Skip to content

Change font size

Camping without your other half?

Have an amusing story of a recent RV adventure? Share it with other members here.

Camping without your other half?

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Fri May 23, 2008 4:20 pm

mountainman posted he was out alone without his wife, any one else do that?
Might be fun, I'll have to try it sometime.
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Re: Camping without your other half?

Unread postby wintek on Fri May 23, 2008 5:33 pm

The Wood Tinker wrote:Might be fun, I'll have to try it sometime.

MIGHT BE FUN????
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri May 23, 2008 8:19 pm

I've gone with friends for a specific purpose (like a week of golfing on Holiday Island). Lot cheaper than renting a condo.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mountainman on Sat May 24, 2008 8:09 am

I'm a bit more of an adventurer than my spouse and she allows me to do my own thing from time to time. Some people don't think throwing a backpack or daypack on and going for a 6-8 mile hike is fun. I can't imagine that but again maybe it's just the value I place on wanting to see what's around the next corner!
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Mon May 26, 2008 5:38 pm

The Wood Tinker wrote:mountainman posted he was out alone without his wife, any one else do that?
Might be fun, I'll have to try it sometime.

I was out alone last week. DW came down on Friday night, for the weekend. we just got home.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby mountainman on Mon May 26, 2008 6:40 pm

Limey, how was fishing and camping on Pubelo Res? Hope you had a nice time and hope you don't have to go back to work on Tuesday.
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Tue May 27, 2008 2:52 pm

mountainman wrote:Limey, how was fishing and camping on Pubelo Res? Hope you had a nice time and hope you don't have to go back to work on Tuesday.

Well, I'm back at work right now (lunchtime!). Bummer, eh!

Camping was good apart from the WIND. Never had so much wind down there before. Several days I just stayed in the 5er and read a book. I put the boat on the lake about 4 times in the 10 days, as most of the time it was too windy and the lake was rough. I particularly don't like launching and retrieving the boat when the wind is blowing hard - too stressful! Other than that the time away from work was what I appreciated the most. Lake Pueblo is at the highest level that I have ever seen it, and looking at the water line on the trees up the Arkansas I could see that it had been about 6 ft higher still in the last month.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ramblemutt on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:43 pm

While the wife and I take plenty of RV trips together, we also take separate trips on our own. The wife never takes the TT, but she takes her dog and camps out in a motel somewhere for 3-4 days. I sometimes take the TT and my dog, and take off for 3-4 days, other times no TT. Been doing it for awhile and finds it helps to preserve our sanity and our marriage. I take off like this about once a month, she less often. I'm hard to live with if my wanderlust doesn't have an outlet. Between grades 1 and 12 I attended 7 different schools in 4 different countries....and bounced around just as much as an adult. Suppose that has something to do with it. If I had one of those "visited states" maps, there would be no blank spots.
One wife, 3.1 dogs and no money....life is good
'01 Excursion Ltd, 7.3L PSD, '06 Prowler 260RLS

ramblemutt

Unread postby mountainman on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:54 am

ramblemutt wrote:While the wife and I take plenty of RV trips together, we also take separate trips on our own. The wife never takes the TT, but she takes her dog and camps out in a motel somewhere for 3-4 days. I sometimes take the TT and my dog, and take off for 3-4 days, other times no TT. Been doing it for awhile and finds it helps to preserve our sanity and our marriage. I take off like this about once a month, she less often. I'm hard to live with if my wanderlust doesn't have an outlet. Between grades 1 and 12 I attended 7 different schools in 4 different countries....and bounced around just as much as an adult. Suppose that has something to do with it. If I had one of those "visited states" maps, there would be no blank spots.

Sounds like a good plan to me!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby crazyaboutcampin on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:26 am

I go alone quite frequently. I am retired but my wife is still working. Between the Marines and LEO I was able to retire 6 years ago at 54. My wife is 7 years younger and has to work until 65 to get med ins. If she ever retires that is. She is a CPA and a workoholic. Loves her work and is not good at just relaxing. Sometimes I feel bad taking off camping and leaving her here to work. But she counters with "I did not have to fight the Viet Cong. I did not have to separate family fights or wrestle drunks for 28 years. Go, and have a good time." I sure do love this woman. :mrgreen:
S&S on a Dodge dually 4X4
crazyaboutcampin

Unread postby mountainman on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:14 pm

crazyaboutcampin wrote:I go alone quite frequently. I am retired but my wife is still working. Between the Marines and LEO I was able to retire 6 years ago at 54. My wife is 7 years younger and has to work until 65 to get med ins. If she ever retires that is. She is a CPA and a workoholic. Loves her work and is not good at just relaxing. Sometimes I feel bad taking off camping and leaving her here to work. But she counters with "I did not have to fight the Viet Cong. I did not have to separate family fights or wrestle drunks for 28 years. Go, and have a good time." I sure do love this woman. :mrgreen:

My question is, does she have a sister??
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby graywolf67 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:17 pm

I have done it a few times but I miss her too much.
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:07 pm

Since I am 66 and have been laid off work since April, and unable to find some thing to do I have started going out Thrusday and setting things up DW will come in Friday night or Saturday AM and join me and the dogs. She has to be back at work on Monday will leave Sunday Pm and I will either go then or wait until Monday
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby pwall on Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:35 pm

I often go camping with just my teen-age boys. Sometimes my wife comes with us, sometimes not.
I figure when the boys are old enough and don't camp much, I'll still go...... :)
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:27 pm

I want to do the winter camping thing again this year but the wife is not expressing much interest in a repeat in that...so I suspect it could be just me and a few hardy guy friends doing it this year. :-)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Frank Henn on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:13 am

Going on a long trip this summer with out DW. Mom and Dad are in their 90's, and have recently moved into an assited living in Montrose Colorado. As it stands now , myself and the pups are going to leave Jackson Mississppi the 1st of July and head out there I hope with put pressing too much to be there the 3rds of July, The ever lovely Janet will Join us for ten days the 10 th of July and fly back home and to work. The Pups and I will leave around the end of July. Planing on going from Durango to Delrois Rico and Ridgeway to Mpntrose. If I was 10 years younger I might have done the Million Dollar highway, but the part between Ironton Park and Ourat has me bothered the fifth wheel is 36 feet in length. Any body recomend a good park in Montrose???
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby parklandgroupohio on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:14 am

Now, here's a controversial topic right here!
Camping "without" your other half right?

This certainly raises a lot more questions that it answers. But camping with less people, let's just say is much more fun!! LOL...
parklandgroupohio

Unread postby Frank Henn on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:01 am

Some times you just need your own space, What a good use of the RV just hook up and go. No one to tell you it is time to eat or go to bed ahhhh :mrgreen:
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:12 pm

Well, next May (2011) I have already booked my traditionl trip to lake Pueblo by myself for a few days. DW comes down on the Memorial Day weekend. Love that alone time (well, me and the dogs!). :D
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby parklandgroupohio on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:42 am

Well I am glad so many here have been able to make it without their other halves. I know sometimes it can get a bit frustrating when you're out in the wilderness and it still sounds like the house.. LOL!
Me and the guys are planing another little trip on some private land from Acreage for sale, they do this a lit but it will be my first time on something like this. Hope I can post some great stories from this soon.
parklandgroupohio

Return to Trip Tales