Skip to content

Change font size

Another Trip along the Poudre River

Have an amusing story of a recent RV adventure? Share it with other members here.

Another Trip along the Poudre River

Unread postby mountainman on Fri May 23, 2008 3:54 pm

Seems I am the only one traveling these days. Maybe it is the gas prices but fortunately we are close to fine camping and can be in the heart of it within an hour from my home.
Spent Wednesday, Thursday and part of Friday on the Poudre River at Mountain Park via Hwy14 out of Ft Collins. I have a back road way of traveling from Loveland to the Poudre which eliminates Ft Collins and the curves in the early part of Hwy 14.
The weather was once again a factor to be considered but then again I was camping so who cares about the weather. In any case I did encounter heavy rains, hail and generally spring weather in the rockies. While this was going on where I was at, they were having tornadoes along the front range and specifically in Greeley and Windsor, Co which is a stones through from my home. I drove to a phone worried about my spouse as I was watching Satellite TV while the storms were going on and found that she was in the basement with the TV turned up so she could hear the weather reports. Fortunately it missed Loveland but did do considerable damage in Windsor, Co.
The Poudre is running very full and there were a lot of rocks on the road through the Narrows so it is treacherous traveling in the canyons. Very few in the campgrounds but most of the electric sites had been reserved for the upcoming holiday. Those who didn't have to work on Thursday were arriving and claiming the first come first serve sites.
Camping picture;
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Another Trip along the Poudre River

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Fri May 23, 2008 4:19 pm

Glad you and the family were safe! Have a great time. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri May 23, 2008 4:47 pm

Glad everything was OK at home. I love the Poudre River and Mountain View is nice but they REALLY need to get Internet access so you can reserve a site from the campground. I've almost given up staying there because even if you do find a vacant site you can't say any more than 3 days without danger of someone sitting at home reserving it right out from under you. Of course on a holiday weekend getting ANY site there would be next to impossible. We've had a little better luck a little further up the valley at Chambers Lake but of course no power up there. I bet there are a few of those roadside campgrounds along the river that were keeping a close eye on the water though :)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Fri May 23, 2008 8:54 pm

mountainman wrote:
The Poudre is running very full and there were a lot of rocks on the road through the Narrows so it is treacherous traveling in the canyons. ;

Pardon my ignorance BUT to where does the Poudre river flo,the Green or Colorado i hope!!!!!

['m trying to win a $8K houseboat vacation at lake Powell]
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri May 23, 2008 9:38 pm

I believe that the Poudre flows into the South Platte as it's on the Eastern side of the divide.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mountainman on Fri May 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Skip is correct the Poudre River headwaters begin at Poudre Lake on Milner Pass in the Rocky mountain Nat'l Park and flow on the east side of the Divide into the south Platte and on into the Mighty Mo. It is hurrying that way this time of year!
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Return to Trip Tales