Skip to content

Change font size

Thanks for the invite!

We are still a growing forum and your ideas are important to us - share your thoughts here. and if you need help with the forum or it's features, here's the place to ask.

Thanks for the invite!

Unread postby jp rver on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:30 am

Thanks so much for the invitation to visit your site! I am quite sure as that "other" site continues to experience trouble, you will get more traffic in here. I will be checking back on a regular basis to follow your progress. Good luck with everything and thanks again!

JP

AKA surveryorjp and jp rver
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Thanks for the invite!

Unread postby mikhen on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:27 pm

It's funny how we know what the "other" site is.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby Zinger on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Thi is great now all we need is mebers
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:29 am

Welcome, everyone. Yes, members are the hardest part for any startup website to attract.

I'm an ethical guy when it comes to advertising online so I will not resort to spam or anything of the sort to attract members, but I prefer word-of-mouth. If people find us an interesting place (which of course takes members to accomplish) then I think we can get things underway.

As I said in another thread, I think we have enough power behind things to support a fairly active membership in our growing stages. If things grow rapidly or even unexpectedly fast I have the ability to scale-up my hosting plan on fairly short notice to accomodate any growth that may occur.

Lets sit back and see what happens...and again, welcome!
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dalenoel on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:08 am

With growth comes knowledge and with knowledge, hopefully, comes responsibility, and with responsibility comes maturity.

Just what I didn't want to happen. Be Mature. :o
04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy Controller
Wife and I, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
dalenoel

Unread postby Zinger on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:33 pm

How is the site funded? thru advertisements or does that come after members is there a logo ?
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:39 pm

You mean you haven't gotten the bill yet? :roll: Just kidding of course but right now we're operating on our Administrator, PrivatePilot's dime and he would be the guy to answer that question best.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Zinger on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:44 pm

Would it be wrong to put this website in our signature on other sites to try to attract members
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:20 pm

I think I'd prefer to run it by PrivatePIlot and let him answer your question. I'm just a new guy here too.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Zinger on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:26 pm

i will hold off until I hear otherwise I dont want to start off with 2 left feet. i did get the link to this site from a post on RV.NET though.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:59 pm

Nice to see new members joining! :D
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:20 am

Zinger wrote:How is the site funded? thru advertisements or does that come after members is there a logo ?

I had spare server space and massive amounts of unused bandwidth on a server that I use for a variety of other websites and forum, so it was nothing really. The domain cost me $5.00 for the first year (coincidentally my host just posted a sale on domain names hours before I was to register it anyways) so at this point my "investment" is $5.00 total. :)

I have no plans to sell advertisements or anything of the sort at this point, and there's no company or anything behind the scenes with any sort of ownership or ulterior motives.

If, in the future, the board takes off in a big way and system performance becomes an issue (I don't, afterall, want it to become an unsatisfactory experience for members) then I will have to look at upgrading my hosting plan and the costs could go up a bit. I think that I have a method to defray that cost should it occur, so even then we'd probably still be ad free.

Why am I doing this?

Well, it's a bit of a long story. For those who remember BBS's, lets just say that I go back to that era so far as administering message boards go, and I also run a variety of other forums and such on the side. My server also hosts my blog, a few websites of my own, a few websites belonging to friends, and some other personal utilities. With space and capacity to spare, this is just another "Fun" venture for me that I can share with others.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:26 am

Zinger wrote:Would it be wrong to put this website in our signature on other sites to try to attract members

That's an ultra touchy subject indeed. It would do wonders to attract new members for sure, but at the same time I respect the fact that the administrators of other forums could possibly take issue with it.

I'll leave it up to everyone to make a decision on that, but I'd also ask that you comply with the rules of any other websites or forums that you should choose to do so on.

Personally I don't take issue with anyone advertising a website or other forum in their signatures here (so long as the signature is discreet and doesn't become obtrusive) so I'd hope that the operators of other forums would offer the same in return.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:41 am

Private Pilot, it looks like this thing is started to take off! I have never joined a forum this early on in its existance, and I must say to watch it come to life has been enjoyable! I did chuckle when I looked at the bottom of the page and it said I was the only member online currently, but before long this thing will have multiple members online 24/7. Congrats on your success so far and I look forward to what is in store for this little "project" of yours. :D
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Return to Suggestions & Forum Help