Skip to content

Change font size

The down side of owning a class A

Discuss class A coaches and motorhomes here.

The down side of owning a class A

Unread postby JBandMJ on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:01 am

We were planning our spring camping trips and learned that two of the bridges we have to cross have a new weight limit of 10 tons, we weigh in at 26,800 loaded. After talking to a few other class A owners, they have experienced the same problems…
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Re: The down side of owning a class A

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:52 pm

I'll bet that WOULD be a problem with that much weight. Any way around it to get to your site? Ever try helium in the tires? :D
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:53 pm

Have you considered the length of the bridges? Many small rural bridges that have really low weight limits are short enough that one axle may clear the bridge before the other rolls onto it.

So long as there's no more then 20,000#'s on the bridge all one time, your quite legal to cross it no matter what your gross weight.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:45 pm

drive fast and hope for the best. (just kidding) that seems like a real problem after you finally work into a Class A more problems arise. I think the short bridge thing is a good idea what is your wheelbase?
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby JBandMJ on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:37 am

skipnchar wrote:I'll bet that WOULD be a problem with that much weight. Any way around it to get to your site? Ever try helium in the tires? :D

OH Brother…..10,000 comedians are out of work….and your trying too be funny…shezzzzz! :lol: :lol:
The only other way in is a three mile long dirt road with low hanging trees….not going to happen.
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
JBandMJ

Unread postby JBandMJ on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:51 am

Zinger wrote:drive fast and hope for the best. (just kidding) that seems like a real problem after you finally work into a Class A more problems arise. I think the short bridge thing is a good idea what is your wheelbase?

I tried to sell that idea to my DW….I still cant remember what happed after that….. :roll:
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
JBandMJ

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:18 pm

JBandMJ wrote:
Zinger wrote:drive fast and hope for the best. (just kidding) that seems like a real problem after you finally work into a Class A more problems arise. I think the short bridge thing is a good idea what is your wheelbase?

I tried to sell that idea to my DW….I still cant remember what happed after that….. :roll:

Tell her to close her eyes and hold her breath she might like that one!
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby sneakersjay on Thu May 29, 2008 11:32 am

That happened to me just recently and only a few towns over from home. My daughter took some classes at a homeschool coop and they had their end of year picnic. So we decided to take the RV (potential rain, get it out from under some trees dropping seeds, etc). We go up this narrow road and suddenly there's a narrow old bridge with a 10 ton limit. And NOWHERE to turn around. did I mention we were at a 45 degree angle up a hill????

Well, the RV supposedly weighs 20000 empty, and we had not much gas, very little water, and we weren't loaded up for a trip, so...I closed my eyes and punched it! I'm still here...

On the way back I decided go to around, not wanting to risk it again. By then it was pouring rain and we got thoroughly and totally lost (why I have no idea) and ended up -- you guessed it -- facing that same bridge.

Don't they have some built in fudge factor into the weight limit??
Jay

2 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat

Fleetwood Bounder
sneakersjay

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:20 pm

sneakersjay wrote:That happened to me just recently and only a few towns over from home. My daughter took some classes at a homeschool coop and they had their end of year picnic. So we decided to take the RV (potential rain, get it out from under some trees dropping seeds, etc). We go up this narrow road and suddenly there's a narrow old bridge with a 10 ton limit. And NOWHERE to turn around. did I mention we were at a 45 degree angle up a hill????

Well, the RV supposedly weighs 20000 empty, and we had not much gas, very little water, and we weren't loaded up for a trip, so...I closed my eyes and punched it! I'm still here...

On the way back I decided go to around, not wanting to risk it again. By then it was pouring rain and we got thoroughly and totally lost (why I have no idea) and ended up -- you guessed it -- facing that same bridge.

Don't they have some built in fudge factor into the weight limit??

I would think the biggest problem is if you damage the bridge you would be liable for the repair that could definatly ruin your trip.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Ozimo on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Damaging the bridge would be the least of your problems :o
Capt. Abraham Quasuittuq
FV Ozimo III- Amsterdam
MV Aleutian Princess - Galapagos