Skip to content

Change font size

So

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

So

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:14 pm

I am off work for the next month as I am moving my shop. I decided to put all my equipment and tools in a 53 foot trailer and put it into storage, restart the business Sept 1. There is not alot going on anyhow, with the recession we are down a minimum of 50 % and I have laid off two guys earlier this year. It's just myself and my main guy, he is off for the month and I am paying him half wages. He needs some time off too.

So this is the first week that I have been off and the surprising thing to me, is how much beer I can drink just sitting on my deck with the laptop and surfing the net. Okay I am also doing a little bit of paperwork too.

I have been looking at a shop in Kapuskasing Ontario, which is about a 12 hour drive north from here. Pretty much the most northern part of Ontario, which is where I want to partially retire some day. I am waiting on a email from the owner of this shop as I want to buy it. We are just about there on the money involved. Yesterday I got the trailer all ready for a trip up there to spend a couple of days surveying the area, talking with people and generally making sure that the shop is suitable for what I plan to do with it.

The shop that I have in Milton where I am now, is on hold and they are waiting for me to sign the lease papers.

Here is a pic of the shop up north, wide angle to get a idea of the property involved.

The prospective shop up north sits on 4 acres of land, and I can move my fifth wheel there and live in it. It also sits in the middle of likely the best fishing in north america. Tons of lakes and is generally referred to as God's Country. Very nice.

Wee bit chilly in the winter, but the shop is large enough where I can move the fiver inside and out of the wind.

The spring and summer I would build me my own campsite, install a deck and maybe a enclosed room on the deck. if I tire of that, there is many campgrounds I could seasonal camp at.

The shop/property sits just outside of town maybe a kilo or two. On a major highway. Heavy truck route and the town also has a Flying J Truckstop. I work on trucks and do a lot of welding. Northern Ontario is famous for deer and moose hits, I would repair these types of damages and maybe get into boat repairs ie fibreglass, maybe even Rv's. Not looking to make any real money, but my overhead is almost nothing and the wife could also get a job in town likely minimum wage. I don't have alot of money behind me, but what I do have is no debt and all my crap is paid for. I can open a fully equipped shop and living arrangements are nothing as we have a big fiver. Been rv living for over 12 years now.
Attachments
garage 006.jpg
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: So

Unread postby Little Kopit on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Have you wintered where you can get temperatures down in the -40'C overnight and staying @ -20'C daytime.

I lived in, worked out of Sudbury in the 70s. Before I left, I'd bought my first place, which had a trailer. My last winter 77-78, it went down to -20 on Nov. 5 and stayed there, except for about 5 daytimes until I left on Feb. 26. Certainly, it was an exceptional winter. I heated by oil. The times when I had furnace problems were the times right after a fill up. Fortunately, I had a service contract. Of course, those nights when I had problems were the cold ones. Starting the truck even plugged in when it's -40, well you knew it.

Like I say, have you wintered up there? Dry cold or no, and nice cold for being out and doing, it's still something to be ready for. Plan on frost going down 6' for your plumbing, etc. Have you?

:)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:39 pm

I know what your thinking with the cold weather, I lived in Winnipeg for many years and figuring the weather will be as extreme, but, the trailer would be inside the shop for the colds months anyhow.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby cwit on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:35 pm

If this is your dream go for it ,to many people miss their dreams and regrett it for the rest of their lives.
cwit

Unread postby Zinger on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:02 pm

its best to live life without regret best of luck to you.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Work to live not live to work. Best of luck Big Rig 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Return to General RV Discussion