Skip to content

Change font size

Run your vehicle on water??

Tow vehicles - discuss, debate, and assistance.

Run your vehicle on water??

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:23 am

I was looking at some websites to see what gas is gonna be doing in the near future and found a site that explained the benifits of running your vehicle on water. They naturally want to sell you a manual on how to build a hydrogen converter for your car. It turns water into hydrogen to burn with regualr gas. It supposidly burns 50/50. I have attached the link to the site. Tell me what you guys think. It makes sense. The only questions I have would be... would there be a loss in power? Would it hurt the motor? How much will I really save? This could save me a lot of money since I drive my truck for work everyday. We could all save money on towing our campers.
Thanks for the responses!
http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/?hop=tridge

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Re: Run your vehicle on water??

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:36 am

There are probably 50 different people selling those things. There are a lot of snakes that are getting pretty low on oil. One of them was tested on Myth Busters and found to be worthless. Here's some reading if you have absolutely NOTHING else to do :D
http://www.RunYourCarWithWater.com
http://www.WaterFuelKits.info
http://www.SuperFuelEngine.vip-offers.info
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8stApCmxYEM
http://www.spiritofmaat.com/archive/feb2/carplans.htm
http://www.water4gas.com/
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1037523/run_your_car_on_water/
http://www.zedomax.com/blog/2007/03/02/diy-how-to-run-your-car-from-water/

If you run low I can post about 50 more.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:28 am

A guy that goes to our church, made a hydrogen convertor and installed it on his pickup. He says that his MPH improved by five after he hooked it up. Now I have not seen that with my own eyes but that is what he is telling. I do believe that hydrogen is really the way that we should really be headed. the problem is big oil is doing everything possible to keep it from happening.
Carolina Cruiser

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:02 pm

Carolina Cruiser wrote: the problem is big oil is doing everything possible to keep it from happening.

You can't be serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:04 pm

I tried running my car on water, but the water kept coming in the windows. :mrgreen:

I watched the Mythbusters episode on this, and in several cases the MPG was worse! :roll:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby va_jay55 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:15 pm

It seems to me that the equipment to run the process has to be built "just so", or, there is no benefit to it. I have seen a few who have made it work, but, only gained a minimal MPG increase. The horsepower dropped a few numbers as well. Thankfully, they got the plans for free and the parts didn't cost much. I'm sure, over time, someone will perfect the equipment to the point to make it worthwhile as a supplement to gasoline use. Until then, the peeps selling you the "manual" or "plans" and /or the parts, are probably getting over on you big time. Just for jollies, I have been thinking about trying it on an older vehicle I have laying around. If I ever get around to it, I'll let you know the build and the outcome of it.

Now, if only I could think of the "Just so" part.

Oh... and... conspiracy theories abound over the probability the Big Oil COs are quashing research in this area. Truthfully, they could probably give a rat's patutti about it. Until somebody does perfect it, it ain't gonna even be on their radar for quite a while. Why waste those billions in profits.

Although, somebody did murder Stan Meyer. I saw it on YouTube. :ugeek:
Jay, Gay & the Kid Cyd . . Pics. . Gettysburg Rally 5/15-18/08 . . Elk Neck Rally 9/26-28/08
Ford E350 XLT SD . . Prodigy . . Equal-i-zer WDH . . 07 Rockwood Roo 233
va_jay55

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Seems to me that whole idea is a little bit misplaced since they already have a very reliable method of supplementing gasoline where HP is only minimally effected and the technology is already pretty well underway and it uses existing infrastructure. The only BIG problem with Ethanol is the product they're currently using to produce the fuel. Spend a little time and money perfecting extraction from switchgrass and you've already go a VERY viable fuel additive that can reduce oil dependence but ONLY as a temporary measure. It should tide us over until a REAL breakthrough is perfected with harnessing the only TRULY limitless and non polluting energy source, the sun.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:58 pm

I'm sure "Big Oil" is doing their own research on hydrogen....and when they get it it'll be "Big Hydrogen" we have to complain about.
Personally, they make tons of profit, I wish I made that kind of profit and if I did I wouldn't want to give it up either.
"Big Oil" - "Big Hydrogen" it's going to always be "Big" something....deal with it.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:04 pm

There are commercial trucks that use hydrogen injection systems to run cleaner and increase MPG a little, but it's far from the panacea that these "run your car on water!" companies would like you to believe.

For the record, I know of at least one major fleet that was testing the hydrogen injection systems and is now no longer using the systems at all, so keep that into consideration.

These companies that are offering these hydrogen systems for cars are 99% crap. The 1% that is legit consist of systems that create their own hydrogen via electrolysis, and even then the amount of hydrogen injected as only a few percent of the overall fuel use, not anywhere near 50%. It must only be injected after the vehicle is up to cruising speed, and typically needs to be controlled manually by the operator.

However, remember that electrolysis needs electricity. On a car, this electricity (and considerable amounts of it) comes from the alternator. The load on the alternator to feed the electrolysis equipment can be enough to load the alternator fairly heavilly, in turn reducing MPG. The hydrogen injected back into the engine counteracts some of this, but there's no such thing as a free lunch, so you see where this is going.

On the class 8 equipment the alternator load was much less of an effect with the MPG so it worked better, but don't hold your breath on these sorts of systems for passenger vehicles.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:13 pm

The Wood Tinker wrote:I'm sure "Big Oil" is doing their own research on hydrogen....and when they get it it'll be "Big Hydrogen" we have to complain about.
Personally, they make tons of profit, I wish I made that kind of profit and if I did I wouldn't want to give it up either.
"Big Oil" - "Big Hydrogen" it's going to always be "Big" something....deal with it.

Hydrogen is a great fuel, but at this point it takes more energy to create it then it puts out, so it's a "lossy" fuel at this point.

Yes, if the energy comes from solar panels or wind generators then it makes sense, but there's nowhere near enough of this sort of generation capacity to realistically anywhere near enough hydrogen to fuel even a small portion of north america at this point.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ReedMan on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:24 pm

Great topic! I am a Technology Teacher and am currently developing a "Charged Water System" with the help of another teacher. We are going to use the HHO (Brown's Gas) method along with varying the voltage of the MAP sensor back to the car's computer.

Brown's Gas (HHO) is not pure hydrogen so it is not as volatile and the charged water system creates very little of it (only as needed). There will be no storage of this gas as it is used up as it is created. Our Chemistry Department has looked at our methodology and tell us that the theory is sound and that Brown's Gas is very safe to work with.

The first test will be on a '96 Camry (OBD II). If we can verify that this system actually works, we will be trying it out on a 2001 VW Diesel down the road. If all goes well on the first two cars, we will then attempt it on one of our V8 trucks.

I am doing the electronics portion and my collegue is doing the fabrication work. Stay tuned, I'll report back with the results. As far as harming the engine, the only thing that we will be doing is leaning out the mixture so the engine may run hotter. We are anticipating this and are going to be watching our temps closely.
ReedMan, Wife, 3 Kids
TT - 2002 Flagstaff 25LB (Triple Bunks!)
TV - 2001 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/3.73 Stepside
ReedMan

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:02 pm

Interesting...do report back.

planning on any video? That'd be interesting to see as well if it was on YouTube!
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:28 pm

LIke PP said, very interesting!

I, too, would love to know how it progresses.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Tue May 06, 2008 11:38 pm

Yes, please report back. I am interrested to find out how it turns out!

Joe

ReedMan wrote:Great topic! I am a Technology Teacher and am currently developing a "Charged Water System" with the help of another teacher. We are going to use the HHO (Brown's Gas) method along with varying the voltage of the MAP sensor back to the car's computer.

Brown's Gas (HHO) is not pure hydrogen so it is not as volatile and the charged water system creates very little of it (only as needed). There will be no storage of this gas as it is used up as it is created. Our Chemistry Department has looked at our methodology and tell us that the theory is sound and that Brown's Gas is very safe to work with.

The first test will be on a '96 Camry (OBD II). If we can verify that this system actually works, we will be trying it out on a 2001 VW Diesel down the road. If all goes well on the first two cars, we will then attempt it on one of our V8 trucks.

I am doing the electronics portion and my collegue is doing the fabrication work. Stay tuned, I'll report back with the results. As far as harming the engine, the only thing that we will be doing is leaning out the mixture so the engine may run hotter. We are anticipating this and are going to be watching our temps closely.
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby hilldude on Mon May 12, 2008 8:22 pm

Ok I filled my gas tank with water it was cheaper, but now the truck wont start.
hilldude

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon May 12, 2008 8:39 pm

hilldude wrote:Ok I filled my gas tank with water it was cheaper, but now the truck wont start.

Spending a LOT less of gas though eh? :mrgreen:

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu May 15, 2008 9:05 pm

hilldude wrote:Ok I filled my gas tank with water it was cheaper, but now the truck wont start.

Dang! I was going to say that! :lol:
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby Curmudgeon on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:53 am

Here's the bottom line. There are a lot of people out there selling this "technology." And they all rely on the same thing for their financial success. Customers with deep pockets and shallow brains.
Curmudgeon

Unread postby aja72 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:55 am

Yes this is good concept & some people done this concept true. I have seen this things first time on youtub.com & this is one kind of revolutionary achievement. :idea:
aja72

Return to Tow Vehicles