Skip to content

Change font size

Fuel, miss firing, poor performance

Discuss class A coaches and motorhomes here.

Fuel, miss firing, poor performance

Unread postby Gonzok34 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:06 pm

I recently replaced my 1990 Flair with a newer 2002 Fleetwood Bounder on the Workhorse Chassis, GMC 8.1L, V8. with Gale Banks performance package, ram air and header exhaust. It's 32 ft in length, meets are needs and has excellent power and fuel economy. I've had it one year now and recently experienced performance problems while returning from a 3,000 mile round trip vacation.
The Problem:
engine running rough, stalling, misfiring. hesitating while going up steep mountain grades. I had an approved Workhorse Service Mechanic perform road test and diagnostic checks. The results indicated that everything was OK. The next trip was 600 miles round trip. Everything was find until the last steep grade to my home and I experienced poor performance again.
During the past week I have replaced spark plugs, ignition wires, changed oil and installed a new oil filter, replaced transmission fluid and filter, and replaced the fuel filter. Also added Sta-bil fuel additive to gas tank.
Conclusion:
Based on the age and low mileage (25,780) of my new RV, I'm assuming that it wasn't driven allot and that moisture and dirty fuel was a problem. It has a 75 gallon gas tank. More than likely when going up a steep grade with less than half a tank of gas it maybe suffering fuel starvation. But the tank is pressurized and shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone experienced this problem. If so, your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Bob Gonzales
Gonzok34

Re: Fuel, miss firing, poor performance

Unread postby pwall on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi Bob.

Welcome to RV-Forums.org!

Are there any codes set in the computer than can be scanned with an OBDII scanner ?
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ejdixon on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:17 am

It could be one of two things: First, your suspicion about the fuel can be what's causing it. Dirty fuel and clogged up hoses can starve the engine with fuel, which can cause it to misfire. The second is that there might be some problems with the sensors. I have a friend who experienced the same thing. Brought it to a Chevy dealer and found out that the water temperature sensor readings were wrong and was sending it to the computer box which can cause it to dump extra fuel in the engine, flooding it and causing it to choke and misfire. I'd suggest to take it to a reliable service center and have it checked.
ejdixon

Unread postby frank on Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:06 am

Welcome to RV-Forums
frank

Return to Class A Coaches