Skip to content

Change font size

Why I love camping

Have an amusing story of a recent RV adventure? Share it with other members here.

Why I love camping

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue May 06, 2008 11:28 pm

In a post earlier I stated that I don't care what it costs or where I go, I'm going. Here is why.

I am by no means a fisherman extraordinaire…. In fact I don’t even care if I catch’em most of the time and when I do I throw them back, I fish for relaxation.

While on our last trip over the weekend I caught a few, went to a lake near by what we call our home base for local camping. A family was fishing near by and I knew real quick they didn’t know much about it.
The kids kept saying, “We want to have a fish dinner tonight dad!” The few I caught there I gave to them as I was leaving, at this lake you have to keep everything you catch and I usually find someone to give them too.

They thanked me and as I walked away one of the kids got a bite and reeled one in, he smiled and waved at me proudly showing me his catch. The sun was out, there was a nice breeze blowing and it was warm. I thought to myself as I walked back to my truck, ‘Now there’s a good days fishing.’

Went back to camp and sat around the campfire, a rare thing in California , and just enjoyed the rest of the night. The next morning I went down to the pond on the property and thought I would try my luck there, even though the lake is close by I wanted to stay at the campground, it’s beautiful this time of year with the trees all filled out with fresh leaves and with all the rain we have had this year the pines looked great too. A good amount of rain equals the rare campfire in California .

I caught a few Bluegills and right before I was packing up to head back to the campsite I saw a dog on the other shore of the pond, taking my eyes off my bobber for a second and when I look back my bobber is gone, I slowly reel in some line and felt the tug and set the hook. This fish took off going back and forth and headed for some reeds…..I feel nothing on the pole and reel in again….SNAG! Caught up in the reeds with a fish on!

I let it sit there for minute to see if the fish would swim out, felt one last tug as the tip of my pole bent, the bobber sunk down and popped right back up….it sat still in the water and all of a sudden it took off, I use a little swivel tied to the line to hook the bobber to keep it from sliding up and down and have about 18” of line below it, the trout really bite this set up and I assume my line broke where it was tied to the swivel, or did this mighty fish reach back around and bite through my line? ;)

So there I stood on the shore watching my bobber take off in the other direction and the first thing that came to mind was that scene in Jaws “He can’t go down…..not with a bobber on him” or I changed the line slightly and sure enough the bobber slowly pulled under by this mighty fish….he swam for about fifty feet and the bobber popped up, he somehow got off the hook and swam to freedom getting away with my juicy night-crawler. I reeled in my empty line paused for a second and looked around for a .38 or shark cage or scuba gear to throw in that pond and find “my” fish…. Walking back up the trail to my campsite, “I’m gonna need a bigger boat” played over and over in my head.

Happy trails 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Re: Why I love camping

Unread postby ReedMan on Thu May 08, 2008 8:38 am

Another "Fish Story"? Ha ha ha. I don't fish much but when I do it is to relax also. Sometimes, I thnk that the fist are smarter than we give them credit.

Good story.
ReedMan, Wife, 3 Kids
TT - 2002 Flagstaff 25LB (Triple Bunks!)
TV - 2001 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/3.73 Stepside
ReedMan

Re: Why I love camping

Unread postby crazyaboutcampin on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:40 am

GREAT story!!! I throw mine back too. Fishing is one of the best "relaxers" I've ever found. :mrgreen:
S&S on a Dodge dually 4X4
crazyaboutcampin

Return to Trip Tales