Skip to content

Change font size

Driving Class A in the wind

Discuss class A coaches and motorhomes here.

Driving Class A in the wind

Unread postby danwb46 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:17 pm

So I quickly look through the existing post and did not see any info regarding my problem.....
I have a 2003 35' class A Dolphin (national RV) when I drive with a strong cross wind the coach leans over, feels like alot. I have been looking through the Camping World catalogue and they have three (3) apparent solutions.... new shocks, anti-sway bars and something call Saf-t-steer which looks like a shoch absorber that installs in the steering system.
I am wondering what is the best solution..... Anyone have a similar problem? Ideas?
Thanks
danwb46

Re: Driving Class A in the wind

Unread postby rvgringo on Tue May 04, 2010 1:07 pm

I'm not familiar with your rig, or the manufacturer, but can suggest that the chassis makes all the difference in the world. Some are not quite up to the job, especially if heavily loaded, and will not handle well. This tends to be true of the 'less expensive' models and with gasoline powered rigs. Before you spend a lot of money on 'fixes' which might not do the trick, you might want to consider test driving other models and consider a trade to one that handles better and offers more 'bells and whistles' of real value.
rvgringo

Unread postby azloafer on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:02 am

I have added Safe-T-Steer and Motion Control Units to my coach, although these add-ons help for some things, there is nothing that will work a miracle driving in wind. I avoid driving on windy days because I do not believe it is safe or necessary. That large box on wheels is just not made to fight the wind. Wind gusts can be especially dangerous. Joe
azloafer

Unread postby bert64 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:01 am

What frame do you have ie: workhorse, ford..

Mine feels the same, had my wife follow me on day, didn't look as bad as it felt. How ever it was " dog tracking "
Adding a rear track bar soon. From what I've been told that will fix the the problem.

Only happens on heavy wind days and we try to avoid traveling on those days anyway.

2001 Winnebago Brave 32'
1999 Jeep TJ- Toad
YL285 Zodiac w/4 h.p Mercury
Me, Da-Wife, Da-Kids and a dog.
bert64

Return to Class A Coaches