Skip to content

Change font size

Trailer Tow Weights--WD Hitch Questions?

Tow vehicles - discuss, debate, and assistance.

Trailer Tow Weights--WD Hitch Questions?

Unread postby JQSpree on Sat May 16, 2009 7:22 pm

I’m posting on this topic to try to understand my towing related numbers and determine if they make sense. I finally made it to the scales this week (twice). My ½ ton has the following:

Sticker/ Scales (Truck with trailer)
Manual (Truck Only w/ld)

GVWR 6,800 6,180 7,080
GAWR Frt 3,650 3,390 3,000
GAWR Rear 3,950 2,810 4,080
Towing Max 7,600
GCWR 13,000 12,620

The trailer is a 26’ (28’,8”) Weight as equipped and delivered 5,600, dry tongue weight of 800lbs. GWWR 7,000. On the scales, the trailer weighed 5,560 on trailer axles, and increased truck weight of 900lbs (tongue weight?) for total of 6,460 lbs. I did not unhook trailer on scale to get total weight or tongue weights. Not sure I can, but will try again if needed.

As I understand from a practical side, I think I am over on rear axle, and very close on total combined weight. This was close to being camping ready, with wife in truck, gas full, generator and other stuff in back, and truck loaded except for fresh and refrig food and some clothes. Once I know what exactly these numbers mean and which ones I can do something about, I will try to make changes re truck modifications, or reloading or unloading trailer.

The number that confuses me is the front axle weight reduction of 390 lbs with trailer hooked up? Does this mean that the weight distribution hitch is not working or adjusted correctly? Can I use the increase in overall truck weight as the tongue weight? The hitch is an Equalizer 10,000lb with 1,000lb bars

On top of that, I have typical ½ ton passenger tires on truck, which I will replace with truck tires when I need to change. I make sure they are at max pressure of 45lbs.

If someone can help me determine if WD is working or needs adjusting or anything else in plain non engineering lingo, I would appreciate it. The truck sits very high in rear when unloaded, and sits fairly level with trailer and bars attached. Knowing what I know now, I should have bought a larger truck or smaller trailer and listened less to the salesmen in purchasing our first truck and trailer!!! I thought I was being plenty safe by limiting my trailer GVWR to 10% less than trucks supposed capacity. Trailer seems to pull okay based on being my first trailer. Truck steering does not seem to be light or unresponsive.

I also posted on the other board, but that could end up being a lecture to me on how stupid I am! I need friendly help. Skip?
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Re: Trailer Tow Weights--WD Hitch Questions?

Unread postby Ozimo on Sun May 17, 2009 10:01 am

Tires: If you're doing this continuously - like every weekend from now on, you'd be wise to change over to LT rated "C" tires. LT tires ride harder, because of increased tire pressure, usually 65 psi. If this is once in a while thing, just pump the tires up to the cold max and drive 55.

I drive heavy 6-7 trucks most of the time, so I don't have that particular problem.
Capt. Abraham Quasuittuq
FV Ozimo III- Amsterdam
MV Aleutian Princess - Galapagos
Ozimo

Unread postby JQSpree on Sun May 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi Capt Abraham,
As I said, I plan to replace the passenger rated tires with light truck tires with stiffer sidewalls as soon as replacement is needed. My current tires are rated at 2,205 lbs each and I do tow at cold max of 45 lbs. We don't get over 55mph very often and it pulls very nicely on flat ground. In the mtns like coming up to Yellowstone and Tetons right after Memorial Day, I expect to have some slow uphill climbs. I am in no hurry and thats just the way it is. I just want to adjust the hitch or do whatever else I can do in short term to mitigate what seems like a crappy situation.
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Sun May 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Ozimo on Thu May 21, 2009 7:57 pm

I would hope you correctly installed the hitch?

Anyway, it looks like Yellowstone is going to be popular this weekend. We're entering from Thoroughfare which is in the extreme southeastern corner, accessible only the mule or horse. Nothing like leaving the rigs at the trail head and doing it the old fashioned way. The NPS backcountry Ranger sees to the permits for us and the animals and the Tribal officers issue their permits as we need them.
Capt. Abraham Quasuittuq
FV Ozimo III- Amsterdam
MV Aleutian Princess - Galapagos
Ozimo

Return to Tow Vehicles