Skip to content

Change font size

Inverter Installation

12V and 120V System Q&A

Inverter Installation

Unread postby Festus2 on Sat May 30, 2009 3:54 pm

I am considering buying and installing a 1750W inverter. Before doing this, I have a few questions for those of you who might have installed their own inverter:
1) I have read that you should try to install the inverter as close to the batteries as possible. The further the two are apart you would need a heavier gauge wire cord to connect the two to avoid excessive heat buildup in the wires. Would 20 ft be too far apart?
2) I think you can plug your RV 110 electrical cord directly into the inverter -- is this correct?
3) Can you or should you somehow connect the inverter to the converter?
4) If you have just a battery <----> inverter hookup, do you or should you have wire in new 110 electrical outlets (running to the inverter )?
5) How much heat is generated by the inverter? I know that some have a built in fan - on some models it runs continuously while on others it is does not run unless the heat builds up.
6) Is it necessary to purchase a pure sine wave inverter if you are going to use it to run the usual RV stuff - including a fairly large flat screeen TV?
Richard
2008 278 RKS Cougar 5th
2005 Chev 2500 Duramax
Festus2

Re: Inverter Installation

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:52 am

1750 is a large inverter so you will have to have a number of batteries to get maximum power from your inverter for any length of time. Doing that also means, you have to have a heavy amp charger to recharge said batteries. Likely your converter only puts out around 40-50 amps and this will take most of the day to replenish the batteries.

Further, you should post exactly what you plan on powering with this large inverter as that will dictate how much of a system you will need to install.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Festus2 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:21 am

After doing further research and talking with people who have inverters in their RV's, I have decided to down-size the converter to a much smaller one. Initially, I didnt realize how big of a battery bank you would need to feed an inverter of this size. The adage that "bigger is not necessarily better" is true in this instance I think.
I have also reviewed and reconsidered what things I will be using an inverter for and have also made a smaller list.
The bottom line is that I can get by with a smaller unit, less expense and fewer installation issues and complications.
Richard
Richard
2008 278 RKS Cougar 5th
2005 Chev 2500 Duramax
Festus2

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 am

Bear in mind that 1750 watts is the MAXIMUM amount of power that the inverter will deliver. Run lower wattage appliances and the load on the batteries to the inverter will be reduced proportionately. Anything that produces heat will have a significantly higher power consumption. Microwaves are also big power users, but their run times are generally of fairly short duration. Most electronics are low power users and most will run off modified sine wave inverters. A 1750 watt should run just about anything that you want to take with you. Just watch how long you run them.
It is best to mount your inverter as close to the batteries as possible unless you want to run extremely heavy cable to avoid too much voltage drop. IMO, 20' is too far away.
Some people will install an automatic transfer switch in the system. If you're plugged into shore power, the inverter will automatically be removed from the system. This will avoid a closed loop in the electrical system.
If your going to plug the trailer into the inverter, the converter cannot be allowed to run. Again, its closing the electrical loop. I believe the automatic transfer switches will take the battery charging capabilities of the converter out of the system. You can't draw power from the batteries and charge them at the same time. Most RV dealers have someone who is quite knowledgeable about inverters. Act like you're about to buy one and they'll give you a lot of information.

Mike
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby mikejenson on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi Festus2,

I would drop the size of your inverter too much, 1500 to 2000 watts is a good size. Remember the no-load draw isnt much different with a 2000 watt inverter as it is with a 1000 watt inverter. Which means if your load apply will draw about the same off the batteries with both inverters. But the 2000 watt inverter will allow you to have the option running much more electronics.

As your idea of running 20ft cables to you inverter, If possible I would advise against this as you will experience extreme efficiency lose and require more battery power to run your electronics. Usually its suggested to stay within 3 to 6 feet from the inverter if possible, remember you can connect a extension cord as long as you want from the inverter to your electronics with no efficiency lose. if 20ft is your only option I suggest going with o gauge cabling and even purchasing 3000 to 5000 watt inverter to make up for the lose.
mikejenson

Unread postby 86bigred on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:18 am

If you put a inverter in , make sure you don't run your converter at the same time.if the inverter is running your 120vac ,your converter will be plugged in and trying to charge you battery's, that is supplying power to supply the inverter.killing your battery's quickly. At work we put a switch in to turn off the converter when the inverter is on.
86bigred

Unread postby daddy2kids on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:34 pm

When going on long trips or when camping I always bring my handy inverter so I have something to charge my phones and laptops in case of emergencies. For home use, my backup power contingency is to use the generator. It really helps a lot when unexpected blackouts occurs at night.Since it can power up those big appliances like desktop pc or television etc.
daddy2kids

Return to Electrical