Skip to content

Change font size

Our Project

Share your photos with our membership, be them of your favorite campsite, a scenic shot, or just a favorite picture.

Our Project

Unread postby Spenfam on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Just wanted to share a couple of pictures of the results of Summer 2008 efforts. We were unable to find the exact Toy Hauler we thought we needed, so we bought a cargo trailer and a wrecked Toy Hauler, and a single axle highway tractor and a Western Hauler box for on it, and spent the summer converting. Now maybe everyone can see why we are having some difficulties with proper licensing, etc.
summer 08 006.jpg
This is the almost completed truck.
Truck and trailer.jpg
Truck and trailer

We have a couple of small details to finish up this Spring, then we hope to get away for a few weeks to see how it works.
Just thought we'd like to share these pictures ( I took lots of them at all stages so we would not be tempted to try this again! The first one turned out great, but was a little too small for our purposes, I don't think we'll have that problem with this one!)
Garry & Sharyn
Spenfam

Re: Our Project

Unread postby pwall on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:28 pm

That certainly is a nice 'toy hauler'. :)
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:47 pm

Interesting - thanks for posting pics!

To be honest with you, if I was in your boots, I'd be considering getting a full AZ license to drive that. You might be able to get off on some technicalities and be able to operate it on something less (probably ARZ or DZ possibly depending on weights), but I strongly suspect you are going to run into BIG issues or frustrations very quickly if you try that.

With a setup like that you are virtually going to be obligated to pass through scales no matter where you go - I assure you that if the lights are flashing and you drive on past you WILL find the MTO/DOT hot on your tail with the lights flashing as you look 100% like a commercial truck. Once that happens you have a whole barrel of hurt to deal with especially if you are trying to explain exceptions and "personal use" type stuff to an MTO officer who is probably not going to be very well informed, or understanding. You might end up having to fight wrongful charges in court which is not only frustrating, but costly, and time consuming.

Do you have your Z airbrake endorsement yet? You will need that for the tractor side of things.

Are you familiar with/comfortable shifting the non-syncronized transmission (a 9 speed I'd guess?) or do you need training? Are you familiar with everything needed to operate what is effectively a class 8 tractor?

Lots of questions when it comes to commercial equipment and I would NOT recommend trying to drive that on the road without some sort of formal training. A commercial truck is a whole different beast, and what you have there is a commercial truck.

Where are you located, perhaps I can recommend a training location, or if you are close, help you out myself.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Spenfam on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:57 pm

Well, Garry has had an AZ since the graduated system came in, and I had a BZ which I let go to a DZ a few years back. We used to haul hay to the Amish in Lancaster Pa., and horses back to Owen Sound , so we are both familiar with and have driven bigger trucks than this, but it is the cost of maintaining the AZ or ARZ after age 65 that gets prohibitive. That's the main reason we were trying to find a way around it. Believe it or not, that trailer was delivered to us last January from Brampton by a guy with a 3/4 ton Dodge pick-up!
Sharyn
Spenfam

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:16 pm

Az license for sure for that rig, and yearly inspection stickers too. Are you in Brampton area I am in Milton.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Spenfam wrote:Well, Garry has had an AZ since the graduated system came in, and I had a BZ which I let go to a DZ a few years back. We used to haul hay to the Amish in Lancaster Pa., and horses back to Owen Sound , so we are both familiar with and have driven bigger trucks than this, but it is the cost of maintaining the AZ or ARZ after age 65 that gets prohibitive. That's the main reason we were trying to find a way around it. Believe it or not, that trailer was delivered to us last January from Brampton by a guy with a 3/4 ton Dodge pick-up!
Sharyn

There's not really much cost involved after 65, just the annual medical and a road test, neither of which are very expensive.

Have you had it scaled yet? You are probably going to find that (after more thought on the matter) that even the DZ won't cut it because of the weight restrictions - it'll cover the tractor just fine, but the trailer is the question as the DZ is only good to 4600kg trailer weight. What's the GVWR on the trailer, and do you have plans on loading it heavy or not?

If the trailer is under 4600kg (10,100lbs) loaded weight then you're into A license range.

Here's the info on the AR license from the MTO website:

On April 24, 2008, the Ministry of Transportation announced the introduction of a new restrictive licence condition "R" for Class A drivers. This new licence restriction will be applied to drivers who pass a Class A road test using a smaller truck-trailer combination, such as a pick-up truck pulling a large recreational, horse, or utility trailer, and prohibit them from driving larger more complex tractor-trailers. This will ensure that only applicants who demonstrate their ability to safely drive a full-size tractor-trailer will be issued a full privilege Class A driver’s licence. A public education period will be in effect until June 16, 2008, the date the new rules become effective

The new restrictive licence condition "R" will be applied to all licence applicants who pass a Class A road test using a small vehicle configuration. Drivers with a restricted Class A licence condition will be prevented from operating:

* a motor vehicle pulling double trailers
* a motor vehicle pulling a trailer with air-brakes.

The way I'd interpret all that is that your DZ would cover the tractor just fine by itself so you are cool there, but probably not the trailer. The AR covers you for the tractor (ensure you have the Z endorsement) and will also cover the trailer weight.

As for pulling the trailer to you with a 3/4 ton, it's not surprising if it was unloaded, and even moderately loaded it's doable.. A 1-ton would be more suitable when it's loaded, but I doubt that it weighs that much that much more then that would be needed IMHO.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Photo Sharing