Skip to content

Change font size

Cleaning the awning

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Cleaning the awning

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:54 pm

I took my pressure washer to the awning today and while it did a pretty decent job of removing 3 years worth of gunk and grime, Ive got a lot of small spots still on it. I'm assuming this to be dried tree sap that the pressure washer cannot get off. Does anyone know of an enviro friendly product that will get these spots off? I need enviro friendly because I'm washing in the driveway and whatever I use will end up in the storm sewers that flow directly to the river without getting treated. Thanks.

Mike
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Cleaning the awning

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Mean Green available at Walmart is about the best all around the trlr cleaner that I have ever used. 5 bucks a bottle. Now I don't think it is enviro friendly, but you don't use alot if that helps. We go through a bottle a week, works real well in the shower, especially after I have been welding on trucks all day, you can imagine the dirt and grime.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:24 am

I use the two-beer method:

1) Open awning.
2) Spray both sides with lots of 409 or Tilex
3) Roll-up saturated awning.
4) Drink first beer.
5) After beer is finsihed (about 15-20 minutes), unroll awning.
6) Rinse with water.
7) Admire work.
8) Drink second beer.

Actuallyy, a bit of elbow grease and a scrub brush on a pole may help get the REALLY dirty spots off....

Next time, I'll have to try to mix the pressure washer into the method..... Hmmm... would that require a third beer?
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Terry on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Fire Instructor wrote:I use the two-beer method:

1) Open awning.
2) Spray both sides with lots of 409 or Tilex
3) Roll-up saturated awning.
4) Drink first beer.
5) After beer is finsihed (about 15-20 minutes), unroll awning.
6) Rinse with water.
7) Admire work.
8) Drink second beer.

Actuallyy, a bit of elbow grease and a scrub brush on a pole may help get the REALLY dirty spots off....

Next time, I'll have to try to mix the pressure washer into the method..... Hmmm... would that require a third beer?

Except for the beer. That is how i do it. However If it need scrubbing on the top. I roll it our, and take it loose from the trailer at the feet mount. Let those slide under the trailer, and the awning hangs straight down, against the trailer side. Makes it easy to scrub that way.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:36 pm

mix a little lemon dish detergent a little bleach and a little water brush on the awning roll up wait 15 min roll out and rinse if very dirty do again the bleach kills whatever is growing on the awning.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:24 pm

Fire Instructor wrote: Hmmm... would that require a third beer?

Maybe I'll just try the 6 beer method. Then I won't really care how dirty the awning is. :D

But in all seriousness, while all of the above ideas will likely work fairly well for normal every day gunk, which I managed to get off, its these stupid little brown spots that I can't seem to get off. I'm sure they're dried tree sap and they seem to bled right through the fabric. Is Simple Green an enviro friendly product? Will it actually work on these spots? I don't want to be washing any harsh chemicals down the storm drains. The authorities take a really dim view of that around here.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Return to General RV Discussion