Skip to content

Change font size

help with family trip 3 weeks BC starting Vancouver general

Discuss issues related specifically to RV'ing in Canada here.

help with family trip 3 weeks BC starting Vancouver general

Unread postby andy2487 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 pm

HI all this is my first post so please go easy .
first of i am trying to sort a holiday / investigation in to Canada starting around Vancouver 3 week with a family of 4 two kids ages 4,7 .i have a lot of noob questions as this is are first time in RV's so sorry if my wording or understanding is way off.

1: Do i need to rent a car as well as a rv for getting around we are looking at a renting option a:Class C 28' RV Rental (MH-A Maxi) or a Class A 30 type but getting different info on driving lic so first off can i drive both types on a stranded uk driving licence.

2; are you able to take the RV in to towns to sight see and buy stuff or do you need to hire a car and tow it with you for getting around ?

planning on going in June 2017 i read that some road are not open and its the wet in BC at that time of year is that true?

more info am hoping to look at more of canada then just the standed sights want to go north from Vancouver and island then head east over rocky's to Calgary and back down to Vancouver this is a two part trip as we are in the process of apply for a visa so am trying to get a feel of a good place for family to live as well,
off topic does anyone have a view on what its like to live in nova Scotia it keeps getting bad press saying no work for young people in the 20 ies .

the problem with Canada is in compared to uk its vast and that makes trying to get a feel for it hard i love canada as a hole but am now in a pos to move there but first need to show it off to my family ;)
andy2487

Re: help with family trip 3 weeks BC starting Vancouver gene

Unread postby RonJK on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:52 am

Andy2487

Welcome to the forum.

You can drive any motor home in BC with a regular licence as long as it does not have air brakes.
We did a cross Canada trip in a 28' Class C years ago and for the whole trip we used the motor home for our site seeing.
Most towns and cities(Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary) have tours that you can take and then you can leave the RV in the park.
We did tours in Montreal and Quebec City as well as Niagria Falls. When we got to the maritimes we rented a car to tour with.

All the roads in BC are open in June and the weather is usually warm. It can rain but that depends what part of the province you are in. The Okanagan where we are from is semi desert and usually drier than most other areas of BC.

A must see when you are touring BC.

3 weeks will go really fast, especially if you are covering Vancouver island as well.

Hope you have a great trip.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby andy2487 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Thank you for the info on driving lic , we have now decided to go for 4 weeks and are looking at splitting the trip in 2 with 2 weeks in either the rockys/Calgary or Vancouver area then fly over to Halifax and spend the last two weeks RV around Nova Scotia. this way we get a good look at the possible places we like to try and move to go forward .

for us its a once in a life time trip as we felt the kids would benefit more from something like this than 2 week in Disney land i am sure the kids will not aggregate :lol:
andy2487

Unread postby andy2487 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Thank you to for youur help we have come up with a small problem .i am trying to find a RV with bunk-beds for my two little ones but am having trouble finding a dealer that will do that in Vancouver i think if i am right i am looking at the A class range but not hundred percent sure ? does anyone know of a reputable dealer who does them.

once again thanks to all for reading and advice given
andy2487

Unread postby RonJK on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:33 am

Here is a link to CanaDream Rentals.
Try them I am thinking they may be able to help you out.
Just tell them "Join Us For A Trip Down The RV Highway" recommended them.

CANADREAM

Hope you make out okay with this.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby andy2487 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:54 pm

all my hart gos out to all affected by the fires .we due to fly out in 10 day for what was to be a holiday of the life time but due to the fires iv been trying to cancel no surprise the hire conpanys and air line are not helping and saying the fire is not a reson to cancel so am very worried now we no longer have any campsites to stay at all are routes are in jeopardy due to fires was due to go to Vancouver then across the erstoke and jasper banff now not a clue what to do any one got any recommendations.

once again my empath to all affected by the fires. if we could cancel i would but it will costed thousands
andy2487

Unread postby RonJK on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Andy 2487
What is your plan for the BC part of your trip?
What highways are you looking at travelling? What areas did you want to spend time in?
There are a few areas that are affected at this time by forest fires, but in 10 days time that could all change.
BC is a huge province and in perspective the fires are affecting a small area of the total province.

One of the pleasures of a motorhome trip is that you can change and be flexible with your routes and schedules.

We can always give you a heads up on what areas you may have issues with.

Believe me there is some issues at this time, but as you say 10 days can make big changes as well.

Give me some idea of where you are planning on going and I will let you know what the situation is.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby andy2487 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:21 am

thanks Ronk

we have 3 weeks fligh in on the 29th july got 2 days in vancover hotel pick up motor home have book 3 days on Vancouver iland to give us some time to evaluate the situations as we pick up the motor home around 1pm on the monday in the city we lookkng for a site to stay over nigh near by or may be park at walmart if posible get ferry from horseshoes bay then 3 day at lake cowican as a base of operations. 

from here it gets hard the main reson was to see the wilf life and show of what canada has to offer my family as we hoping to move there .i wanted to go to whisler then over to revelstoke to see wolfs then up to banff workjng are way to calgery and on to drumheller to see dino museum my kids are nuts about then work are way over to jasper area before making are way back to Vancouver to drop of motor home in the 18th aug so far the rv parks at kamloop have told us there close and route over to revelstoke area is closed . we uses to driving rv's as we have a small by your standards motor home in the uk now pooring over maps to find out were we can go and stay and enjoy are holiday'

wifes going nuts and withreports of bad air conditions in Calgary in the news today are holiday of a lifetime is turning into one very stressfull event going to need a second holiday to get over it lol.

cheers andy 
andy2487

Unread postby RonJK on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:49 am

Andy

I sent you an email. Hope you get it.

The air quality changes form day to day as well as closures and fire activity. You should be able to go and see all the areas you have mentioned. Only change would be the Whistler leg. You can go up to Whistler from Vancouver, but you might have to come back down to Vancouver rather than go over Hwy 99 to Lytton.

But Hwy 3 through Manning park as I mentioned is a great trip as well.

Keep us posted as use the link to Drive BC it has great Highway information.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi Andy and welcome aboard.

I have to ask you about your background. I think you now live in the USA, but your use of English shows that your family have a non-English background. I'm curious.

I have lived in Ontario, Quebec, Maine, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland (24.5 years) and Prince Edward Island. I have traveled more in Atlantic Canada (NB, NS, PEI & NL). I am also a sea to sea person having done a fast cross-continent trip in 2015. 2nd the nod to Royal Tyrrell Museum.

For your trip to the eastern parts of the country, broaden it. Do at least all of The Maritimes (NS, NB, PEI) So, yes, I'd bet you can rent In Saint John, Fredericton, or Halifax.

If you rent in Halifax, head east to start with, at least a full day at the Fortress of Louisbourg (historical reconstruction), go up to the northern tip of Cape Breton Island on one coast and back down the other. Continue going west seeing places en route. Take Northumberland Ferries from NS to PEI*.

Beaches, PEI is famous for Beaches, check out fictional character, Anne of Green Gables, do hiking trails and historic sites such as Orwell Corner, Sir Andrew MacPhail Homestead, lots in Charlottetown, New Glasgow....... Sea trip outings also idea. Light houses esp. Point Prim Lighthouse and Cape Bear Lighthouse. Several Farmers Markets, esp. Charlottetown.

Then across the Confederation Bridge. (13 km). Acadian Village, Moncton, historic Fredericton, history Saint John (Saint John City Market maybe oldest farmer's market in Canada. Hartland Covered Bridge. St.Andrews, St. Stephen, Campobello Island, Grand Manan Islands (can take ferry between these Islands). Treaty with USA in that area made islands Canadian and mainland Maine. You can go through Lubec, ME to get to Campobello, You can either drive north and east through Fundy National Park, see the Tidal Bore or take ferry from Saint John to Digby.

Then hang a right and head down that coast to Annapolis Royal, Meteghan, Church Point, Yarmouth, then east.

There is more. Use http://www.google.ca to check out all places I've mentioned.

Yes, there is less industry in Nova Scotia, but when anywhere in The Maritimes, say nothing of those who talk it down. Better, to ask questions showing an interest about specific places......

* You only pay when you leave and bridge costs less.

:mrgreen:
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby andy2487 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:25 am

Hi i am from England but have Scottish background .we did look at the east cost when we first planed are holiday but as we are hoping to move to BC we decided to go there as a first look .Atm are dream of moving is at risk as the wifes a bit worryed about the amount of fires and heath risk to are small children i am hopfull that buy still going and showing that the fires are not a major problem i can bring the wife back on side but every day it gets near to are holiday i am less confided as we finding it verg hard to secure rv parks to stay and show off the amazing country that is canada iv put all my eggs in one basket on this trip and its beginningto feel like there getting scramble lol thanks to all who have helped with info .
andy2487

Unread postby RonJK on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:43 am

Andy

They are getting the fires under control and soon they will be allowing people back into their homes. That will free up some camping spaces. If you do the route I suggested you will have no problem.

Don't worry, you will have a great trip.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby andy2487 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:39 am

hi ron
thanks for your help .
been on the site drivebc very usfull good to hear things are getting better family cant wait to get there.

andy
andy2487

Return to Canada