Skip to content

Change font size

Why are we the last?

Tow vehicles - discuss, debate, and assistance.

Why are we the last?

Unread postby mtlogger44 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:03 am

I know from friends (Wolf) who drove mining trucks and locomotives (Sam) that we have the knowledge and the technology. So, why is it the Japanese are able to build a small diesel/electric that can pull a decent load - yet it's not downsized enough for the average rv'er?

http://www.mitfuso.com/pages/news-hevconcept.html
Matt J: '93 Mack 30 yd Belly Dumper (685 k/mi)
GT rig: '03 Uni 1750L (89k/km) Michellin 335/80R20's
Alfred: '99 Dodge V10 (124k/mi) w/26ft Jamco;
Bert: '08 Dakota 4.7 (27,875 mi) w/19ft Airstream, Space 10 tent,
mtlogger44

Re: Why are we the last?

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:20 pm

Well, Logger, just go check out the payload on EU or South African, or Aussie trucks.

& RVs.

You will find that it seems as though in N. Am. that it has to look big for North Americans to think that it can do the job.

Meanwhile, the strength of the frame, the physical size of the engine, the axle rating, all of these things are stronger in the regions/countries I named.

Of course, N. American roads are wide and that has helped promote the idea of bigger is better. But when you're negotiating over roads surrounded by industrial, residential and governmental structures, many generations old, you kind of have to find a rig & design that works and is narrow guage between the wheels.

I also have the impression from EU countries and Japan that the average person doesn't expect to live in a ranch house. Thus, the expectations for living space in an rv are different than on this continent.

I don't know how many of the EU or Japanese manufactures webpages with specifications are in English, but maybe that's what google translations are for

Lets see
payload
gross vehicle axle rating
wheel size,

They will be in metric natch and that's international, most places.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Why are we the last?

Unread postby mtlogger44 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:11 pm

You didn't read the article - the Fuso is a medium duty truck 26-33,000lbs. This is the same GVWR as the Kodiak, Top Kick and F550. I pm'd Robert Ryan in Oz about it and he said Isuzu is testing a similar vehicle there and another one for OTR's.
Matt J: '93 Mack 30 yd Belly Dumper (685 k/mi)
GT rig: '03 Uni 1750L (89k/km) Michellin 335/80R20's
Alfred: '99 Dodge V10 (124k/mi) w/26ft Jamco;
Bert: '08 Dakota 4.7 (27,875 mi) w/19ft Airstream, Space 10 tent,
mtlogger44

Return to Tow Vehicles