Skip to content

Change font size

What a great long weekend.

Have an amusing story of a recent RV adventure? Share it with other members here.

What a great long weekend.

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Mon May 19, 2008 6:44 pm

Many years ago, someone in Canada thought that it was a good idea to celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday on May 24th. Whoever it was, we thank them profusely. Now its simply known as May Long and is always on the 3rd Monday in May, a week before the US Memorial Day long weekend. It's also, more or less, the official launch to camping season in Canada. Living where I do, the chances of having snow on May Long are actually pretty good, given our proximity to the mountains. Not even close this weekend.
Friday was very warm with temps in the mid to upper 20's (All temps in degrees C) so I managed to bug out of work early Friday afternoon at about 2:00 o'clock. Got home, tossed the last few necessities aboard, loaded up the kids and the dogs and hit the road shortly after 3. The CG was only 85 miles away and the long weekend traffic wasn't too heavy yet so we made good time and got completely set up by shortly after 5. It was quite warm and the beer was nice and cold so we enjoyed a couple of pops, made supper, ran around with the kids for a while, did a camp fire and didn't even look for a jacket.
Saturday was a carbon copy of Friday, but quite a bit warmer with temps hitting into the low 30's. We went swimming since the CG has an indoor pool, ran around some more, burned a few more logs, had some more wobbly pops and generally enjoyed ourselves immensely.
Sunday was cooler, but quite nice in the morning with the thermometer in the low 20's, but a few showers and one brief thunderstorm in the afternoon. It cooled things off a bit, but it helped keep the dust down. We still ate supper outside so it wasn't too bad, but I was grabbing a sweater and a windbreaker later and after 10 it got fairly cool.
Monday was much the same as Sunday without the rain. We spent all morning packing up (I'm always amazed by the fact that we can get completely unpacked in under an hour, but it takes 3 or 4 hours to pack it all away again. I guess its a motivational thing.) and headed for home.
All in all, it was one of the best May Long's that we've had in a long time and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, except for the drive home. I never like driving home since its back to the work thing the next day.
I'll try this picture thing sometime, but the photo sharing site that I was using has shut down. Can anyone recommend another one? I was using Sony Image Station. Free is good.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: What a great long weekend.

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Mon May 19, 2008 8:11 pm

Glad you had a good time. We had a "May Long" this weekend too. We went to our local lake (about 150miles away) the weather was great and there were very few campers this weekend. I feel the same way about the drive home.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Mon May 19, 2008 11:55 pm

Sounds like you had a good time. I left on Friday and will still be here, camping until next Monday. I'll do a report when I get home! :D
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue May 20, 2008 6:40 pm

Unfortunately ours was almost a total washout..typical May two-four weather around here.

I was one mouse-click away from dumping $90 on a two night reservation at a local provincial park, but the weather forecast made me back off. Glad I did.

Sounds like you had fun, though!
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby csham on Tue May 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Sounds like you had a great start to the season.

As for photo sharing...

http://www.google.com has a product called picasa that I like and have used quite a bit.
I've also used http://www.webshots.com

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
csham

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue May 20, 2008 8:10 pm

Mike in Calgary wrote:I'll try this picture thing sometime, but the photo sharing site that I was using has shut down. Can anyone recommend another one? I was using Sony Image Station. Free is good.

You don't need one for our forum - follow the link in my signature.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dalilu on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:25 am

http://www.shutterfly.com is a great photo sharing place. I have used it for a couple of years now because I lost lots of photos during a HD crash. I always backup my photos on shutterfly since.
dalilu

Return to Trip Tales