Skip to content

Change font size

questions regarding buying older class c

Discuss Class C motorhomes here.

questions regarding buying older class c

Unread postby gouthro on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Hello,
I am looking at buying an older motorhome. I kno iw the current owner and know that he has kept it up well and recently fixed the fridge, put on four new tires, a new awning etc.

It is a 28 foot Ford Rally jamboree. The Year is 1988 Low mileage. The cost is about $8200. I am interested in buying it.

But, I don't know how to check the value. I see prices ranging all over the spectrum. Also, I don't mind paying that price, --i imagine it is in the ball park--if i use it for a period of time. But, I notice that they don't seem to sell very quickly ( perhaps it is because it is autumn, i don't know) and i would hate to get stuck with it, if I didn't like it.

It is located near Ottawa Ontario
I would appreciate any comments
thanks G
gouthro

Re: questions regarding buying older class c

Unread postby Limey on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Take a look here :http://www.motorhomefinds.com/fleetwood-jamboree-motorhomes-for-sale

There are some 1988 models there ranging from around $2500 up to $5000
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby gouthro on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks Martyn,

Makes you wonder. I never would have imagined that you could buy something like this for so little. The one that I am looking at certainly has the advantage that I know the people, the engine has just been rebuilt, refrigerator rebuilt, new roof etc. These things needed to be rebuilt not because of lack of care. A mechanic made a mistake with the engine and it had to be rebuilt--hit a bridge for the roof, etc. Tough to know what to do
g
gouthro

Unread postby frank on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:40 am

Welcome to the forum. :D
frank

Unread postby gouthro on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:40 am

Take a look here :http://www.motorhomefinds.com/fleetwood-jamboree-motorhomes-for-sale

There are some 1988 models there ranging from around $2500 up to $5000

Thanks for this research Martyn, it is invaluable and I wouldn<t have been able t find it myself. But, when I look at prices for this model in my area, Quebec and Eastern Ontario, they all seem to be from $6000 and up. There isn<t much on craiglist here but you find them on Kijjiji. I find it very difficult to come up with a reasonable price, given this disparity between what you post and what I find listed around here.
G
gouthro

Unread postby mikhen on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:17 pm

I'd have to ask myself, why was the engine rebuilt with "low miles"? The other major factor is water damage. Is the roof ok?
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby gouthro on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:30 pm

Good question regarding the need to rebuild an engine with low mileage. It seems that when they had the engine fixed a couple of years ago, the mechanic lost one of the screws. He was surprised to find that it had been sucked into the manifold or something similar and into the engine. The couple were making their way to Florida for the winter and boom--it all went wonky.

But, in the end, I don<t think this is the item for me, anyway. I am really mostly planning on leaving the trailer in one place. therefore, I think I should be looking at a pull behind trailer or a fifth wheel. which, in fact, is what I am now doing.

I don<t know if this is the right thread for this but maybe you felllows know--when I am searching I am using a NADA pricelist kind of thing, which gives the average sale price for the particular model I am searching.

But, i notice that the prices that I actually see the units on sale in the ads for are usually quite a bit higher. Is that because Canadian used trailer prices are higher than U.S.? And if that is so, it raises the intriquing question of whether it would be worthwhile to cross the border ( only an hour away in my case) and buy there?

thanks G
gouthro

Unread postby pwall on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:04 pm

I would think like most things, items are less expensive in the US. Just the way it is.
I have not experience in purchasing a RV south of the boarder then bringing it back home; so I can't offer you any relative experience.
However, do your homework....but the time you add in taxes you may have to pay back home, duty at the boarder etc, it may not be as cheap as it looks.

Hopefully someone here has done this before and will comment.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Class C