a luxury fifth wheel and have no plans to ever go into a stick house.

So for me its not really camping but a full time way of life. Some people can do it and some can't, but for me it works.

sounds like an interesting lifestyle.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:39 pm

I started out as most of you as well sleeping in a tent. Then, Dad bought an old slide in truck camper that we slept in. He carried that old camper on a 66 Chevy c10 with a 6 cylinder and 3 on the tree. He would be vilified for attempting such today with the weight police folks and their overzealous enforcement of the GVWR, but we made many happy memories and never had a mishap in thousands of miles. Later, Dad bought our very first TT, a used 1977 Prowler. We had lots of fun in that TT during my teenage years! After I moved out, Mom and Dad have since owned a late 80s Terry TT, a 2002 Wildcat 5er, and now a 2008 Pilgrim TT.

So, I moved out and got married. My DW had not been camping very much as a child, but she quickly began to love it as much as I do. We started out with a tent, and after a couple years bought our own first RV. It was a 1987 Coleman popup. I added a window unit A/C to it, and we sold it for more than we paid for it after using it for 2 years. Next, we bought our first new RV a 99 Skyline Nomad. We loved it and had it for 5 years. A second child and a change in finances forced us to sell our Nomad, and we bought a used 2000 Palamino popup. We used that popup twice, and the DW told me she didn't want to go camping anymore if we didn't get another TT. I was fine with the popup, as I didn't care as long as the bed was comfy. I tried to remind her how much we loved tent camping when we first got married, but she was having none of it! So, we we sold the Palamino, again for more than we paid for it, and bought our current 2005 Surveyor. We will have this one for awhile! :lol:
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby pwall on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:43 am

My family started camping when I was a little kid (around 5years old). so guess I've only been RV'ing it for 35years, not as much as some around here. Spent most summers in the parks around Newfoundland, Codroy Valley being my favorite.
Now I spend as many weekends as possible in the provincial parks in Ontario, and often take road trips back home (every 2nd year or so).
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:41 am

Fastforward 10 years I would love a 5er or class A time will tell
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:30 am

We looked at 5'ers when we started looking to upgrade from the hybrid. Trouble was (still is) that we still carry a 14' and a 12' kayak, and I didn't want one of those funky overhung racks from the truck rooh to the front bumper. The other problem is that wife's got a bad knee, and the extra stems in, plus the extra steps up to the bedroom and bath weren't appealing.

Still, I compare my 2607 with the modified pick-up bet trailer with canvas top that my mother and father were using when we started camping, and it's a huge difference.... not even really comparable.
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Little Kopit wrote:Well, I can't rival Limey.

Who can? :shock:

I started out tent camping as a kid with the family (late 50's) Big Bear Lake, fishing and such. Didn't do much after that, though my wife & I talked about it a lot it took years before we actually did something. Our first TT was 17' hybrid. We quickly outgrew that and ended up getting the Tango a year and a half ago and have been loving it ever since. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby Limey on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:56 pm

The Wood Tinker wrote:
Little Kopit wrote:Well, I can't rival Limey.

Who can? :shock:

LOL!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General RV Discussion