Skip to content

Change font size

Happy 4th of July…Wrong.

Have an amusing story of a recent RV adventure? Share it with other members here.

Happy 4th of July…Wrong.

Unread postby JBandMJ on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:56 am

This is going to be long because I want everyone to understand what we did to get ready for this long awaited trip.

We’ve been planning this 4th of July trip for month’s. We reserved the best spot at the lake four months ago for five day’s. Thursday- spent $300.00 having the motor home cleaned inside and out, spent half a day loading up enough stuff to last us seven day’s. Gave our two very large dogs a bath….that took two hours. Friday-spent two hours on the phone giving out instructions, two more hours shutting down the business & locking down the house and the other buildings, it’s 3:00 PM Friday everyone and everything is loaded and ready to go…the wife and I give each other a high five and were off….keep in mind our last vacation was over TEN years ago.

We arrive at around five and set up camp, three hours later it’s done and the excitement is building, we go to bed. Saturday 11:00 AM setting under the awning having a cold one with the wife, the dogs are tied up to the motor home steps, the radio is playing and life is good!!! 11:30 AM we hear all the neighbors behind us yelling and screaming, the wife gets up and walks to the front of the motor home and tells me everyone is running for cover….turn the radio off…..I turn it off and at the very second my wife say’s they are saying something and pointing toward us. My first thought was…this is a joke…ok have your fun, than the dogs start going crazy under the motor home so I drop to one knee and take a look, six feet and running towards me and the dogs was the biggest SKUNK I have ever seen. Before I had a chance to stand up it hosed me and the dogs, the dogs went for the kill and like a dummy my first thought was to bend down again and grab the dogs before they got the skunk WRONG move, the dogs and my dumb butt took another hit.

The skunk retreated but not before it let one last blast go on the other side of the motor home, we had all the windows and doors open and because of the wind back draft the motor home smells like skunk inside and out, I mean everything in side reeks of skunk . Saturday 12;30 we load up and head home, it’s 96 degrees out side and can’t run the A/C because of the smell, we make it home only to discover that the house A/C won’t work! Happy 4th of JULY
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Re: Happy 4th of July…Wrong.

Unread postby Terry on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:58 am

We had a Skunk walk in on us one night in the mountains. Didn't see him untill he was well inside the lantern light. We just got up slowely, and walked away. By the time we got back from our "walk". He was gone. Best not to scare them. Glad I don't camp with a dog.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:06 am

A holiday like that one just "stinks" (sorry). That has to fall into one of those categories of 'it was really bad news at the time but makes a great story now that it's over". We had a skunk get into our tent once in our old tenting days. One of the kids saw it enter while we were sitting around the campfire but of COURSE I didn't believe them when they told me. Went to look and walked into the tent and ducked out again before he let me have it. He didn't spray the tent and we were very careful not to disturb it again. The skunk hung around in the tent for 15 minutes or so (just long enough to eat a half a bag of potato chips) then it left. You could have used some of our good luck :D

You know I have a friend who tells a very similar story...that isn't you is it Buff?
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby JBandMJ on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:46 am

skipnchar wrote:A holiday like that one just "stinks" (sorry). That has to fall into one of those categories of 'it was really bad news at the time but makes a great story now that it's over". We had a skunk get into our tent once in our old tenting days. One of the kids saw it enter while we were sitting around the campfire but of COURSE I didn't believe them when they told me. Went to look and walked into the tent and ducked out again before he let me have it. He didn't spray the tent and we were very careful not to disturb it again. The skunk hung around in the tent for 15 minutes or so (just long enough to eat a half a bag of potato chips) then it left. You could have used some of our good luck :D

You know I have a friend who tells a very similar story...that isn't you is it Buff?

Yep…it’s me…you should have seen the look on leadm55 face right after it happened and I tried to give him a hug…priceless. :lol:
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Unread postby cwit on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:29 pm

Years ago we went to a campsite called Peters pond in Vermont. They warned us before we camped skunks all over the place. ,if you ate outdoors they ate with you. We never had a problem the weekend we were there :o :)
cwit

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:41 pm

While staying at Lake Summerville in Texas last year we'd been over at a friends 5th wheel for supper. Around 9:30 PM we were saying our goodnights and standing just outside their door when I felt something kind of crawling up my leg. I switched on my small mag light and saw a huge Raccoon standing up on his hind legs with front legs on my legs, sniffing around my front pockets. Being a diabetic I always carry a few mint candies in my pocket for low blood sugar moments. I put my hand in my pocket and flipped a mint onto the ground and he want for it and I backed away. Seemed like he was wanting candy or nuts and I chose to give up the candy :D He never seemed aggressive but you never know so I felt better once he was off of my leg. DW got a big bang of of it though.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:08 pm

skipnchar wrote:Seemed like he was wanting candy or nuts and I chose to give up the candy :D
DW got a big bang of of it though.

I take it that's why you kept the......

....better not. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby lifelongcampers on Mon May 05, 2008 11:57 pm

Fortunately we haven't ever run into one while camping. Unfortunately we have them around the house but so far the dog has left them alone.
lifelongcampers

Return to Trip Tales