Skip to content

Change font size

Furnace ducting not distributing properly

Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Q&A

Furnace ducting not distributing properly

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:43 pm

Anyone else experienced this? We have a fairly standard ducted furnace system in our fiver.

The ducts towards the front of the trailer (the furthest distance from the furnace) receive hot air, but very little. The duct in the living room/kitchen receives a decent amount of hot air but by no means a lot. The duct in the kids bunk room at the back receives far too much hot air to the point where it overheats the room, and the kids! The living room and bunk room ducts are about the same distance from the furnace and seemingly on the same "main" duct, yet the bunk duct receives far more hot air.

Now, the obvious thought that I had was to turn down the duct in the floor in the bunk room thereby forcing more air to the front of the trailer...but that didn't work. Instead it seems like only marginally more air is being pushed forward and I've noticed that the furnace seems to go into "overheat shutdown", turning off the burner. The blower continues to run and when the duct temperatures drop enough the burner relights, but often a typical furnace cycle involves the furnace going into this overheat cycle several times, meanwhile it's still cool in the bathroom/upstairs.

Is it possible the main duct is partially blocked somehow? I can't seem to get a good look to see what it might be, but has this happened to anyone else?
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Furnace ducting not distributing properly

Unread postby Zinger on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:58 am

yes in my house!! the master bath is on the opposite end as the furnace.

I work in the heating buisness amd it is my opinion to if possible leave all ducts open it is better for the furnace. But you could try slightly closing all ducts but the coldest room. do not close any completly if the furnace shuts down on high limit that isnt good for the life expectancy of the furnace.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby wintek on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:04 pm

In my trailer the duct work is the flexible silver wrap coil similar to a flexible dryer vent. Unless there is some type of blockage, the way to fix would be to run larger ducts to the further ducts and smaller to the closest. I know, easier said than done.
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:43 pm

if the bunk room has a door try the heat with the door open a condition called stacking can occour when there isnt enough cold air return trailer furnaces are a central cold air return with the door closed the cold air return might not be enough.its worth a shot
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:00 pm

I don't know if this relates to your situation or not but here's what I run into in heating my Rockwood. The thermostat is located on the wall right outside of the door between the bathroom and living room. There is a floor vent just INSIDE the bathroom. If I leave the bathroom door open it causes the furnace to short cycle because heat blows directly up on the thermostat. With the bathroom door closed the heat is kept in the bathroom and with the other bathroom door OPEN it ends up in the front bed room, making THAT room much warmer. When the furnace short cycles it also doesn't stay on long enough to allow the very BACK of the trailer to warm evenly either so we had to learn to keep the LR/Bathroom door closed when using the furnace. Pretty obvious thing but it took us a while to get it worked out LOL
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby DFH-GMC on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:16 pm

Make sure the ducting hose is sealed to ducts at both ends,
DFH-GMC
DFH-GMC

Return to HVAC