Skip to content

Change font size

Favorite RV Parks

Discuss issues related specifically to RV'ing in Canada here.

Favorite RV Parks

Unread postby RonJK on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 am

We are looking for help with your "Favorite RV Parks"

It is through your recommendations that we can add highly recommended parks to our site.

We have just added Williams Lake Stampede Campground to our British Columbia page.

Send us your favorite RV parks and we will send you Karen's 50 RV Friendly Recipe e-book for your time.

Favorite RV Parks - Form
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Favorite RV Parks

Unread postby Little Kopit on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:52 am

I lived in Newfoundland for 24.5 years. It's a great place for boondocking.

Since I lived on the West Coast and was only 1.5 hours from the closest Gros Morne National Park* sites, I visited there frequently. One very tight $ time I took a holiday on just $80.00.

My fav. cgs are here: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/nl/grosmo ... iv/camping Green Point and Trout River best for me. Green Point is the smallest of those places and is open all year. Usually I could pull in and pick a site, put $ in the pole.... Trout River is south of Bonne Bay and is a medium sized varied types of sites place. Berry Hill is the largest of those cgs. Driving around I found it town sized, which is not for me. I have a TC and can boondock.

As a national park, Gros Morne is recent and has many only geological sites on the planet. & it has villages within the park plus 2 discovery centers. Best national park I've ever visited. There are those who rave over Cabot Trail. Well, it could have been as good, but t'aint so. Gros Morne has at least 100x more than Cabot Trail --but maybe I should say I haven't tried to camp on Cabot Trail since 1995.

:mrgreen:
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby RonJK on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:07 am

Thanks for the favorite park.

We have added it to the Newfoundland page of our favorite RV parks page.....RV Parks - Newfoundland / Labrador

I could use a couple more if you have any experience with other parks in the province?
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:14 pm

I do but it has been awhile.

Trip through Labrador and down QC rte 389. I liked the one which I think was near Happy Valley - Goose Bay. I can't remember its name. It had a good layout and very helpful staff on duty at all times. I stayed a few days there. BTW Happy Valley is the civilian part and Goose Bay the military.

The town of Churchill Falls sends you off to company parking lot with plug ins. I toured Churchill Falls power plant and those at Manic V and Manic 2.

I was so so about the cg nearest to Labrador City. It was more suited to summer stayers with big rigs.

I boondocked in the parking lot of Manic power dam V, suggestion of Manic staff. All tours were en francais, they gave out English language papers to read later. I got lots of questions at Manic V and Manic 2 on how les francais would do touring Newfoundland. & of course, I referred to the period called The French Shore and how many francais live dans l'isle Newfoundland.

Labrador is good for boondocking.

St. Anthony, L'Anse aux Meadows cg is within walking distance of the world heritage site. I hung out at the site taking my dogs with me. One teacher enjoyed my patter of "slow, go slow, slow, no running on the stairs" I later did a special tour of that site with the granddaughter of he who took the Norse archaeologists to it.

There's a new site in southern NL under excavation and development. Look for a site there. I retired and moved away in 2008, but it just makes sense that there have to be more cgs near Port aux Basques than before.

Burgeo. Really nice place. Good for renting a canoe. Didn't trust my canoeing skills with dogs aboard.

For those who like to explore logging roads, those in NL are good. More maps would be desirable. During my circumnavigation of Red Indian Lake I started east down on nice gravel stretch with few signs. I came to "next gasoline supply 75 km" and turned around. This connects with roads both to Burgeo and to Stephenville.

New Brunswick. The year I got the TC, I headed down to Maine for personal visit and came back via yarn plants Briggs and Stratton. It was late October and I asked for help in finding a cg. They called around and found an open one just outside Fredericton. It was open because there were those who had jobs in that city, but resided elsewhere. The had their MHs in long term agreements with the cg. Again, don't know the name, but you know how nice it is to have help like that.

Do the islands off the Maine Coast. Grand Manan. I did provincial park. well spread out. When driving to town for stuff, I saw a sign "The Bakery" and a crowd of cars. I took the hint. Be there before 10 park and get in line for the store to open. Campobello. Several Campgrounds. Did the Roosevelt cottage. Like NL towns college student summer guides who really know their community better than the 'professional guide'. She lacked the community knowledge.

Nova Scotia
Did I mention Whycocomagh, love the cg. Love store Farmers Daughter. Google it for some very special stuff. Also reasonable driving distance from ferry in N. Sydney.

Meat Cove plain and open cg. Did not like those on Cabot Trail. It relys on scenery, not service. I only went their once. Reason, well I'd lived in NL by that time. Gros Morne is too nice by comparison. & that is being tame.

Five Island middle eastern part of NS. Nice layout. My site directly on lake.

PEI Brudenell, eastern, ?? Mills Western. Liked both, been awhile.

Ok, brain running low on memories.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Canada