Skip to content

Change font size

abs light problem

We are still a growing forum and your ideas are important to us - share your thoughts here. and if you need help with the forum or it's features, here's the place to ask.

abs light problem

Unread postby linda on Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi, can anyone tell us a quick fix to shut off the abs light on the dashboard.We need it to go through an inspection.Everything has checked out good and safe but the light still keeps coming on. any suggestions. we have tried disconnecting the battery but it is still on ? ? ?
It is a 96 fleetwood toiga montara class c Hope to hear from someone,thanks
linda

Re: abs light problem

Unread postby pwall on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:51 am

You'll need an OBDII scanner to turn off the light, however, if it's coming on, it's most likely emissions related. And it'll just come back on anytime.
If you have a friend with a scanner they should be able to pull the code(s) to determine what is causing the issue.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Don't know of any quick fix. In an old Ford Explorer I had I just stuck black tape over it! :mrgreen:

ABS is to do with brakes, not emmisions - this something I found which may help explain things:

On vehicles equipped with antilock brakes (ABS), a second warning light is provided to warn if a problem occurs within the ABS system. The ABS lamp comes on when the ignition is turned on for a bulb check, then goes out after the engine starts. If the ABS warning light remains on or comes on while driving, it indicates a fault has occurred in the ABS system.

What happens next depends on the nature of the fault. On most applications, the ABS system disables itself if the ABS warning light comes on and remains on. This should have no effect on normal braking. Even so, ABS will NOT be available in an emergency situation or when braking on a wet or slick surface.

CAUTION: If the brake warning light also comes on and remains on while the ABS warning light it on, it signals a serious problem. Your vehicle may not be safe to drive. The brakes and ABS system should be inspected immediately to determine the nature of the problem!

If the ABS light comes on momentarily then goes out, the nature of the problem is usually minor and the ABS system usually remains fully operational. Some vehicle manufacturers call this kind of fault a "nonlatching" fault (meaning it isn't serious enough to disable the ABS system).

Regardless of the type of fault that occurred to trigger the ABS warning lamp, a special "code" is recorded in the ABS module's memory to aid in diagnosing the problem. On some vehicles this code can be retrieved by putting the ABS system into a special diagnostic mode. The code is then flashed out through the ABS warning lamp. The code number refers to a diagnostic chart in a service manual that must be followed to pinpoint the faulty component. On other applications, a special "scan tool" must be plugged into the vehicle's diagnostic connector to read out the fault code.

Diagnosing ABS problems requires a fair amount of knowledge and expertise (as well as special equipment in many applications), so this job is best left to a competent professional
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby pwall on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:28 pm

doh! I had 'check engine' light in my head.....sorry. :)
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby frank on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:54 am

A couple years ago I had the ABS light come on on my dashboard. So I went to my mechanic and he checked everything in evening seemed to be fine. He clean the centers on my wheels and everything seems he working fine now. I don't know for sure if this will be any help, but I hope so. And another thing. Make sure when you turn the ignition on. You wait for the light to go out before you start the truck if it is a diesel hope this is somehow
frank

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:00 pm

That which is in my owners manual dovetails with Limey's post.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Suggestions & Forum Help