Skip to content

Change font size

Starting off on our first trip

Share your photos with our membership, be them of your favorite campsite, a scenic shot, or just a favorite picture.

Starting off on our first trip

Unread postby Mike and Rose on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:05 am

[attachment=0]MotorHome RV trip departure 008.JPG[/attachment
We rented a Class C to see if this type of RV would fit our needs before we take the plunge to purchase one of our own. Still not sure if we will go with a Class A or C. We had an awesome trip and loved the RV lifestyle. Our famly and friends who visited us along the way also had a time to remember. Everything functioned properly and I became a pro at "dumping", did not repeat Robin Williams scene in RV!!!!!!! Thank God!!!!! Living in a Floor plan is a real good way to see the pros and cons of the design. We kept a journal and recorded likes and dislikes, haves and must haves and what was not necessary. The originl floorplan that we liked at RV Shows, is now the one we like the least...good thing we did not impulse buy!!!! We already have a list of friends who want to join us on our next trip. Our pictures and tales sold them on the idea. The day I had to return the motorhome gas prices dropped from $4.39 to $3.75 !!!!! Can't win lol. But the trip was worth every penny. See you on the road again soon!
Attachments
MotorHome RV trip departure 008.JPG
Our rented home on wheels
Rig= Jayco Greyhawk 31SS New Ford 450 Cab.
Mike and Rose

Re: Starting off on our first trip

Unread postby catmom on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:55 pm

Glad it went well! Where did you go on the trip?

I can relate about the gas prices; they started to come down about a week after we got home from ours too. Such is life. :roll:
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:26 pm

Sounds like you had fun, and it's a great idea to rent before you dive in. The simple reality of discovering you didn't like the floor plan made the rental worth every penny.

Mike and Rose wrote:We already have a list of friends who want to join us on our next trip.

Be sure you *really* get along with someone before comitting to sharing an RV with them. Many a good friend has been lost this way. :D
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:49 am

PrivatePilot wrote:
Be sure you *really* get along with someone before comitting to sharing an RV with them. Many a good friend has been lost this way. :D

We OFTEN caravan with friends but would certainly second what PP says about RV Sharing.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:49 am

skipnchar wrote:
PrivatePilot wrote:

We OFTEN caravan with friends but would certainly second what PP says about RV Sharing.

Totally ditto. We camp a lot with 2 or three other couples in their trailers, but we won't share ours. As we always say - our trailer Seats 8, Feeds 4 and Sleeps 2. :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby wintek on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:54 pm

I’m just the opposite. Anyone is invited to join us camping, but I do have a few rules that make life easy.

I’m not your entertainment director or tour guide. You’re on you own. If you want to do what I am doing that’s just fine with me. Don’t get offended if I don’t want to do what you want to do. Just go do it yourself and have fun. You don’t have to help me set up, take down, cook or clean up. I’ll do it all. Just do what you want to do and I’ll do the same. Here’s your bed and here is where you can put your stuff. The rest is mine. Bring your own car. That way you can arrive when you want, go where you want and leave when you want. You’re welcome to whatever I have just don’t take the last drink of Crown. That’s mine.

After years of camping I developed and tweeked this system and it works out fine. No hard feelings, no unmet expectations. I always have someone asking when they can go camping with us. My answer is always here’s my next trip and here’s what we’ll be doing. You’re welcome to come along. I have a pretty good track record of having fun when I go camping. Mostly it's a state of mind.
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:45 pm

We used to houseboat very regularly, which in reality is very similar to RV'ing in that it's a confined area. Although we always had good luck (with the exception of one trip) with everyone getting along, disagreements occur, and it's tough to spend the remainder of a week with someone who you are really not getting along with.

I know of a few friends I would NOT want to spent any amount of time with in a confined area.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby wintek on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:02 am

Yes a house boat is a very different animal. Especially with couples! Your escapes are minimal and unless you have a 100% agreement on itinerary you get some level of hard feelings. There are only a few couples I know who I would even consider doing a house boat with. Of course there are probable fewer people who would want to be with me on a house boat! My previous post was aimed at camping as opposed to “Go RVing”. There is a big difference as the “Go RVing” would be akin to house boating.
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Return to Photo Sharing