Skip to content

Change font size

I learned about PEX today!

RV related plumbing issues Q&A

I learned about PEX today!

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sun May 03, 2009 6:45 pm

De-Winterized (or is it Summerized) today, and found one of the valves for my water heater bypass leaking badly. Since it was PEX crimp-style connection, I really wasn't sure how to handle it. The nearest CW is about a 45 minute drive (Amsterdam, NY), so before I headed that far, I figured that I'd look local.

So I check out the local Home Depot, and don't you know, they have a HUGE selection of heavy duty PEX fittings, connections, hose, etc. I started to buy just the replacement valve that I needed and I was going to rent the crimper from the tool-crib for a couple of hours (Home Depot is only 5 minutes from the house), when my wife suggested that we BUY the crimper, some spare fittings, and even a short length of replacement hose that we can store on-board, so that if we ever have a water system failure while on the road, we can fix it.

So now I have a complete PEX repair kit on-board. The spare parts were inexpensive enough, but the crimping tool was almost $100! My water system leak is fixed, and everything is good! Of course, Livingston's book was once again, a great aid it telling me how to fix it.
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Re: I learned about PEX today!

Unread postby Zinger on Mon May 04, 2009 7:35 am

Had I know I would have let you use my crimper. But now you have one handy in the home also just solder on an adapter and go.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Mon May 04, 2009 8:05 pm

Hey, if the wife is going to suggest that I buy tools, I BUY TOOLS!!! Now I've got a complete repair kit, so if it's ever a problem for me again, or for anyone else I'm camping around, I can help out and fix it. Last that I did active commercial and residential construction inspection (1998), this stuff wasn't legal in the building code. I take it that it is today?
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Tue May 05, 2009 8:10 pm

like the cast to pvc change copper to pex met resistance there is a lot to know about it to use correctly different type for heat it has oxygen barrier the potable lines dont on a hw heater it is supposed to be 18" from heat use copper first 18" alot of other little quirks but labor is very minimal with 20' lengths or 50' rolls.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Tue May 05, 2009 8:13 pm

If you are supposed to be 18" from a water heater with copper, then change to PEX, how do the RV mfgrs come right off the water heater direct with the PEX?
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Thu May 07, 2009 9:14 pm

why do people go into burning buildings

A: Because they can