Skip to content

Change font size

TRANSMISSION TOW HAUL FEATURE ON 2016 F53 CHASSIS DEFECTIVE

Discuss class A coaches and motorhomes here.

TRANSMISSION TOW HAUL FEATURE ON 2016 F53 CHASSIS DEFECTIVE

Unread postby hfbundy on Sat May 21, 2016 2:02 pm

This is a serious safety defect which appears to be inherent to all 2016 Ford F53 chassis with 16,000# and 18,000# ratings. This defect is discussed extensively under several threads on the irv2.com forum. Ford is refusing to address this issue. Specifically page 33 of the owner's manual states in part: [i]The tow haul feature Provides engine braking in all forward gears, which will slow your vehicle and assist you in controlling your vehicle when descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, may downshift the transmission, slow your vehicle and control your vehicle speed when descending a hill, without pressing the accelerator pedal.....[i]

My experience and that of many other owners of motorhomes having the 2016 Ford F53 chassis with the 6 speed transmission is that they perform none of these functions. We have filed numerous complaints with the Ford Customer Relationship Center and NHTSA without obtaining any positive responses.
hfbundy

Re: TRANSMISSION TOW HAUL FEATURE ON 2016 F53 CHASSIS DEFECT

Unread postby Arjay on Sat May 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Thank you for this information. I am currently considering the purchase of a 2016 class A Winnebago on the #18000 chassis. I will be postponing my purchase until a satisfactory fix has been found for this problem.
Please keep us posted on this!
Arjay

Unread postby hfbundy on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:45 pm

The following is the first positive input we have had on this issue in a long time:

Guys, I have not read only but a few post but it does appear the issues are no downshifting when in tow/haul mode down grades. This is currently under investigation. How long it will take is unknown but if it is a simple program which it likely is I would expect an answer in a few months. Anytime there is a calibration changes it may need to go through the certification process for emissions.

Jun 14 2016 3243 - 2016-2017 F-53/F-59 - 6.8L Engine With GVWR 14,001 lb and through 19,500 lb - No transmission downshift on downhill In Tow Haul Mode
Some 2016-2017 F-53 Motorhome Chassis and F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis vehicles equipped with a 6.8L engine and a GVWR of 14,001 lb through 19,500 lb (4th digit of VIN is 4 or 5) may not downshift when going downhill when in Tow-Haul mode. Engineering is aware of this condition and is investigating. No repairs should be attempted at this time. Monitor OASIS for future updates.
hfbundy

Unread postby hfbundy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:31 pm

After a year of frustration and two software upgrade attempts, the tow haul feature on the transmission of my 2016 Ford F53 finally works as described in the owner's manual. The dealer performing the successful upgrade was Diehl Ford in Bellingham, WA. It was performed in accordance with Ford TSB 2016-106. I have several observations related to this issue. Notwithstanding two written complaints filed by myself, Winnebago showed no interest in this issue. Ford tried to ignore the issue and hoped it would go away. All of the chatter on the irv2 forum made it very difficult for Ford to continue ignoring/denying the problem. However, I believe the turning point was when several of us filed NHTSA complaints. Development of the fix was accelerated when I caught the attention of the F53/F59 division manager. It only took a few weeks for the TSB to be issued after he became involved. The only assistance I received from Ford customer assistance was finding a dealer who would work on a motorhome. I never found anybody at Ford other than the above manager who would discuss the problem with me. I called them customer resistance. I noted that other than the above manager, nobody at Ford would put anything in writing. I never received a final response from Ford to my written complaint. Karl called me in April and essentially said that he knew nothing, but he would try to find out and let me know. The followup communication never occurred. Finally, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of 2016/2017 F53 owners who either do not know the transmission tow haul feature on their motorhome does not work, or they do not care. I do not want to cross paths with any of these owners when driving the mountains in the west.
hfbundy

Unread postby Limey on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:37 pm

Glad you eventually got it resolved. :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Class A Coaches