Skip to content

Change font size

What is important for choosing a campground?

Discuss issues related specifically to RV'ing in Canada here.

What is important for choosing a campground?

Unread postby camper1 on Wed May 25, 2016 2:23 am

Hi everybody,

great forum! I hope you can help me.....

I am Peter from Austria. We are trying to move to Canada and buy a campground in Nova Scotia. We are now in negotiations with owners who want to retire and sell their campground. We are going to the numbers and I think, they have not enough bookings in comparison with the numbers of the industry I got from a tourism association.

We are experienced campers for a long time, travelled around 50 countries with our RV - but we are not Canadian or American. And maybe there is a difference in what we expect or like. And I find to try out what is important for American or Canadian campers/rv'rs.

How important is it for you to have access to a lake/river/ocean?
Do you like activities on the campground like local bands, dancing, gaming
How important is full hook up?

If you could ask a campground owner to transform his campground to a perfect campground what would you request?

Any help is welcome.....

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Peter
camper1

Re: What is important for choosing a campground?

Unread postby Little Kopit on Thu May 26, 2016 4:51 pm

1, Nature, nature, nature

2. Boundaries around my site that a dog can be taught. ie. I want you to bark when someone (human or critter) enters our site, but NOT when they walk down the road in front of our site or stop at the site next door. Trees are good boundaries, but ropes can be useful. Also, people should be able to stay off my site. I want them at least 15 feet from my front truck bumper.

3. Water to see and to enjoy can be very good. ie. throw stick for my retriever to fetch.

4. Some kind of toilet.

5. About once a week I want a shower and laundry.

I have a TC.

Do you know the phrase, The Maritimes? The Maritimes = Canada's New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and, Prince Edward Island. We entered Confederation in the 19th c. Newfoundland and Labrador joined Canada in 1949. You take NB, NS, & PEI and add NL, it's called Atlantic Canada. They who care most about that are those in Newfoundland and Labrador.

I have lived in NS and NL, but am now in PEI. If you pm me, I can tell you some past background. I'd rather not post 'what was' in public space because things change and I'm not sure how.

BTW, tell me the general area of this campground.

:)
LK
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby RonJK on Fri May 27, 2016 4:50 pm

What we look for in a campground or RV park is ease of access. We have a 36' Class A with a slide and we tow a car so we need a large enough site for both and ease to get into.
We look for full service and clean well maintained sites are important.
Activities in the park like a pool, hot tub, and of course as you said entertainment and dances are all good.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby camper1 on Sat May 28, 2016 4:57 am

Hi,

thank you for you comments.

Would it be okay for your if we offer honey wagon instead of sewer hook-up? We would offer one honey wagon service free a week....

Peter
camper1

Unread postby rvlifeclub on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:57 pm

In our experience we have found that it is very important to have some sort of body of water nearby like you mentioned, lake/river/ocean. These seem to be important to campers because it enhances their vacation and adds potential activities to their trip such as fishing, swimming, kayaking, boating, etc. I believe you will see better results if your site has access to a body of water.

Local bands is a great idea, some sort of music in the park type this can work very well.

Hope this helps!

-RVlife Club
http://rvlifeclub.com
rvlifeclub

Unread postby ToddandHeather on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:49 pm

camper1 wrote:Would it be okay for your if we offer honey wagon instead of sewer hook-up?

For those who enjoy State / National / Provincial parks, the lack of certain amenities would not present a bothersome situation. For those who reside mainly in higher end Resort / Destination parks, the lack of full hookups may represent (for them) a decision to camp elsewhere.

We've often stayed at places with No sewer and No Honey Wagon - some didn't even have a dump station. As another poster said, if your park sits on a body of water, is well maintained and is staffed by helpful and happy people, the public will be lined up at your entrance.
ToddandHeather

Unread postby EPDMLiquidRoofRV on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 am

In my experience these things are important for choosing a campground;
Ground Surface
Shade
What’s Above You
What’s Around You
Privacy

Thanks
EPDMLiquidRoofRV

Return to Canada