Skip to content

Change font size

Jayco Motorhome+Ford E450 Review

Discuss class A coaches and motorhomes here.

Jayco Motorhome+Ford E450 Review

Unread postby jncrowe12 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:39 am

I have a jayco motorhome on a Ford E450 chassis, original. Tires Michelin 225/75 with load factor E. max load of the tires is 9880lbs, my actual rear axle weight 9270 (static and motorhome empty with no water, fuel tank 1/3 full) according to Michelin that is asking for tire failure ( had 2 already) because the dynamic loads (going down the street, bumps - uphill - downhill- sideloads) will be over the tire limit. That's the reason the law requires pass, cars and light trucks to have a 16% reserve capacity; mine is down to about 2%. with full fuel and water tank, little bit of staff loaded for vacation or putting anything on the trailer hitch (boat or even loaded bike rack) I am overweight for the existing tires and max rear axle weight I know that is not an issue Ford has to deal but jayco.but I would very much appreciate your expertise about what to do (is that motorhome a risk to drive, maybe unsafe?) is there any means to increase the max rear axle weight on that E450 chassis? any way I could put on a different tire size (enough room on the rim / wheel-well;that would increase the max tire load about 1000lbs - but is that legal and doable, especially. With the dual tires. I am looking forward to your answer.Ford-E-450+jayco motorhome 2012.
jncrowe12

Re: Jayco Motorhome+Ford E450 Review

Unread postby malexander on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:39 am

I wish this site was more active, but......
I know we're in the class A subforum but I'll answer briefly about my 1997 class C Jayco on the Ford E450 chassis.

I had a 1997 class C Jayco (33dbb IIRC), We really liked it. As far as weight and distribution goes, I really didn't know much about it. I actually just loaded the MH up for my trip & went. Never giving much thought about weight & tires.
I did have a lot of trouble with tires on a trip to Branson, but I'm convinced now, after lots of reading on the forums, they had aged out rather than worn out.

I wouldn't overthink it too much if it were me. :) YMMV
malexander

Re: Jayco Motorhome+Ford E450 Review

Unread postby RonJK on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Sometimes we worry too much....
We have had three motor homes, one Class C and two Class A's and have not worried about ratings.

We have travelled 100's of thousands of event free miles without sweating the small stuff.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Class A Coaches