Skip to content

Change font size

Ducted AC

Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Q&A

Ducted AC

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:04 pm

Our new trailer has ducted AC is it any better? I guess we will find out.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Ducted AC

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:46 pm

I've heard it's a big plus... I can see the disadvantages of *not* having it is that the far reaches of a TT are likely to experience temperature differences versus the area with the AC.

For example, our AC is located midships, but our master bedroom is at the far rear of the trailer, and there's no ductwork to get the cold air to the back.

Although we've not camped in A/C weather with this trailer yet, I can only guess that the bedroom is going to be considerably warmer versus the rest of the TT because of the lack of ducting.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:03 pm

I think it's a big plus for most trailer of any size at all. With the Rockwood there would be no way to get air to all three rooms without it. Our 25 foot Coachmen did not have ducted air as it was essentially one room with the bathroom on the back end. I can remember the wind, while lying on the bed with the air turned on made it kind of uncomfortable. Didn't help any that the AC was over sized for the trailers size. It got cool so fast it didn't have time to dehumidify properly so it was always a damp cool.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:18 pm

great I got lucky by mistake the trailer we bought just happened to have ducts it also has a thermostat controlling the ac so the fan doesnt run constantly
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Mikey on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:34 am

I couldn't imagine any bad points of ducting, other than perhaps cleaning every so often. And replacing wall mount thermostat with a programmable digital would be nice. I'm replacing my mercury/spring style thermometer this spring with a digital so I'm not worried to much about the coolness/warmth of the trailer. Also, it would be nice to have it turn on automatically about an hour before we show up on a Friday night when it's at a site!
2008 Amerilite 23bw
Towed by a Silverado 2500 HD.
Other toys:CBR1100XX,EX500 ImageImage

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket, does.
Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Cobra909 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Hey Zinger, fancy meeting you here too. Us Crossroaders got to stick together...got the link from Greg. Like Mikey said, be sure and replace the cheap bi-metal thermo with a digital. Very easy to do. Here's a link for anyone interested.
http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/hunter_install.html
:D
Julie & Lynn Hanks
Bailey (Cocker Spaniel)
2007 Dodge 3500 CTD QC 4x4 Laramie
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
Cobra909

Unread postby Zinger on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:59 pm

Mikey wrote:I couldn't imagine any bad points of ducting, other than perhaps cleaning every so often. And replacing wall mount thermostat with a programmable digital would be nice. I'm replacing my mercury/spring style thermometer this spring with a digital so I'm not worried to much about the coolness/warmth of the trailer. Also, it would be nice to have it turn on automatically about an hour before we show up on a Friday night when it's at a site!

with a programmable you could.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to HVAC