Skip to content

Change font size

Chevy Blazer??

Tow vehicles - discuss, debate, and assistance.

Chevy Blazer??

Unread postby Samsam on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi all

Thought I would ask the question here - we have never towed a trailer before, but we'd like to get one..

We own a 1998 Chevy Blazer ZR2 - anyone know if this truck can tow a small trailer reliably?
Or should we start by getting a different vehicle for towing?

Thanks!
Samsam

Re: Chevy Blazer??

Unread postby pwall on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Check your owners manual and see what the max trailer towing rate is.
On another thread, it was listed at 5500lbs. There are many smaller trailers that are lightweight that can certainly be within that limit.
When you look for a trailer, go by the GVWR of the trailer. For example, if a trailer has a 'dry' weight of 3500lbs (dry means empty...no water, food, clothes, etc), but has a GVWR of 5000lbs, that means the trailer can hold 1500 lbs of gear.
But that GVWR has to be within spec of your tow vehicle.

I used to tow a 30ft trailer with a 99 Safari van, same basic drive-train as your Blazer. It handled it ok, but the trailer was only 4200lbs. It was an ultra-light weight trailer.
Many of the smaller trailers now have the ends that fold down like a tent trailer. That can give you the sleeping space you need, but in a lighter package.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby frank on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:21 am

pwall has given you some really good advice not only having the right truck to tow a trailer with you also need to stop usually with the right truck comes all the equipment
frank

Unread postby Samsam on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:31 am

Thanks! I think my hubby and I agree we'd feel more comfortable with a truck more suited to towing especially for coming down the big hills in areas we like to go :)
Samsam

Return to Tow Vehicles