Skip to content

Change font size

Triotn V10 tuning

Discuss class A coaches and motorhomes here.

Triotn V10 tuning

Unread postby silverfox on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Has anyone used the SCT tuner from 5 Star Tuning to increase gas mileage on a Class A RV and what was your results?
silverfox

Re: Triotn V10 tuning

Unread postby pwall on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:31 pm

I haven't, but I have run tunes in my previous Suburban.
Just be careful, if your RV drivetrain is still under warranty, you may void the warranty if they find out that it's been tuned.
And tuning can be subjection.....some will say they notice a huge difference, others with the same vehicle will say the complete opposite. Not trying to be negative, just putting it out there.

Depending on the cost, if it saves you 1mpg, in a RV, that could result in larger savings at the pump over the course of a camping season.

Welcome btw! :)
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby silverfox on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:05 pm

I used their program. It essentially just lowered all the shift points so the trans doesn't downshift until the pedal is on the floor. So far it hasn't made much of a difference (0.5mpg) on a 34' Coachman.
silverfox

Unread postby frank on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:23 pm

It sure doesn't sound like a big deal for Silverfox
frank

Unread postby bruce1946 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:05 pm

Several years ago while at a camping world rally in Atlanta I attended a seminar by 5 star tuning. I bought their tuner and simply re tuned my 2006 class A 31' on a ford f53 chassis that was built in late 2004. On the way to the rally from Florida every overpass we went over while in cruise it would downshift which became quite annoying so it remained off. Now the trip back while in cruise we just went steadily up up and over only loosing maybe 1mph. I could really feel the advertised improvement of the 30hp and 30fp of torque gain. My year engine was designed to run on 100% fuel back then not the present 10% ethanol so that was also considered in the tune. I was more than happy with the money spent for the performance improvement and the slight mpg improvement was icing on the cake. 5 Start tuning also recommend that if I had which i did to do an exhaust modification. My exhaust pipe right after the header on the right side made this crazy U turn. I went to a local muffler shop and they had seen this before and for $150 they took the U turn out and made a straight path, another bump in noticable performance and mpg.
I'm now in the process of upgrading to a newer, bigger and nicer coach. A call to 5 Star to see if the tuner i used to program my coach could be used on the new one, still a Ford F53 chassis. Yes I could and all I had to do was bring it back to its original factory tune and they would provide me with the correct tune for my new to me coach. good to know my initial cost could be carried over. Even if it wasn't I would buy it again. GREAT product!!
bruce1946

Unread postby bruce1946 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:07 pm

pwall wrote:I haven't, but I have run tunes in my previous Suburban.
Just be careful, if your RV drivetrain is still under warranty, you may void the warranty if they find out that it's been tuned.
And tuning can be subjection.....some will say they notice a huge difference, others with the same vehicle will say the complete opposite. Not trying to be negative, just putting it out there.

Depending on the cost, if it saves you 1mpg, in a RV, that could result in larger savings at the pump over the course of a camping season.

Welcome btw! :)

As per 5 star tuning instructions they always state to bring the vehicle back to factory tune before any service. The factory tune is always kept in the tuner.
bruce1946

Return to Class A Coaches