Skip to content

Change font size

The Awning

Have an amusing story of a recent RV adventure? Share it with other members here.

The Awning

Unread postby bobnliz on Fri May 07, 2010 6:32 pm

We took our new (to us) TT to México on its' maiden voyage. It was our maiden voyage too and, well...the rig is 20 years old.
When the time came to put up the awning there wasn't an instruction booklet to be found anywhere. The park where we were staying was empty that afternoon except for us, so there was no one to ask either. And since the RV Park was put in as an afterthought by the hotel.... none of the employees knew any more than we did.
We thought we could figure it out ourselves; after all... how hard could it be?
After a good deal of fiddling around with the various poles and struts and such, it looked to us like we had done a pretty good job, so we retired to fix dinner and watch a movie. By then the wind was freshening and the storm clouds that had been gathering all afternoon were looking pretty spectacular.
About midnight, just as we were settling down to sleep, there was a great flapping and crashing from outside which catapulted us out of bed and out the door. "Oh Shoot!", this was not good.... The awning was whipping around like a panicky horse, the supports were waving in the wind. It wasn't tied down at all. It appeared that total destruction was imminent
Twenty minutes, a pinched finger and two frayed tempers later, the awning was rolled up and we were looking at each other over cups of tea at the galley table. Obviously that plan hadn't worked.
Next afternoon a class C pulled in a few spaces down. Bonnie and Gary were from Alberta and were stopping the night on their way down to Mazatlán. They had an awning just like ours. Bob asked about it, and of course, Gary came over and showed us just how it went together. Later, he came back and showed us how to take it down, and then, before they pulled out the next morning, Gary showed us again how to put it up.
Turned out that Gary had worked with the company that made the awnings for many years; we not only learned how to put the awning up and down, we learned a little awning trivia too, and the best way to take care of it. How lucky can you get? Lizzy
1990 Aljo Aly, 1995 Ford F150 PU
bobnliz

Re: The Awning

Unread postby pwall on Fri May 07, 2010 10:22 pm

Sounds like it turned out ok in the end. At least the awning was damaged.
I think we've all been there at one point, or at least I know I was at 3:00am one morning. ;)
Now I always tie the awning down regardless.

Have fun in Mexico!
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

I learned my lesson the hard way, too.... Now I always pitch the awning for run-off, I always put my awning bows an deflappers in to keep it good and tight, and I always put in awning straps /stake-downs. And on quick overnights, if I don't want to go to all that trouble, the awning gets rolled-up before retiring for the evening.
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby bobnliz on Sat May 08, 2010 9:39 am

Our biggest mistake was putting it up all wrong to start with. Take a close look at the accompanying photo; the cross braces, especially.Talk about unstable.... Lizzy :roll:
Attachments
Guaymas 012.jpg
bobnliz

Unread postby Limey on Sat May 08, 2010 2:37 pm

You sure were lucky to have that chap help you! We all learn from our experiences - luckily you didn't do any damage.

Always, always, always - take down the awning when going to bed! (and if you leave the campsite) :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby bobnliz on Sun May 09, 2010 10:22 am

You are right, Martyn. Talk about fortuitous happenstance!
We did leave the awning up at Totonaka, but only after observing that the folks who had been staying there for years were comfortable with that. The sites were quite sheltered. And, of course, it was put up properly.
When we stayed near Amato Az. we noted the opposite was true... nobody even put up their awnings. The message was pretty clear; we only put it up when we were sitting under it. Lizzy
Attachments
Guaymas 163.jpg
bobnliz

Return to Trip Tales