Skip to content

Change font size

Fleetwood or Condor??

Discuss class A coaches and motorhomes here.

Fleetwood or Condor??

Unread postby Newbie on Fri May 29, 2009 8:51 am

Hi all
My husband and I are new to the RV world. We've recently decided that we're going to up and travel for approx. 4 weeks. In order to do this, we obviously need to purchase an RV. Two we are looking at are a Fleetwood and a Condor. Anyone have any info./input about these makes??
We are located in Ontario and like the fact that the Fleetwood is Canada made.

Ideally, we'd like to have a Class A coach. Our 7 month old daughter will be along for the ride :) We'll need as much room as possible. Does this mean that slideouts are a feature we definately want?? What about diesal vs. gas??

ANY advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Fleetwood or Condor??

Unread postby Festus2 on Fri May 29, 2009 10:00 pm

I am quite sure that Fleetwood RV has successfully filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and has closed most of their RV manufacturing plants and has ceased production of all RV units except some of their commercial -type trailers. Not sure about its status regarding the production of Class A motorhomes. I am also sure that any units purchased that are still under the warranty, that this warranty will no longer be honored by Fleetwood.
Personally, I would stay away from any Fleetwood product- new or old - and especially now that they have gone into bankruptcy. If we are talking about the same Fleetwood, they are not Canadian at all.
Cant comment on Condor products.
Buy something with a slide-out -- you will appreciate the increased space it creates.
Shop around and do your homework! Get a PDI online so you will have a checklist of things to go through before you sign on the dotted line. If you do not have a PDI , let me know and I can give you a site to go to which will give you a comprehensive list of things to look for and check BEFORE you buy.
Richard
Richard
2008 278 RKS Cougar 5th
2005 Chev 2500 Duramax
Festus2

Unread postby Festus2 on Fri May 29, 2009 10:25 pm

I neglected to comment on your question about gas vs diesel. I pull a 5th wheel with a diesel truck so we are talking about two different situations. If I were buying a Class A motorhome, I would definitely look into one with a diesel pusher as opposed to gas but that is a personal preference. You can debate the gas vs diesel issue and you will never come up with the "best" choice. For me, it is diesel but for many others, it is gas. Take your pick.
Richard
Richard
2008 278 RKS Cougar 5th
2005 Chev 2500 Duramax
Festus2

Unread postby cwit on Sat May 30, 2009 12:21 pm

I have been gas all my life and would never buy a diesel except in a motor home . You will never get as good a milage out of gas nor will you get as long a engine life.
cwit

Unread postby rvgringo on Tue May 04, 2010 1:02 pm

We've had three motorhomes, all diesel for the reliability and fuel economy. All were bought used; 1982 Airstream 28' front Subaru diesel - 1995 Flair 32' pusher - 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 1 slide, Cummins 270 + Allison 3006 transmission.
The Airstream was the old 'silver bullet', OK for weekends. The Flair was a Fleetwood product and pure junk. We finally learned and the Endeavor is one I would buy again. Now, as we consider full timing again, we only look at Monaco products, like the Endeavor, or Tiffin motorhomes.
So, to answer your inquiry: I would suggest a quality manufacturer, a diesel pusher and all the slides you can afford.
Enjoy.
rvgringo

Return to Class A Coaches