Skip to content

Change font size

Lost a tire

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Lost a tire

Unread postby Limey on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:24 pm

Well it had to happen eventually.

Coming back from Pueblo the other weekend I happened to look in the mirror as I was leaving I-25 and merging onto I-225 in Denver. I saw pieces of tire flying everywhere.

I pulled over and stopped in a small triangular section between the two freeways with traffic whizzing past on each side of me. My 3 dogs went nuts and I was nervous to say the least. Walking back to see what the 5er damage was I found that all four 5er tires were fine. However I was towing the boat behind the trailer and found that one boat trailer tire was gone completely and it was running solely on the rim. No loss of control, no damage to the boat, so I count myself lucky. I then suffered a frustrating 30 mins while I looked for the key to the lock holding the spare on! Drove home carefully the rest of the way with no incident. Suffice to say that the boat trailer tires are Carlisles. I am going to change them out to Goodyears - stopping by Sam's on the way home tonight!

I have Canadian made Marathons on the 5er and they are just fine. After reading all the threads on here and the other place about tire failures I was particulary paying attention to tires that weekend, as it was the first trip of the season. Not an hour before the failure I had checked all tires (truck, 5er and boat) for pressure and any issues with tire integrity and found nothing wrong - just goes to show, it can happen no matter how much you check 'em!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lost a tire

Unread postby Ozimo on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:43 pm

Yeah, I hate when that happens. We pulled horse trailers to the trailhead for the holiday, leaving them for a week. Come back to find the trailers ransacked, feed and the tires stolen. We reported it to the Forest Service, but they won't do anything about it. Next time, we're gonna leave the trailers on the Rez, cuz the tribals will look after them.
Capt. Abraham Quasuittuq
FV Ozimo III- Amsterdam
MV Aleutian Princess - Galapagos
Ozimo

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:53 am

I can't tell from your profile pic what size tires on the boat, but what I did with my boat tires was upgrade to 15 tires, as I had those little boat tires and was peeling the tread off them quickly. It raised the boat higher in the air, meaning I have to go further into the lake when launching the boat but the boat really tows nice now.

I won't mention how I almost lost my truck last year getting the boat out of the water lol. Another foot, and my truck would have floated away.

Good that you kept it all under control, I dread the day when I eventually have a tire failure as it seems to be the norm, sooner or later. I run Goodyears Lt 235/16 on my fiver, they seem to be doing the job so far.

Actually I just remembered, years ago with my first boat, I lost a tire, it took out the fender and light assembly, it was on the highway and I pulled over, right beside the cop house. Came back with a new tire, and my prop, life jackets, rods and gear were stolen, they even had the seats out and in the ditch. Fuel tanks too. I was so pissed, I sold the boat that week to a buddy at work.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:16 pm

Trailer wheels are 13". Cant fit bigger ones as there is not enough space. I actually ordered the replacement tires from Discount Tire on Saturday as Sam's couldn't get the size I need. I ordered Maxxis, instead of the Marathons, for several reasons. Firstly, I like Maxxis - had them on my TT and never had a problem. Secondly, most folks seem to agree that they are a good tire. Thirdly, because they are 6 ply instead of 2 ply like most of the others. Last, but not least, because they are radials.

Discount Tire just called me to say that the tires and replacement wheel are already at the store, so looks like I'll be towing the boat over there after work tomorrow. Good job, as I am off to the the lake next weekend!

Sorry to hear of the theft when you lost you tire - bummer. At least I had a spare and was able to change it right there and then. My problem was that I put my back out doing it, and have been seeing the chiropractor twice a week since! :cry:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Festus2 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:57 pm

Limey:
Nothing to do with tires - lost or otherwise - but with pulling a boat trailer behind a 5th wheel. Every time I look at the picture of your rig ------ truck, 5th wheel, and boat ------ I am amazed that having this triple combination is legal - anywhere. I know it is allowed in some states and in some provinces but with restrictions.
I have pulled tent trailers, trailers, boat trailers, and 5th wheels but never more than one at a time! The very thought of doing that is scary. How do you manage to maneuver both the 5th wheel AND the boat trailer in tight situations? I know you are going to tell me that it is actually easier than having just one unit behind the truck. I guess if you are allowed to pull two units in your state and go out-of-state, you have to leave something behind...... your boat I would think.
Do you need a special license to have tandem units?
I am sure you are a very competent driver and can handle both the 5th wheel and the boat at the same time with no difficulty ---- I'd love to see you back all of them into my driveway. :o But, being a Brit, no task is too big. Cheers...
Richard
Richard
2008 278 RKS Cougar 5th
2005 Chev 2500 Duramax
Festus2

Unread postby Limey on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Perfectly legal in nearly half the states in the nation. We see a dozen or so just like mine on the freeway every weekend. My neighbor does it too - be has a 25ft pontoon boat behind his, although I keep telling him he has to be at 73ft! The main thing which changes is the overall length you are allowed. My rig is 65ft 6in nose to tail. Colorado is 70ft max. Most of the surrounding states are 65ft, so no real problem there - I can always take the prop off the boat! Some states have different restrictions on what the 2nd trailer can be - mostly that it has to be a boat/PWC. Second trailer also has to comply with trailer laws for the appropriate state - ie Colorado requires brakes on trailer over 3000 lbs - mine is under that. As all states surrounding Colorado allow double towing I never have a problem going into them. If my trip were to be through somewhere where they are not enlightened, and don't allow double towing, I simply don't take the boat. :mrgreen:

I can back up about 30 ft with no issue if I am starting in a straight line ( ;) ) and going forwards the boat wheels track within an inch or so of the 5er wheels, so you don't have to take too much extra care when turning a corner. You do have to pick your fuels stops carefully, but I have never had an issue.

I carefully spec'd my 5er before I bought it so that GCWR for the setup, even if the 5er is fully loaded, will not be over the truck GCVWR. Additionally as it is a lighter 5er - 8665 GVWR - my combined tow weights are under the truck's pull limit of 13050lbs - It would be 11730 if I have both trailers maxed. I created a huge Excel spreadsheet prior to buying my 5er, in which I plugged in weights for about 15 different trailers. We even plugged in the weights of the dogs, firewood, DW etc when calculating the overall numbers.

I just looked at my spreadsheet, so I can explain: If I tow fully loaded 5er, with boat fueled up, the DW, dogs, firewood hitch etc etc I am under GCVWR by 1320 lbs. I calculated an available amount for max pin weight to be 1360, and my weighed max pin weight has always been around 1300 - lightweight 5er with 1050 dry pin helps a lot here! - so being slightly under all my numbers while everything is maxed is good. Now normally I do not have a lot of stuff in the trailer so am well under max every time I check - plus I never fuel the boat up until I get where I am going.

Oh - and to stiffen the rig up, which also helps when doing short backups, I put a Reese Friction anti-sway on the boat trailer.

When I had the tire failure on the boat the other weekend I had two Colorado State Patrol vehicles stop and check me to see if I needed help - both officers commented on how good my setup was and especially on the quality of the hitch I have on the back of the 5er. I had it designed and fabricated by a local welding/fabricating shop - It is certainly overkill, but I wanted to make sure it will stay there! Plus it has outlasted Lippert's frame warranty, so they can void it all they want!! :mrgreen:

On licensing - no I do not need one in Colorado or any of the surrounding states. I know that you need an endorsement in California, and probably some other places including Canada, but I'd never double tow outside my surrounding states so it is a non-issue.

Incidentally, every day, going home, we see a dozen or so UPS, FedEX and other haulers driving semis with THREE semi trailers behind. No problem there, so my little 5er and 17ft boat are pretty insignificant in the scope of things :)

I've now towed this setup several thousand miles through most of Colorado, including through the mountains many times. Wolf Creek Pass was a breeze - went up westbound in Tow/Haul with cruise on and actually had to brake near the summit as the speed limit went down going into the tunnels :) Going down the west side was a trip (very steep and winding), but the whole rig performed just great.

Cheers!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby mtlogger44 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:42 pm

Limey wrote: Incidentally, every day, going home, we see a dozen or so UPS, FedEX and other haulers driving semis with THREE semi trailers behind. Cheers!

I used to pull triples, but one icy night on Lookout Pass.......
Matt J: '93 Mack 30 yd Belly Dumper (685 k/mi)
GT rig: '03 Uni 1750L (89k/km) Michellin 335/80R20's
Alfred: '99 Dodge V10 (124k/mi) w/26ft Jamco;
Bert: '08 Dakota 4.7 (27,875 mi) w/19ft Airstream, Space 10 tent,
mtlogger44

Unread postby Limey on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:38 pm

mtlogger44 wrote:
Limey wrote: Incidentally, every day, going home, we see a dozen or so UPS, FedEX and other haulers driving semis with THREE semi trailers behind. Cheers!

Bummer. But of course you won't catch me taking the boat anywhere if the temp is below 65! :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby mtlogger44 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:28 am

Limey wrote:
mtlogger44 wrote:

Bummer. But of course you won't catch me taking the boat anywhere if the temp is below 65! :mrgreen:

I can't remember the last time it was above 65!
Matt J: '93 Mack 30 yd Belly Dumper (685 k/mi)
GT rig: '03 Uni 1750L (89k/km) Michellin 335/80R20's
Alfred: '99 Dodge V10 (124k/mi) w/26ft Jamco;
Bert: '08 Dakota 4.7 (27,875 mi) w/19ft Airstream, Space 10 tent,
mtlogger44

Return to General RV Discussion