Skip to content

Change font size

Ford Ranger Towing

Tow vehicles - discuss, debate, and assistance.

Ford Ranger Towing

Unread postby Smudgeboss on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26 am

Relatively new to RV so please forgive my stupidity:

Have a 2008 Ford Ranger with a 3 L motor and manual tranny. Have pulled a pop up with it.

We are buying an RV trailer. Dry weight 1450 lbs. My Ranger manual says 6000 lbs GCWR and 2280 max trailer weight. Frontal area max is 50square feet (trailer frontage is 54 square feet but I am sure that would be from the ground to the top (it says exterior height is 8'4" but interior height is only 6'6") so frontal area should be okay. 2 Adults in the truck 200, and 140 lbs. Trailer manufacturer says wet weight would be about 2000 lbs. I am thinking it might work, but here is an issue. The trailer has trailer breaks, and my ranger manual says the "electrical system is not equipped to accomodate electric trailer brakes."

What do you guys who are wiser than me say about this situation? Is it time to upgrade the truck? With buying a trailer we don't want a "mortgage" and have to buy a truck if we can avoid it.

thanks
Smudgeboss

Re: Ford Ranger Towing

Unread postby Limey on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. It would probably tow it OK, but no brake controller could be an issue. Now, many states (Colorado for example) do not require trailer brakes if trailer is under 3000 lbs. Having said that, if you decide you enjoy towing a TT and you want to go bigger it would then be necessary to get a bigger truck as well.

If it were my choice, I would get a bigger truck. Not only that, with only a 3.0 V6 you will be really struggling on hills etc., with that trailer. :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ford Ranger Towing

Unread postby frank on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:42 am

I think you just got some very good advice. You will definitely need at least at the brake control but you may want to consider buying a bigger truck. I know when I bought my fifth wheel I had no idea what I was doing a friend that I work with who has been RVing just about all his life. I went and I talked to him and he said it would be very wise for me to buy a diesel I'm not saying you will need a diesel but I think a bigger truck would definitely help that's about all I can say I am not an expert on this. Good luck and welcome to the form
frank

Return to Tow Vehicles