Skip to content

Change font size

Good time to buy old diesel?

Tow vehicles - discuss, debate, and assistance.

Good time to buy old diesel?

Unread postby ramblemutt on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:30 pm

Just wondering if this would be a good time to ferret out and buy an older diesel...more specifically a 2000 to 2004 Excursion 7.3. It would be newer than my current and have much better pull. No need to discuss cost of gas vs. diesel as that will not be a factor in my decision. I just want more pulling power. No matter which way I go from my property, I've got 6-10% grades to deal with. The highway to my closest and nicest short term camping area is an 8% 15 mile pull from both sides. I'm down to about 30 mph in my Burb when I get over the top. I want the SUV for the dogs..pickup won't work. Well, maybe...guess I could get a pu w/cab, but I like the rear climate control for the dogs. Any opinion about what I should be looking for? I can't afford anything very new and not sure how I would get rid of the Burb for that matter. The Burb has over 130K and hasn't given me any major problems (recently anyway). It goes everywhere, just lacks in power. My TT only dresses out at about 7300 wet so it's not that heavy. Just looking for some ideas to toss around. Oh, should mention that I use my TV for towing only, about 8-10K miles/year, not full time...2-3 week trips in fall, winter, and spring. No summer tra vel. My dailys are 30 mpg cars.
One wife, 3.1 dogs and no money....life is good
'01 Excursion Ltd, 7.3L PSD, '06 Prowler 260RLS

ramblemutt

Re: Good time to buy old diesel?

Unread postby mike9121 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:28 pm

I have to say that the 7.3 was a fine engine. I have no idea how well is does in an Excursion as mine was in a 3/4 ton pickup. I could kick myself for trading it in. It seems to have more power than the 6.0 and the engine was just getting broken in at 72k. Anyway.... my stupidity :oops: I think it could be a "ripe" time to buy a used diesel. Don't know how it is in your area but in central Texas folks are really downsizing and there are lots of bigger trucks and SUVs on the preowned market.
2007 F250 Lariat 4WD PSD 6.0 W/ Timbrens /Rancho RS9000
2007 Lance 815 Added DVD/Stereo, 24" WS HD Flat panel, HD DTV, 500W Inverter, Fantastic Fan, Short bed kit, Jack Plates and Atwood Jacks
mike9121

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:53 pm

IN my opinion, as long as you can afford to feed it, ANY time is a good time to buy a 7.3. I'd think you could get some pretty good deals on one right now because there are a LOT of folks out there who CAN'T feed theirs any more.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby ramblemutt on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:18 pm

Done deal. I found a 2001 Excursion Limited way over in Colorado, drove over this weekend and drove it home today. 7.3L PSD with 32K miles on it..I know, I know...where has it been? It's pretty cherry in any case.

I'm putting it in the hands of my "D" expert mechanic so he can add whatever he thinks needs added for a good tow vehicle.

Drove it 300 miles today and I may have to check the accuracy of the fuel gauge....it still has 3/4 of a tank! And it crawled over the 9500' pass that goes to my place like it wasn't even there.

I'm looking forward to this dude when I start my travels after Labor Day.

ramblemutt

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:51 pm

ramblemutt wrote:Drove it 300 miles today and I may have to check the accuracy of the fuel gauge....it still has 3/4 of a tank! And it crawled over the 9500' pass that goes to my place like it wasn't even there.

The guage in my 1 Ton is odd as well, but yeah, I think if it's still reading 3/4 after 300 miles something is awry. :-)

What is the rear end ratio? If it's really tall it might indeed be getting great milage (although not as great as the guage might suggest) but could be problematic towing. We went over a few 9000+ foot passes on the way back from our trip out west and I was sure glad to have the 4.10's in the rear end.

Congrats on the new truck!
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:21 pm

300 miles and you've still got 3/4 left? sure you remembered to take the filler hose out of the tank last time you filled up? You may still be attached to the pump :mrgreen:
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby ramblemutt on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:23 pm

Quick update here. Still haven't checked mpg on the Ex. After that first 300 miles, it went into the shop for upgrades (Edge Juice with Attitude, intake, exhaust, rear diff. cover, tranny temp gauge) and I still haven't got it out......last week was holiday week in Utah.

When it gets out, RAS (Roadmaster Active Suspension) system will go on, new tires, key programming, etc. Probably another week. I may get to drive it pretty soon. Still has that first tank of fuel...don't know how much the mechanics are burning off.

No major trips planned until September, so have some time to do a bunch of tweaking.

Will keep all posted.

ramblemutt

Return to Tow Vehicles