Skip to content

Change font size

Storage Insurance on Canadian Vehicle in US

Discuss issues related specifically to RV'ing in Canada here.

Storage Insurance on Canadian Vehicle in US

Unread postby randys3591 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:36 pm

New to the forum so not sure how to search for a specific topic that may already exist.
I wish to store my RV in a gated secure site in Florida for six months and return later. The idea is to continue from the storage location and not cover the same ground.
My Canadian insurance company will not allow this...so how do I buy "peace of mind"?
randys3591

Re: Storage Insurance on Canadian Vehicle in US

Unread postby RonJK on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:06 pm

This article came from The Globe and Mail in regards to Canadian Snowbirds wanting to leave a vehicle in the US.

Can a Canadian car be left in the U.S.? You can use your vehicle in the U.S. for up to one year with Canadian licence plates and a Canadian driver's licence. To leave a Canadian-registered vehicle in the U.S. beyond one year, you'll need proper U.S. vehicle registration. Canadian automobile insurance is not applicable on a vehicle left in the U.S. on an ongoing basis, so you'll need separate coverage from a U.S.-based insurance broker.

What Snowbirds should know?

Hope this helps.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby randys3591 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:08 pm

RonJK wrote:This article came from The Globe and Mail in regards to Canadian Snowbirds wanting to leave a vehicle in the US.

Can a Canadian car be left in the U.S.? You can use your vehicle in the U.S. for up to one year with Canadian licence plates and a Canadian driver's licence. To leave a Canadian-registered vehicle in the U.S. beyond one year, you'll need proper U.S. vehicle registration. Canadian automobile insurance is not applicable on a vehicle left in the U.S. on an ongoing basis, so you'll need separate coverage from a U.S.-based insurance broker.

What Snowbirds should know?

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ron...very useful info. Would you know which insurance companies might insure a Canadian registered vehicle stored in the US for less than one year? I have tried unsuccessfully at finding a company that will do so.
RCS
randys3591

Unread postby RonJK on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:32 am

If the vehicle you are talking about is an RV you could try Good Sam

They have insurance for RV's, but I am not sure if they do autos.

You might have to register the vehicle in the states to get coverage.

Good Sam RV Insurance

Good luck.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby randys3591 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks again Ron. Have tried Good Sam and you are correct...need to register motorhome in US but, of course, do not have a home there...so it seems I am out-of-luck.
randys3591

Return to Canada