Skip to content

Change font size

Tow vehicle survey 2wd or 4wd

Tow vehicles - discuss, debate, and assistance.

Tow vehicle survey 2wd or 4wd

Unread postby jp rver on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:18 pm

I am involved in a thread on the "other" forum that is debating the necessity of 4wd trucks. The original poster posed a question if he should get a 4x4 or not, and the debate took off from there.

I completely understand that not everyone needs 4x4, and I respect that. However there is one individual in that thread who always claims that he doesn't need 4x4 to "climb this hill" or "haul hay in the fields" and is basically claiming that no one needs 4x4, they just want it. I feel that some of us do need it to do our everyday tasks, so why does he feel the need to insult our driving ability?

So, without getting a raging debate going, (I hope), tell us do you have 2wd or 4wd. If you have 4wd, do you consider it a need, or just a luxury.

I will start.

I tow with a 4x4 truck. I use my truck for a variety of tasks in a wide variety of conditions, and find that 4x4 is much more capable, especially around the farm, and can do more with it than I can the 2wd trucks I used to own. In my case, I feel it is a need.

Comments?
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Tow vehicle survey 2wd or 4wd

Unread postby Mikey on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:48 pm

My primary tow vehicle is a 4x4. It is not necessary, however it is a luxury I don't mind paying for as when I forget to put it in 4wd it's slips and slides on grass (chewing up a decent hole if I'm not paying attention), digs holes in gravel etc. It's worth the price for the smooth departures.

My car is an AWD. I won't go back to 2wd unless I HAVE to. I can accelerate off a turn on a hill without spinning, I get through snow wih out any issue, and when I tow with it I have NO wheel slippage when pulling heavy boats out of a green slicked boat ramp. However, it isn't necessary. Once again, a luxury I don't mind paying for.
2008 Amerilite 23bw
Towed by a Silverado 2500 HD.
Other toys:CBR1100XX,EX500 ImageImage

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket, does.
Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:45 pm

As I said over there, it really depends on the requirement for it. It seems that some of the die-hard "gotta be a 4X4" crowd can really only justify their "need" for it based on the possible scenario of them needing to pull their rig out of a mud bogged campsite someday.

Most will never be in that situation, nor will they ever use the truck beyond the abilities of 2WD the rest of the time.

It seems some have almost stretched the justification for 4WD being an absolute necessity to the point where they seem to suggest that if your wheels ever leave asphalt (to back a RV onto a grass site, for example) that you'd be screwed without 4WD.

Like I said there - I don't debate that some people need (or can at least seriously justify) 4WD - contractors who drive their trucks into mudpit construction sites, for example, or people who plow...or do serious offroading. However, I'd venture to bet that allot of people who have 4X4's and use their TV's as mostly haulers and grocery-getters never really ever *need* the abilities, but simply like the extra assurance knowing it's there, despite the drawbacks of having it but never using it. (MPG losses).

My 1 ton is 2WD and with a LSD rear-end I was spectacularly surprised about it's capabilities, even with the box unloaded all winter. Would I need or want 4WD? Not after my experiences with a LSD. Your mileage may vary. :)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby leadm55 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:31 pm

I had 4wd's until I bought the Dodge diesel dually and I would love to go back to a 4x4. It is really embarrassing to get stuck on wet grass in a camp ground. Had to unhook and put some gravel down just to move my camper 20 feet. Also dealing with Kansas weather from time to time I believe 4wd is necessarary. Although front wheel drive vehicles do a heck of a job I would rather rely on a 4x4.
Les & Diane
Conway Springs, Ks
2009 Dodge 3500 6.7 diesel 1 ton SRW 4x4
1999 Spinnaker 32' 2 slide
leadm55

Unread postby ParTimCmpr on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:45 pm

My TV is 2WD. My plans are to camp mostly in campgrounds where hopefully 4WD will not be needed. I have read several threads and seen the debates as well. If I were going to more remote locations I would want 4WD for those times where traction is an issue. As for snowy weather, by TV is not my daily driver and I usually will not be camping during winter weather.

ParTimCmpr
ParTimCmpr
Fayetteville, Georgia
2006 Sunline T2553
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
ParTimCmpr

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:18 pm

A good part of our camping is done in NFS type campgrounds in what would normally be called "back country". We also camp on the beach sometimes on our winter trips. That being said I've never found any NEED for 4 wheel drive. One of the attributes of a 4X4 is that it'll get you stuck a lot further from help. That 1200 lb. pushing down on the rear of my truck gives me sufficient traction as long as I use my head about where I go. Snow is no problem and it does pretty good even on ice. Mud I'd stay out of whether I had a 4X4 or not and you DO have to use your head about loose sand. Now for driving around WITHOUT the trailer a 4X4 would be nice to have. Good luck / Skip
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby milzat on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:22 pm

My TV is 4wd.
It's gotten me out of a bind twice in the past 16 months of ownership. Both were while towing the TT. The 4 seconds it took to shift into 4wd save lots of time and aggravation. For a daily driver, I really don't need 4wd, but purchased it for the reason previously stated.

I guess reassurance IS a good explanation for the purchase. I feel secure knowing I've got it IF ever needed.

I've owned a few 4wd vehicles in the past(long ago, in my younger days), but for different reasons(hunting, fishing, etc..), but those days are long gone.
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby Limey on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:05 pm

In Colorado you won't find many two wheel drive trucks. All my vehicles (truck, Magnum and Explorer are 4x4 because I live out in the country, my drive is 1/4 mile from the road, I am 30 miles from work and it snows a lot!

An example of why I prefer 4x4 over 2x4. Last fall we did our final trip up into the Rockies. 3 trailers. Me with Dodge 2500 4x4 and 5er, friend #1 with Tundra 4x4 and TT, friend #2 with F350 Dually 2x4 and 5er - (he moved here from California). Snow squall came in on our trip home. I and friend #1 made it up and over a steep hill by using 4x4. Friend #2 got stuck half way up and we had to get ploughs to clear the hill and pull him out. A month ago, friend #2 became the proud owner of a new F350 dually 4x4. He has already towed up in the mountains and his DW says he now needs surgery to take the smile off his face. :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:25 pm

In this part of the country it is almost impossible to find a 2wd truck for that reason I think most people inthe northeast end up with 4wd. I have considered 2wd but cant easily find one.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby crazyaboutcampin on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:29 pm

If I camped in trailer parks, never got off the asphalt and didn't have to drive it in the snow I could probably get by with a 4X2. I can't get by without a dually and 4X2 duallies stink in the snow without a bunch of weight. Around here to get a 4X2 dually you would have to special order one in. Then give it away come trade in time. JMHO :)
S&S on a Dodge dually 4X4
crazyaboutcampin

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:36 pm

Do they still make two wheel drive trucks? :D

They certainly don't SELL man, at least in Upstate NY! I needed to move my HTT to the dealer yesterday (I'm trading it in), and between the snow and the mud, I never would have moved it with a 2WD.
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:46 pm

I wish a few of you guys could drive my dually with the limited slip rear-end in the snow. I think most of you would be as surprised as I was the first few times I tackled snowfalls. Even with no weight in the box other then the fifth wheel hitch I had NO problems all winter long, and we got more snow this past winter then we did in decades.

I did get myself into a situation in early January where I was almost positive I was going to need a tow to get out - we went into a conservation area for geocaching event and after getting to the bottom of the steep (icy, at that) road to the parking lot I looked back up the hill we had just (foolishly, I thought) came down, and my heart sank.

However, when the time came to depart I just gingerly walked up it without as much as breaking traction once. I was REALLY surprised, and that alone sold me on the LSD.

As for those mentioning wheel slip in the grass when trying to move your TT, what about dropping the WD hitch bars so you get dead-weight loaded on your drive tires - I'd venture to guess that this would remedy the traction issue.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:21 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:I wish a few of you guys could drive my dually with the limited slip rear-end in the snow. I think most of you would be as surprised as I was the first few times I tackled snowfalls. Even with no weight in the box other then the fifth wheel hitch I had NO problems all winter long, and we got more snow this past winter then we did in decades.

I am quite surprised at your success PP, because I have read many times that duallies are useless in low traction situations. Obviously your success disproves that claim. What kind of tires do you run? I think your tires combined with the fact that your LSD works properly must be contributing to your successes.

On my 1/2 ton, I must admit my current tires are down to less than 50% traction surface remaining. I haven't worn them down to the tread wear indicators, but will need tires within a year. I am just trying to get by until next fall/winter to purchase some new ones.

Anyway, when travelling in the snow, if I have to come to a stop and then take off, if I have to travel uphill my truck will just sit and spin unless I engage the 4x4. I also have a LSD rear, and both tires will just spin. Probably has something to do with my tires and the fact that my pickup bed is just too light to put much weight on the rear. I have had other 2wd trucks in the past, and to get around on the hills in the snow I would always throw a 1/2 rank of wood in the bed to get some weight back there. The weight definately helped, along with good tires, but you still had to always try to maintain momentum when approaching hills. Taking off from a dead stop on a hill in the snow was not possible, but with 4x4, it is.
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:41 pm

I had heard so many horror stories about the uselessness of duallys in the snow that I had mentally prepared myself for a long winter of frustration. One coworker of mine went so far as to bet me that the first time it snowed my wife would have to drive me to work in our minivan because I'd never make it down my own street, much less the 8 miles to work through city streets.

I will admit that more then a few coworkers had to eat crow as the winter wore on, especially with the brutal one we just had.

I've never paid attention to what sort of rubber is on the back end - it's what came with the truck - appears to be a moderately good treat pattern, although it's clearly not a pure street tire, but a good all-season mix with some lugs. They're wearing spectacularly well as well, traction aside.

I'm sure if I put a few thousand pounds in the bed I could snowplow with this thing with the best of the 4X4's out there.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:03 am

PrivatePilot wrote:
I'm sure if I put a few thousand pounds in the bed I could snowplow with this thing with the best of the 4X4's out there.

That reminds me, there is an old guy here in town with a little 1/2 ton 2wd 80s chevy that has a little snow plow on the front. I always laugh when I see it, but, I have never seen him stuck, and I have seen him cleaning off a few lots around town. He has a little sand in the bed for weight, and I guess it works for him! :D
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Terry on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:13 am

I have been camping for more than 25 years. And although I have had 3 4x4 TVs. I have never needed one while towing. Few of the CGs we go to are paved, and have yet to get stuck on wet grass. The TT is stored on grass, and I have yet to have a problem getting it out, and it is up hill.
However. If a person wants one, or needs one for their farm, or work, or play. Go for it. It is all about what makes each person happy. I just don't think we should be telling each person that brings it up. That they just got to have a 4x4 to tow a TT. Cause you don't, and in fact. 4x4 reduces you towing capacity.
BTW. My current TV is 4x2. and the mpg is much better. as is the ride, and it is easier to get into.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby kilbrider on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:40 am

I have a 4X4 TV that is also used as my daily driver. DW has an AWD Toyota Rav4. We have only had the trailer for one season, but have never had occasion to use the four wheel drive while towing the trailer. We both have it for our daily driving. Winters are long and can be brutal around here, and I've had to kick it into 4X4 more than once this winter. To make matters worse, if anyone knows St. John's, there are a lot of inclines in the City, some of them quite steep. It's just a comfort to know you have the option if needed.
Leah & Cliff ( just us)
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280WS
2015 Ford F250 XLT, 4X4
kilbrider

Unread postby ReedMan on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:33 pm

My 1500 pickup has an open rearend. I can smoke one tire on anything remotely slippy. I have even less weight in the rear due to the polymer bed. When the back end gets slippy, I engage the autotrac and the truck straightens out and pulls hard. Yes, I really feel the need for a locker but haven't paid the $400.00 yet.

My parents are going to go full-timing and most people that they run into (full timers) are towing with a 2wd dually. Think about this...How many class A or C motorhomes are 4wd? What trouble are you planning on getting into with a trailer that you wouldn't with a motorhome?

What is the actual price difference between 4wd and 2wd? What is the actual MPG difference also? Anyone have these numbers for a specific model truck? I'd be interested.

As for me; my next truck is a C3500HD duramax/allison dually for my new fiver.

That is my two cents.

Bones
ReedMan, Wife, 3 Kids
TT - 2002 Flagstaff 25LB (Triple Bunks!)
TV - 2001 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/3.73 Stepside
ReedMan

Unread postby graywolf67 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:57 pm

I never really wanted a 4X4 because I live in Houston in suburbia and no real need for it, But this truck I ahve now came along and the price was almost to good to pass up so I got it. I have used it(4X4) a couple of times and plan to use it when we go to west Texas. Also it just makes the truck look really good :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:40 pm

My work truck is a 4X4, I 'wanted' it because I have a very long dirt/gravel driveway to back my old TT down and into my yard. We sold our smaller TT and now have a 30' that will not fit in my yard....so I bought a new TV to haul the TT and 4X4 would have been nice, but I got a real deal on the TV I have now. Geez...now I'm confused! So to answer the simple question...I have a 2WD TV and it works for me.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby crazyaboutcampin on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:06 am

A previous poster brought up a point about your MH is not 4x4 and got me to thinking. I know, scary thought!! I think a lot of it has to do with your style of camping and what you do with your "tow vehicle" when not towing. Do you live in snow country and drive it year round? Are you a hunter? Do you have to ascend/descend muddy slippery mountain roads to hunting spots/camp? I have a 4x4 and use 4x4 several times a year, especially in winter. MY dually stinks in the snow/ice. 4 tires with no weight trying to push that heavy Cummins around just doesn't work for me on slick surfaces. I don't hassle with sand bags in the rear as I can just reach down, shift it into 4x4 and no problems. I have also used 4x4 while on summer camping trips. I have a truck camper and I admit I like the seldom seen spots. I have the busted clearance lights, vent covers and brush scatches to go along with it. Now if I had a "dedicated tow vehicle" and had a travel trailer or 5th wheel and preferred the social life of campgrounds a 4x2 would do me just fine. So I think most of it has to do with YOUR needs and lifestyle. JMHO :)
S&S on a Dodge dually 4X4
crazyaboutcampin

Unread postby kiwiruss on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:06 am

One other reason for going 4x4 is to get the lower rearend ratio, 4.10 vrs 3.73 in the case of our GMC.
kiwiruss

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:43 am

I tow with a 4x2 suburban with a locking differential and have never had a problem. I think it depends on many factors as to 4x4 verses 4x2. The difference in cost is now a little over $2700.00. That is a lot of wrecker pulls. I never argue with someone that is determined to drive a 4x4 vehicle. I have found that most of the time it is just a peace of mind thing; which is fine. A major study was done several years ago to find out why people drive 4x4 vehicles. This study was conducted by a vehicle mfr to thousands of 4x4 owners across the nation. the top three answers were it just looks tougher, peace of mind, and work related. Another question was how often do you use the 4x4 feature and almost 75% answered almost never. When I bought my suburban I was told I needed 4x4. I said that I did not want 4x4 but I did want the locking diff. The dealer had no 4x2s on the lot but found me what I wanted. I really think a lot more people would buy 4x2 if they were on the lots especially with today's economy, knowing the look is now the same, the difference in price and payment (around $40 am month), insurance cost, fuel or gas milage difference. In this economy I have become a big proponent of wants and needs but this is my opinion only. If you want to drive a 4x4 by all means do. This is just food for thought. One thing most people do not realize about locking diff. It only works at speeds under 20 miles per hour. so if you gun it, it will release and you are back to pulling with one wheel. I get out of places with my suburban that I see others sitting and spinning. I just move a little slower until I am on sure footed ground.
Carolina Cruiser

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:03 pm

It's kind of funny the number of people I see getting towed off of the beach in their "full time all wheel drive" vehicles because they THINK they have a 4x4. Marginally better than a 4x2 with LS differential in many circumstances. There is one beach access on South Padre where most days there is a guy in a 80 vintage Chevy who parks behind a dune near the entrance and waits for folks to pull onto the beach, get stuck and he runs a cable out and tows them out. I think it's his main source of income with practically no overhead since he OFTEN doesn't even have to MOVE his truck. I think his fee is $50.00 to get em off of the beach. Easy money if you ask me :D

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby campinfan on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:21 pm

4 WD for me. It gets slick here in Michigan in the winter
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CT32SB
2008 F 250 Super Crew FX4, V10 4.10 Tow Command Package
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 311412.jpg
campinfan

Unread postby Benny on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:40 pm

I've towed with both, 2WD and now have a 4WD. I must say that 95% of the time I can do without the 4WD but on at least 2 occasions I've needed the 4WD while towing. It's also nice to have around here with all the snow we get in the winter. I didn't get stuck once, and in fact had to pull a couple of neighbours out of the snowbank after storms.
2005 Glendale Titanium 28E33B
2005 Chev Duramax 2500 CC
Benny

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:33 pm

kiwiruss wrote:One other reason for going 4x4 is to get the lower rearend ratio, 4.10 vrs 3.73 in the case of our GMC.

You can get the lower ratio without being forced to spec 4X4 - mine is 4.10 but only 4X2.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:42 am

This is a topic that has no winners or losers. It just depends on each individual. I have a 2X4 and do not want the added cost of a 4X4. I also have a anti spin rear end and have no trouble. Then once more our camping style is in state Parks or in private camping grounds no rough camping. I had my fill of that in the mid sixties when my friends ??? and neighbors sent me on a tour. And once more as a scout leader for eight years
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby CanadianRVers on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:23 pm

My 4x4 is my primary vehicle & living in a rural area of Saskatchewan I feel a NEED to be 4x4 as well as some areas that we camp in, if it rains you NEED 4 wheel to get out towing a fiver
CanadianRVers
Doug & Cindy Walsh
08Kingston33SK
04 Silverado D/A
ImageImage
CanadianRVers

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:28 pm

looking at the market in the northeast I would bet eventually you wont have a choice but get a 4wd.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby 1tonmegacab on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:50 pm

my truck is 4x4 and even though i dont need 4x4 much i have had to use it a few times

and also i am used to having one as i grew up in upstate new york about 50 miles from montreal canada and in the winter when you get feet of snow over the course of a day sometimes u need it plus i drive back home sometimes in the winter
1tonmegacab

Unread postby chevman on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:48 am

Last 3 trucks were bought to tow fifthwheels and all were 2wd. Last 2 chevs had locker rear ends. Dodge did not but worked good for the 14K miles we owned the truck. chevman
chevman

Unread postby 1tonmegacab on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:31 am

well like i said before i own 4x4 for my own reasons and thats good enough

but i will say that from experience i have owed the exact same truck with the all the same features one 2x4 and one 4x4 and the 2x4 go farther than the 4x4 in 2x4 but when switched into 4x4 then it was a whole different ballgame

i know when i grew up in the northeast and we would get 4-5 feet of fresh snow on the ground overnight that if u were trying to go anywhere before the roads were all cleaned then it was not happening in a 2x4 i dont cat what gears/differential you had

now will you get lucky here and there now and then wit ha 2x4 sure but if you live in areas that have bad weather then you need it is you want to 98% of the time consistently get out in that bad weather

now i dont use my 4x4 often but when i need it it is there and yes 3 k will get you prob around here about 10-20 depending on where you are (tows from a local tow truck here are around 300.00) but ya got to wait for him to come and what if it is cold out and you slipped off the road and something happened you lost your heat but 4x4 could have got you out

well will that happen very often no prob never but the peace of mind factor comes in that i prob could get out if i had 4x4

so i say to each their own do what you do because its what you want to do
1tonmegacab

Unread postby va_jay55 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:29 pm

I'm probably one of the rare few, but, I tow with a van and, of course, it's 2WD.

I say, if you need 4x4 for the daily work truck and it also is your tow vehicle, go fer it. If you need it, then, you need. it.
I have a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder and I've only needed the 4WD 5 times since I've owned it. I have used 4WD on a couple of accasions for off road use and every 3 to 4 months just to make sure it still works. I'm getting ready to sell it as I just don;t need it enough anymore. My job used to require it when weather conditions demanded, but, that has changed over the years.

Now, I did drool over a jacked up 4WD version of my E350 once. LOL Nice captains chairs too. :mrgreen:
Jay, Gay & the Kid Cyd . . Pics. . Gettysburg Rally 5/15-18/08 . . Elk Neck Rally 9/26-28/08
Ford E350 XLT SD . . Prodigy . . Equal-i-zer WDH . . 07 Rockwood Roo 233
va_jay55

Unread postby hilldude on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:43 pm

My current TV is 4X4 seldom need it but nice to have when you do.some state parks and national forest camp grounds are hard to get into and out of.WV has a shortage of flat ground.TV has limited slip differential big help.4X4 is like power windows can get along with out it but will not own a truck without either. some gravel roads in national forest are steep grades hard to pull a camper up with out spinning wheels
hilldude

Need the 4x4 every now & then

Unread postby antiqfreq on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:58 pm

We have a 4x4.

Really didn't intentionally set out to find one,
but since found we need it just to get in and out of our property
sometimes with the trailer.

Rains alot here and makes that grass slick - to keep from tearing
it completely up we need to put it in the 4x4 mode!

Jo
2007 Keystone Cougar 291RLS
2003 F250 - 7.3 diesel baby !
antiqfreq

Unread postby HarleyMedic on Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:32 pm

4x4 down here in the swamp. Plus I have a 16 y/o with a 4x4 durango. I need the 4paw to go get him out of the river bottom every now and then. :roll: or is it the other way around. I forget.
Scott & Bonnie
2006 F-350 SRW King Ranch
2004 39ft. Victory Lane 35SRV
1998 Road King
2003 Road King
HarleyMedic

Unread postby Mikey on Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:42 pm

Am I mistaken, or has there been no mention of "you don't need a 4x4", but instead, we've got people citing valid reasons why they do and don't have a 4x4. Good discussion people!

I LOVE my AWD and I use it to play everywhere (sand, mud, snow). However, when I pickup a larger tow vehicle, 4x4 won't be on my "need" list, I'm just not in the situations that warrant it. If I have to trade my AWD for it, then it'll be 4x4 if I can get away with it, due to the reasons listed above (play play play).
2008 Amerilite 23bw
Towed by a Silverado 2500 HD.
Other toys:CBR1100XX,EX500 ImageImage

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket, does.
Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Terry wrote:
If a person wants one, or needs one for their farm, or work, or play. Go for it.

It is all about what makes each person happy. I just don't think we should be telling each person that brings it up. That they just got to have a 4x4 to tow a TT. Cause you don't, and in fact. 4x4 reduces you towing capacity.

BTW. My current TV is 4x2. and the mpg is much better. as is the ride, and it is easier to get into.

Yup.it's sort of what part of the country & The conditions u usally drive in.Also some choose whats "cool" for them,The problem is, not everyone makes the smart choice which is OK if u dont care about gas milage,sifficient power,or spending another $30 to $45 grand to buy a proper TV each time u upgrade the TT or go to a 5er!!!!!

I bought my big boy to haul our big boat & for future use of halling a 5er which may now never happen Our small TT is quite happy & well protected when in tow & if i do upgrade to a 5er,i'm all set.Also some call my truck a gas hog.At 10 MPG & no payments ,call me anything u want.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby jp rver on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:19 pm

MCBOWERS wrote:
I bought my big boy to haul our big boat & for future use of halling a 5er which may now never happen Our small TT is quite happy & well protected when in tow & if i do upgrade to a 5er,i'm all set.Also some call my truck a gas hog.At 10 MPG & no payments ,call me anything u want.

With no payments, 10 mpg is very easy to afford! If it fits your needs, is paid for, and does the job, I call you a smart man! ;)
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby catmom on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:23 pm

4x4. Too much snow & winter yuck to deal with around here with a light-ended truck with rear wheel drive! 4WD got a workout this winter, for sure.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby lifelongcampers on Tue May 06, 2008 12:16 am

We have a 4X4 but I don't think it's a necessity. My wife, however, does think it is..... so......... LOL.
lifelongcampers

Unread postby cwit on Tue May 06, 2008 6:46 pm

4x4 all the way , to get out of my driveway you have to climb uphill all the way. 2foot snow storms are common in our area and twice this winter we had ice storms. Oh I also live 4 miles back on a dead end road. :D
cwit

Unread postby lifelongcampers on Thu May 08, 2008 9:48 pm

Well cwit, that's the best reason yet I've heard for requiring it. LOL.
lifelongcampers

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Fri May 09, 2008 6:27 pm

4X4 I go to a lake that has lot's of sand. 2wd would NEVER work for me.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby farrman on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:32 pm

I was with everybody that said I dont need it for my kind of camping,and that was true for years..
But two summers ago in the Cypress Hills out west we got on a gravel road that got narrower and narrower,the gravel turned to loose round stone and the hill got so steep that we just stopped -wheels spinning.
Last summer got stuck on wet grass flat ground,heard the stories before never believed it happened so easy.
Next truck will be 4X4 even if we never see snow again.
farrman

Unread postby pwall on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:08 am

4x4 for me. I've been in a number of parks where you're on grass...and after a weekend of rain, you're thankful for the 4x4.
One weekend camping trip, I had to pull out a mini-van and their tent trailer as they couldn't move.

Plus I use my truck a lot in the winter for Scouting activities. Lot of scout camps I wouldn't venture into without 4x4.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:06 pm

Used my 4x4 quite a bit just this weekend. Not to pull the TT, but to get around the park. We got 10" of snow at Montauk State Park on Saturday, and with the hills in that area without 4x4 you were going nowhere! Truck performed flawlessly.
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Anyone who has either the need OR the desire for a 4X4 certainly should get one. I've never used one for towing and never been stuck but there have been a few times that I DIDN'T go someplace that I MIGHT have gone if I had a 4X4. Specifically on the beach in Texas. We often camp there when we winter down there and it means I have to stay in areas where the sand is well packed. I really don't see ANY way it should ever end up in a debate of what someone ELSE needs or wants though. Good luck / Skip

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby cwit on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:22 am

We are in Lakewood campsite in Myrtle beach snowbirding for a nother month. Yesterday I watched a dully pulling a 3 slide Montane try to back into a site many times and as soon as his rear tires would hit the grass he would start spinning, he did finally make it but a 4x4 sure would of helped him. :D
cwit

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:01 pm

Just 2 for us. Never been anywhere I needed more.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby 3ares on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:20 pm

I tow with a 2wd, we will rent a 4wd Jeep to go 4wheelin' because they are narrow like most of the trails.

Happy Rving.
3ares
2016 Ford P.S. F250 6.7 diesel, 2wd-locking diff.
2015 Sundance XLT 275 fith wheel
3ares

Return to Tow Vehicles