Skip to content

Change font size

First weekend in the new Fiver

Have an amusing story of a recent RV adventure? Share it with other members here.

First weekend in the new Fiver

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun May 11, 2008 8:12 pm

Well, it went off pretty well considering we took delivery on Thursday, and were camping less then 24 hours later. :-)

The hour drive to the park was childs play for the truck - pulls beautifully, finally smoothed out the 1-ton beast, and lots of power to spare. We arrived at about 6PM and were setup and cooking dinner about a half hour later.

Our site was right on the water and the kids were quick to discover that waterfront sites are allot of fun, but barely-above-freezing water is a bit harsh to play in this time of year.

Friday evening was great weather wise. I woke up Saturday morning, opened my window blinds beside my bed and was greeted with the sight of a Loon swimming on the glassy water about 10 feet off the shoreline of our site. I made a pot of coffee, cracked open the door (it was surprisingly warm) and the day started up. Bacon and Eggs for breakfast.

Friends arrived at the next site over at about noon. Unfortunately at about 1PM the wind picked up and it got pretty cool - not unexpected for a campsite right on Lake Ontario in May. We sparked up a fire and that helped, but by 10PM or so we were done as it was getting noticably colder in addition to the wind. The furnace got a good workout overnight.

This morning brought strong winds which made it rather unenjoyable right on the lakefront. We drove to a few hiking trails and it was beautiful in the woods, but back at the site it was inside-weather at that point.

Tore down camp at 2PM and were home a few hours later after a stop to show off the new rig to family.

All in all, we're pretty happy. We found a few kinks, though:

1/ TP roller in the bathroom is in a rotten spot. My knee bangs into it when you are, *ahem*, utilizing the facilities. That'll be easily fixed.

2/ Bathroom vent fan was missing a blade so it was terribly out of balance. It eventually completely blew up, flinging all it's blades off. Must replace.

3/ Pantry door likes to pop open on the road and gets caught behind the slide when opening. Must get something to close it (and a few other cupboard doors) closed securely while on the road.

4/ Hot water tank has no adjustment and seems to be coming on rather late when hot water is being used. Must look into the situation, and see if adjustment is even possible.

5/ Broke the cardinal rule and forgot to check the power cord reach before unhitching. I discovered my 25' trailer cord and 25' 30A extension was 4' short of what I needed. Ended up just using a 15A extension cord which did the job for the 3 days. No AC needed obviously, and 15A was enough. Mad at myself none the less. :-)

6/ My daughter fell out of her bunk bed (about 5'!) on night one at about 2AM. Banged up her face a little, but no broken bones and will heal up just fine.

7/ The awning was filthy inside when I rolled it out, but will clean up. Was too windy to leave it extended, though, and we really didn't need it anyways.

8/ Choosing a lakefront campsite in early May constituted questionable judgement. :D

9/ I really must invest in a new digital camera to replace our recently dead Cannon. My iPhone takes crappy pictures.

Some pics of the inaugural trip:
Attachments
IMG_0544.JPG
Yes, the bird comes camping too! This is just his small travel cage, his home aviary is too big to take camping.
IMG_0542.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0534.JPG
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First weekend in the new Fiver

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun May 11, 2008 9:17 pm

Sounds like a typical shake down trip with nothing very serious going wrong. Now you'll get to catch up on the TLC the previous owner had neglected. It's a nice looking rig and I'm sure you'll get lots of good use from it. All in all it sounds like a pretty good trip.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun May 11, 2008 9:40 pm

Yeah, it needs a good scrub down and (most importantly) wax... It's in great shape inside and out, but it hasn't seen a good wash and wax in a good number of years.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Mon May 12, 2008 12:09 am

Nice to get it out and shake out the bugs....at least you know where they are now. Good luck PP. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Tue May 13, 2008 3:37 pm

Sounds like a good report and that you made a good investment
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Tue May 13, 2008 4:07 pm

Sounds like a very sucessful trip.....no broken bones, thats a good thing. Would something like this help ?
http://www.target.com/Regalo-Hide-Away- ... ail&page=1
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Tue May 13, 2008 8:28 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:
8/ Choosing a lakefront campsite in early May constituted questionable judgement. :

But u can't beat the view.Does the cockatoo travel in the TV i 'm guessing?We have a grey that has not traveled yet.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Tue May 13, 2008 9:16 pm

I would imagine that would be a wonderful campsite in Augst.
Glad all went well In our old trailer I built bunk sideboards using prefinished white shelf boards and shelf brakets I slid the brakets under the mattress and screwed down then screwed the shelf to the upright they were cheap and worked well.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue May 13, 2008 10:12 pm

MCBOWERS wrote:
PrivatePilot wrote: But u can't beat the view.Does the cockatoo travel in the TV i 'm guessing?We have a grey that has not traveled yet.

Yes, we bought a cage (the one in the pic) specifically that fits between the kids in the back seat of the truck. He's still adjusting to traveling, but on the last weekend alone he was noticeably better on the trip home. He tends to be pretty mellow while actually camping.

Last fall we took him with us for a local trip and he seemed to quite enjoy it. He does attract lots of attention at the campsites, that's for sure.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue May 13, 2008 10:14 pm

ButteBumBob wrote:Sounds like a very sucessful trip.....no broken bones, thats a good thing. Would something like this help ?
http://www.target.com/Regalo-Hide-Away- ... ail&page=1

Believe it or not we have two of these from our last TT which also had bunks. With the bunks in the new 5er being laid out in such a fashion that 3/4 of each bed is actually enclosed on both sides we didn't think we'd need them, but instead of sleeping head-down on the enclosed end she slept in a ball on the open end. When she rolled over, it was an unfortunate result.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Trip Tales